Ausmini
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:34 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Engineering advice
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:04 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi Everyone

I have been trying to start my conversion for over 12 years and I'm finally close to retirement so the time is now!

I'm doing a G13B engine swap in my 69 round nose with brakes and collapsible steering similar to what Jason from GTItech in Gosford used to do.

I have contacted a couple of engineers who advised me that when the rules changed in 2011 it included having to "prove" that the mod will sustain certain stresses. So the word of the certifying engineer is no longer accepted without actual physical testing (which in some cases can be destructive).

The advise has been to find an engineer that has had a design tested so we can copy that same one which would be generally accepted. Whilst I'm located South of Sydney I'm happy to deal with any engineer in NSW if I can avoid having to do physical testing

I am in no way looking at getting this job done in a dangerous or unsafe manner, I want to follow all the safety regulations and ADR requirements, I'm simply trying to avoid having to do time consuming testing

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Engineering advice
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:33 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

So the word of the certifying engineer is no longer accepted without actual physical testing (which in some cases can be destructive)....Absolute Madness :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:16 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

From the sounds of things - you're kinda screwed.

I would have a chat to another engineer as your first stop. People in NSW have engineered cars with all sorts of engines and nobody had to crash test anything to get there. If they did, and they have a frame that is 'approved' I can tell you now they won't give you the secret recipe easily, and copying one is not the same as having an approved one - so by that I mean, your engineer on his own logic shouldn't approve a copy.

What you may be better off doing is showing him a commercially available kit / product, like the frame that Allspeed Engineering sell, and ask him if you buy that and fit it to your car, will he support it?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:47 pm 
848cc
848cc

I saw an engineer here in Newcastle who will do it for me. I think it is unlikely it would need to be tested in a vehicle that was never subjected to any form of testing in the first place.
Contact service NSW and speak to the authorities. Then you will have the information and can either tell your engineer where they can find the correct information or find one who will do the certification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:36 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks guys
I found this info a little bizarre but hey... I haven't been following the legislative side of things for a while

I will make some inquiries with the authorities and see what the happens

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:14 am 
1360cc
1360cc

66MiniGTi wrote:
I saw an engineer here in Newcastle who will do it for me. I think it is unlikely it would need to be tested in a vehicle that was never subjected to any form of testing in the first place.
Contact service NSW and speak to the authorities. Then you will have the information and can either tell your engineer where they can find the correct information or find one who will do the certification.

Crash testing was conducted in Australia as well...but I like this one...give it a nudge with a big car and watch it go! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVTI4tXHGYE

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:07 pm 
848cc
848cc

Wow. There you go but hardly what is involved today.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:17 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

66MiniGTi wrote:
I think it is unlikely it would need to be tested in a vehicle that was never subjected to any form of testing in the first place.

The Clubman style body was crash tested here in Australia, at the Ford Proving Ground at Little River near Geelong. I don't think the round-nose went through that process as the ADR's requiring crash testing didn't come into force until the 1970's.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85906

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:27 pm 
848cc
848cc

That’s why I didn’t think they were tested. I was thinking selfishly, I’m a Morris man [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:15 pm 
998cc
998cc

Because I have made drastic changes to the structure of my mini, it is considered an ICV.
The only testing that I have to have done is a Torsion test.
You attach a beam across the back of the chassis (in my case the strut towers) and another one across the front (strut towers again) and then one of them is loaded to place a torsional load on the car.
The deflection of the car is measured and provided it is below the maximum deflection criteria it is deemed structurally sound.
As you are not changing the structure of the car but the engine mounting frame I would expect the engineer to “assess” it for being fit for purpose.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:01 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

winabbey wrote:
66MiniGTi wrote:
I think it is unlikely it would need to be tested in a vehicle that was never subjected to any form of testing in the first place.

The Clubman style body was crash tested here in Australia, at the Ford Proving Ground at Little River near Geelong. I don't think the round-nose went through that process as the ADR's requiring crash testing didn't come into force until the 1970's.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85906

Still looking...but a BLMC insider said: the MGB came out of it pretty well. I remember when they did the 35 MPH barrier crash test on the Moke and it was the only car they were able to drive after it-it just bounced off the wall.