Ausmini
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:58 am 
848cc
848cc

Harley wrote:
I'm looking into these L15a engines - so cheap! Like $200 for an engine, or $500 for one less than 2 years old! Unbelievable! I thinking I might design a frame for one of these engines myself! :)

Don't forget that you need the computer & loom, do your prices include these?.

Ash.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:55 am 
1360cc
1360cc

Im talking in terms of 'spare parts'. To do a full conversion you'd do it properly with a front cut or whole car.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:18 pm 
848cc
848cc

I'm thinking of getting a whole car (Jazz). Stat writefoffs are about $1000 for a newish one. That will include a ton of bits that can be onsold. No need to get a JDM front cut when there are so many locally.

Also whole car will include a few bits that could be useful;
Fuel pump
Retractable / inertia seat belts
Exhaust components

L13 / L15 have the same bore, im guessing same block too therefore size. Transmissdions seem to be 5Man, 5Auto and CVT. A one size suits all subframe would be good.

In the aero / defence world its common for multiple companies to build parts to an established baseline (set of drawings etc) and provide a certificate of conformance. If a type approval can be obtained for a well documented design it should be a case of finding fabricators that will certify they have built to that design (material, accuracy, welds etc). I'm not keen on publishing a design for weekend warriors to tack together with a Mig. The middle ground maybe a suplemental frame so folk can cut thier existing subframe and BOLT-ON a new front / side or which ever bit.

Its a bit premature to look at these optons with knowing how easily it will / wont fit. I'm probably 2 months from competeing my projects body, should really get that done before putting another car on the drive...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:48 pm 
848cc
848cc

Here are a couple of links

http://asia.vtec.net/Series/FitJazz/lseries/
http://hpd.honda.com/formula-f/specifications/#series=all-series&specs=HPD-L15A7-Formula-F_Engine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:39 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

willd wrote:
There has to be a market / need for an affordable conversion that is simple and isnt silly money. 5million minis built.... Most make more than 3pc carbon monoxide..

What im thinking is that I design and engineer a conversion, get my project complied in qld and publish the design open source / like minded folk can chip in if they feel like it. Suppliers can then use the data to manufacture parts to a known design and sell to make a buck. If there is a std design pack get an engineer / authorised person in each state to do compliance by similarity. Kind of like an STC for an aeroplane. Ie compliance plate for a few hundred not a couple o grand.

Im not interested In a design that is marginal or puts so much power into a 50 year oldcar that kids build them and wrap themselves around lamp posts and kill themselves. Any one who wants more than 120 hp can put in the hard yards.

I think this engine conversion already exists - Just look at 666s moke. That Daihatsu engine was nearly made to go in there.
The old Daihatsu engines are bomb-proof and parts are still available through Toyota.

Hmm....maybe another engine conversion project for me down the track won't be about cramming power in there, but making the car lighter instead.