Ausmini
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:02 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Z Car Conversions??
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:02 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Anyone looked into doing these? Just came across it..

http://www.zcars.org.uk/kits2.php

Gumby-1978 Minivan, British Racing Green - 1310, high lift, mild cam, enlarged porting and chamber shape with big valve head, supercharged build in ever slow progress!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:17 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Way to pricey to buy their kit, $5300 + shipping + buying the engine, wiring, ECU, then you need to build it :roll: .
It'd be easily 10k just to get the project started.
But if you copy the idea and build from scratch then I guess it'd be about the same as any-other engine conversion. It would also be better balanced car and more traction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:09 pm 
998cc
998cc

Ive got their build DVD. Trawling through the UK forums suggest handling is a bit iffy as you approach the limits. Performance looks outstanding but have a read through some of the build threads to get a idea of some of the challenges you will face.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:28 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I would suggest that any car with rear wheel drive, a rear weight bias and plenty of power is tricky on the limit. Add a short wheelbase and you'd need fantastic reflexes to keep it at the limit. Don't these also have just trailing arm rear suspension? Eek!

M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:14 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Mokesta wrote:
I would suggest that any car with rear wheel drive, a rear weight bias and plenty of power is tricky on the limit. Add a short wheelbase and you'd need fantastic reflexes to keep it at the limit. Don't these also have just trailing arm rear suspension? Eek!

M

no idea to be honest...not looking at doing one myself...I have my starlet conversion toy for this :) just that a mate at work was looking into it after seeing the starlet in my mini and wanted to go down that path with the z cars... never had come across it until now..

Gumby-1978 Minivan, British Racing Green - 1310, high lift, mild cam, enlarged porting and chamber shape with big valve head, supercharged build in ever slow progress!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:12 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

If I was going to do a mid mount engine RWD I'd either mount the front subframe in the rear or create a new rear cradle with new wishbone suspension setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:01 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Never come across z cars? That's amazing!

Highly unlikely that any engineer would pass something like that here, you need to cut half the car out to make it work and needs a 6 point cage to be structurally safe, two things that make life difficult straight away

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:24 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

meeni wrote:
Never come across z cars? That's amazing!

Really you'd known about this all along had you now :evil: haha..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:00 am 
1098cc
1098cc

This one looks interesting. But still expensive.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Busa-Min ... 0277605823
Might be possible to get registered over here depending on a few details.
At least its Fwd. A Rwd mini is just wrong in my book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:21 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Wow, that one is 'interesting'. Very few elements in the sub frame. No connection between top and bottom. About as rigid as warm custard.

It has the same crap suspension as so many others. Why make custom top and bottom arms and drive shafts then have such an enormous scrub radius (distance between centre of tyre contact patch and where a line through the ball joints would touch the road)???? Surely you'd make the arms, driveshafts and rack ends longer and use wheels with better offset.

This thing, like so many other big-flare minis would kick back, torque steer and tram-line like a bastard.

Design flaws like this appear to be the norm in most of these pre-made subframes.

M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:39 am 
1098cc
1098cc

I could be wrong, but it seems that there are little, to no engineering qualifications for doing engine conversions in the UK.
Looking thru some of the build threads on the Uk forums it seems to go something like " I have some steel, a welder and an engine. Its now fitted in the engine bay and the wheels turn. JOB DONE!! "

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:46 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Mate z cars are the original bike engine guys, all the cars in the uk mini magazines feature z cars frames, their space frame race car is nuts!

Don't like the suspension geometry on that busamini frame..

I was going to build a bike engined hill climb mini but after driving a couple of cars with bike engines I'm not as interested, they don't have enough torque for a car (from personal experience) f20 2l Honda motor would feel nicer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:50 am 
Bimmer Twinky

Lockie,,, You must have been living under a rock for the last 15 years or so , i can`t believe you hadn`t known about Z cars... weired,,, i thought everyoine knew about them... have you never even read a mini magazine or checked around the mini forums on the net ???
seriously??? or are you just mucking around???

& Meeni,,, we have our Dept of Tpt Engineer up here who has already approved us to do a rear/mid engined mini conversion,,, & a bike engined conversion,,, so yes, it`s all "do-able"

You should put your heart & soul into everything you do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:03 am 
848cc
848cc

the busa conversion looks interesting, but at nearly 8,000 pounds without an engine :O what kinda drugs are they on

Post subject: busa mini
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:51 pm 
848cc
848cc

the cost of the conversion is in the drivebox with reverse. it is easy to hook up a chain to a diff but there are costs involved with making a drive box that will work and not having a chain in it to snap at any time and make nose.

i dont like the lay out they have i think it will be a pain in the arse to drive.

as for rego nothing is a problem if it's within the rules about 1 month ago the engineer i'm working with regod a full legal bike engined lotus 7 replica. that included passing the im240 testing noise etc etc. no corner cutting all within in the laws as he says to all his clients the problem has been that with the old system engineers could do what ever they wanted under the new system there are a full set of rules that are clear and dont seem to change so it is possible to rego bike engine cars no problems. worst case for a z cars it it has to be done as an icv and that isn't that much harder if you want to go down that path. he is hoping to get some more sweet rides on the road over the next few month just seems every on is to broke to finished them at the moment.