Ausmini
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:38 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Turbo Twinky stuff
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:36 pm 
Bimmer Twinky

Plenums, plenums & more plenums... :-)

well just a bit of an update on how all these Twinkys that i`m building are going,,, I have plenty here that we are building (approx 14x of them actually) & i`ve been batching everything

we have done/modified all the blocks so they have all been plugged & faced & drilled & tapped

all the pistons have been purchased & modified to suit their own particular application

all the blocks have now been bored to suit those new pistons

we are in the process of modifying, porting & overhauling all the twin-cam cyl heads,,, doing them in batches of 3x at a time actually :-)

& now , while i`m in the middle of all those, & a few full-race ford crossflow engines & a couple of 20v 1940cc toyota race engines,,, a couple of 1415cc stroker 5port race engines & one lonely old reco on an 850 that i`m doing ,,, i have finally got a little time do start making a pile of plenum chambers for the various different types of turbo twinkys that we are building.

so here`s a few snaps of whats happening in my shed right now-->

lots of plenums,,, Plenty of plenums,,, a Plethora of plenums :-)

whew!!!,,,, plenty more to come yet too.

You should put your heart & soul into everything you do.

Last edited by TheMiniMan on Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:12 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Thats some serious skills you have there matt ......great work

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:10 pm 
Bimmer Twinky

Ah thanks Bill, but i only cut em & shape em & fab them up ,
i get other people to weld them.
i wish i could weld them too :-) now that would be cool :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:24 pm 
848cc
848cc

Matt

As you would know i have the K1200 head and then i got the kit from you .

Tell me it seems you turbo more than you seem to use the throttle bodies that come with them with injectors. Is there a particular reason ?

Which is more reliable ?
which is more expensive to set up ?
which produces more power ? the turbo i assume?

Regards
Allan

P.s one day i hope to get mine all bolted together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:03 am 
Bimmer Twinky

simples--> more power with a turbo :-)

edit-->Which is more reliable ? --> the N/A system would have to be more reliable but only because it`s just too tempting to add more boost with the turbo :-) :-) :-)

which is more expensive to set up ? -->Turbo system costs way more

which produces more power ? the turbo i assume? -->Turbo for sure by approx twice the power at 9lbs-ish & even more power by adding even more boost :-) :-) :-)

i must admit tho, not all the engines im building are turbo`d, there is a few N/A ones & we will be using the std Bimmer throttle bodies with them yes

but most of the customers have chosen to go turbo so hence the production of so many plenum chambers

But the beauty of this type of engine is 2 fold--> one: its just sooooo smoooooth & sophisticated & civilized & nice to drive... not lumpy or rough like a hotted up 5-port

& 2: the power "Delivery" is just sweet as a nut,,, no waiting for it,,, no sudden uncontrollable hit of power stoopidly high in the power curve,,, just plain simple nice usable broad-spread power delivery... its just beautiful :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:54 pm 
848cc
848cc

Matt

As always an informative answer from you.
Only problem now is you have given me more to think about .

What heads are being currently set up ? 8V 16V 1100, 1200's
Regards
Allan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:08 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Swiftden, I'm also doing a twinki build and just to throw something else in the works...my engine will be NA but I will also be building a inlet plenum similar to the turbo ones Matt is building.
I see it as being more reliable/easy to me than using the BMW throttle bodies as I only have one TB to deal with and the air filter can be relocated where I want it. Just another way to skin a cat really.
I'm also trying to make slightly longer inlet runners compared to the std location of the BMW TB's which should reduce a bit of air turbulence which means a bit more power.

I should add I'm fitting it into a round nose it I was using a square nose mini I might be more tempted to use the BMW gear as fitting long runners and air filters would be easier to fit in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:04 am 
848cc
848cc

All right you'd better put me down for one. however Matt it's possible to have the throttle body on the end? I spose this is a stupid question - but say someone was planning on running high boost - would the plenum possibly expand / change shape being square? ok you can all laugh now.

thanks Paul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:39 am 
998cc
998cc

scuse my ignorance but what is the the round manfold with the flange ? I thought it was just a jig to get it all in line when welding but then I saw the flange.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:04 am 
Bimmer Twinky

i`m using the round plenum as a jig yes,,, bit it is still a proper plenum also to be used in turbo twinky application... just makes it easy for me to keep one here to use as a jig to hold everything nice & square :-)

& the alloy RHS sections are quite strong & rated with the ability to withstand way more than 20lbs of pressure.

But we do need to strap them onto the engine as they can pop right off if you don`t... & please don`t ask me why i know that happens :-) Just trust that the 4x hose clamps are not strong enough :-)

more designs happening, spiffy angled/round/tapered ones 80mm & 100mm diam,,, some with elongated internal pipes & big bell-mouths,,, we are also doing one for an Arden Crossflow head too -->

:-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:50 pm 
Bimmer Twinky

ok,,, so we are making cylindical ones of a few different varieties (shown in the previous pictures)

rectangular/box type ones,,, also with a few different designs both front mount intercooler type & side mount,,, (also shown in the previous pics)

& now we add another type--> the tapered round type-->

& yes i make all these bell-mouth pieces myself :-) pretty cool hey?-->

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:53 pm 
Bimmer Twinky

oh & i`m making one for Stewys Arden cross-flow 1600cc engine as well because he wants that injected now too :-)

stay tuned & i`ll throw some pics of that "Thing" up here soon too :-)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:02 pm 
Bimmer Twinky

oky doky,,, here`s a little Twinky up-ya-date for you all :-)

our plenum chambers are nearly done, they`ve all been welded up & nearly ready to show off, a bit of grinding & buffing up & pressure testing them & we should be done with those so i`ll snatch some pics of them shortly

But we are nearly finished a batch of 10x these oil drain/breather blocks

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo201/madmatttheminiman/20130905_165447_zpsacf75f99.jpg

they go onto the fuel pump hole in the back side of the block & help catch & drain away oil from the cyl head & also the turbo drain & also a breather can come off the top section of it too

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo201/madmatttheminiman/20130905_165658_zpsf1658451.jpg

Look like this when finished up-->

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo201/madmatttheminiman/20130905_171601_zpsa8c1b134.jpg

Looking kinda spunky hey?

cheers ,,, now get back to work !!!