Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:49 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:35 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

If this is a track car, what class will it be running in?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:23 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Location: Burpengary, Queensland - Home of Tricky Performance Engineering
Hey Meeni,

The car is being built specifically for Time Attack, and maybe the occasional hillclimb. For anymore info you will have to ask the owner I'm afraid.

My mandate was that it had to beat Porsches..... :shock:

Cheers,
Tricky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:10 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Didn't know mid engined cars like that had any classes to run in.. Very interesting. Hope he doesn't want to beat Carrera cup cars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:19 pm 
848cc
848cc

Won't be far off 0-100

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:22 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Probably not but 0-100 isn't everything

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:54 am 
848cc
848cc

Yes, so he will have to rely on having a high cornering speed as well.
Now what is it that minis are renouned for? :)
He'll have the front/back weight bias sorted too, with a mid-engined car.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:42 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Slugman wrote:
Yes, so he will have to rely on having a high cornering speed as well.
Now what is it that minis are renouned for? :)
He'll have the front/back weight bias sorted too, with a mid-engined car.

Hey Sluggo, how have you been mate?? Wish we had the NT weather down here at the moment, its cold!!

Hi Meeni,
I have calculated the cornering speed to be around 0.95-0.98G on most corners, maybe a bit more depending on the rubber condition (road legal rubber in new condition), the track condition (camber, off-camber, super-elevation or not and type of tarmac etc) and also depending on the size of the cohones on the driver.... :shock: I think once it gets sorted (spring rates, valving, sway bars etc) we could be looking at potential lateral G's of 1.2-1.3G, maybe even a bit higher if we use super-sticky slicks!

Weight bias is 48F:52R which is perfect for this car and allows the rear brakes to work better. Wont know for sure until I get it finished and on the scales to verify.

Acceleration should be akin with the Porsche cars depending, once again, on rubber. Leonidas is lighter, which helps, but this also affects traction (no compaction, no traction) which needs weight. After 100km/h though, all bets are off.

Braking G's are calculated to be in the order of 2.0-2.1G or very close to it, once again, dependent on rubber! Leo is running HUGE Brembo's off a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X but this may be a problem in getting brakes up to temp with such a light car (about 600kg's) so I need to do some work on pad selection there.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Tricky

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:53 am 
848cc
848cc

**** me! It's gonna be completely insane to drive at speed. :)
With mine - 175/45 R13's with coil-overs & a rear swaybar - I find I have good traction, but it lets go fairly suddenly.
The driver will have a lot of...... excitement..... finding the limits with that thing! :)
Hope the pedals are far apart. It'll be hard to drive with cojones that big.

Oh, & the weather, well what can I say. :)
No clouds for the next three months, & 30 degrees at 25% humidity. It's a hard life. :)
On the other hand, we are the skin-cancer capital of Aus.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:09 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Yes mate its gonna be epic for sure.

I am hoping with the revised weight bias rearwards, and the (very) tunable suspension its gonna give great feedback and be very communicative when it lets go - plenty of warning that the envelope is about to be exceeded.

I agree, to find the limits with Leonidas you would need plums the size of cantelopes!! Dont ask me to do it - I would have to ask the wife for my back as she wears them for earings dont you know.

I have extended the wheelbase by 20mm to help with the twitchiness, and that combined with the architecture, should provide plenty of stability, feel and feedback for a car of this dimension and weight.

Send it down, was 3 deg. C here last night!! :shock:

Cheers,
Tricky

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:06 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Hi Guys,

Time for a quick update methinks.....

We left Leonidas with the rear valence completed, and deseamed. While I was there, I did a quick patch job on the passenger side rear quarter which had taken a shunt in a previous life. I then had to tie the outside skin back into the boot floor, or what was left of it, as the corner rearwards of the wheel arch was stiil to be used. Once the outside had been ground back with the flap-dics, the finish was pretty good. With a skim-coat of filler and then some hi-fill, you would not now the repair had been undertaken - which is what you want really. It was a simple case of bending a small strip of 1.0mm into a right angle, then using the shrinker to put a curve in the piece. Once the fit was right, it ws simply welded to the floor and plug-welded (rosette welded) to the outside skin:

Now that the boot floor and skin had been patched, this area had to be reinforced as it forms part of the structural element which carries the rear subframe and handles all the stesses and loads from the rear subframe - lateral loads, thrust and braking. A piece not unlike the profile that went in above the boot opening was made to reinforce the lower boot lip from one side to the other. Instead of using some steel to form a part, I used some 50x50 rhs for the piece which I decided to make out of two pieces and put small cuts (kerfs) into the steel then weld them up when the correct profile was obtained. Once the correct curvature was obtained, I simply cut out the interfering boot lip area from the piece so it would sit flat on the floor and flat against the outer skin:

Both pieces in place and joined in the middle:

Profiled at the ends to follow the curvature of the outside skin:

Now that the rollcage had turned up, I decided to continue with the reinforcing in the rear and fabricate the upper mounting points for the rear rollcage stays. While this cage did not come with with the rear stays, it had the bolt-on parts for them so we decided to use them simply because the rollcage forms part of the structure that resists torsional stresses. We also made the decision to weld-in the roll cage instead of its intended use as a bolt-in item. It would be much more rigid this way. The location for the mounting point for the rear stays was always going to be bang smack in the middle of the C-pillar, so using CAD (Cardboard-Aided Design) once again a simple shape was drawn up that alowed sufficient area to weld the cage stay on, but not too big to impair anything else in the rear compartment. These top and bottom plates were then cut from 2.0mm steel with 12mm captive nuts welded to them as fixing points:

Then weld them into position (note that the captive nuts are now redundent, but we left them there anyway just in case we needed extra fixing points for some reason, like, say a dry sump reservoir or oil catch-can or something):

Now that the top plates were welded in, the profile for the front and bottom faces could be ascertained and 2mm plate cut for that. Once again, we bended then up in the press and welded in some captive nuts for use later as part of the subframe anchoring points:

And of course, the little side infill pieces were welded in too as can be seen:

While I was waiting for some bits to arrive, I decided to get on with doing other small bits n pieces around the car. First thing was to patch the transmission tunnel (exhaust tunnel) where the shifter had come up through the floor. Leonidas has, at one time, had both a pudding stirrer and the later type rod shifter. Both holes had to be patched as the Honda linkage will sit atop the floor without any penetrations through it:

More to come soon.

Cheers,
Tricky

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:58 pm 
848cc
848cc

I wish they had shows this good on tv... :shock:

Beautiful work Tricky.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:15 pm 
Give Ash some flowers Nick .

MOAR! Please

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:34 pm 
998cc
998cc

I really rate the attention to detail. Some very tricky engineering going on!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:44 pm 
848cc
848cc

Good work Tricksta

coming along very nicely

This is a massive undertaking bro but is looking so cool

Cheers Hallsey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:21 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Thanks guys for your very kind, and inspiring, words!!
More soon.

Cheers,
Tricky

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next