Ausmini
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:10 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:13 pm 
848cc
848cc

OK, so im tossing up what to do next with my mini. As much as I like the old A-series, it has its issues, and to build an engine that makes anything over 100hp is big $$$. One of the options i've been exploring lately is the Toyota 4E-FTE out of a GT Starlet. As with the likes of Honda and Suzuki conversions, are there any ready made subframes that use the standard suspension available for this swap? Or is it a case of having everything made from scratch using a standard Mini subframe? I want to retain all the original front end of my car, so a fibreglass or extended front isn't really an option for me. It'll always be a road car, with the intention of doing the odd track day for a laugh, so massive horsepower isn't a priority, just something that'll give bigger cars a fright on the track and keep up with the traffic without screaming its guts out :lol: I know I'll obviously need to convert to discs, and i'll definitely be upgrading the cones and shocks, but what else is involved, i.e. wiring, mounting the shifter, exhaust, etc? I really only want to use the Starlet engine loom if possible and leave the rest of the standard mini loom intact for the sake of simplicity. Can anyone point me in the right direction here, or suggest any alternatives? The 4EFTE looks like a hoot and looks like it'd fit quite well in the Clubman engine bay as opposed to a Honda B series, 4AGE or Vauxhall motor...

Also considering the much less common Honda City Turbo engine, if its any easier...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:25 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Where is the car located? If you're in Scotland it may be easier to see what kits are available in the UK. Some people do make the subframes for some engines here in Australia.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:28 pm 
848cc
848cc

Nah i'm in New Zealand mate, my permanent but second home :P

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:30 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

4EFTE is probably a good choice for you considering your intended use, if you don't go that way the B16 / B18 would be a good choice for simplicity because you could buy a kit from overseas.

The Toyota engine would be more work at the start because you'd most likely have to make the frame and sort the shafts yourself, but it's an easier fit into the car and there are lots of these conversions documented on forums to help.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:25 pm 
848cc
848cc

Any links mate? Obviously if I were to go through with this, i'd prefer a subframe that's ready made, as I'm certainly no fabricator. There are quite a few places over here that could easily make driveshafts, after that, its just a case of actually having the engine sitting in the car, wiring, sorting the shifter out and fitting up an exhaust.

Can the standard brake and clutch master cylinders be used?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:53 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Don't take this the wrong way, but you'll be in for a nasty shock if you think it's that simple.
I'm doing two conversions simultaneously - trust me the subframe and driveshafts are the easy bit - even if you make them yourself!

Peoples build threads always make things look easy but they aren't.
This is the first thread that came to mind, make a cuppa and ave a read.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=33099

As for the brakes, it's not upto us on this forum, its upto your certifying engineer.......but usually they can be.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:55 pm 
848cc
848cc

Crikey :shock:

It's certainly not something you can just plod away at over 6 months!

I'm honestly stuck. The cost and complexity for a decent power gain (and reliability) from the 4E, or the simplicity, but still big cost, less reliability and far less power from an A-series...

If my 998 wasn't getting tired, i'd honestly be tickling it up, but since cooking it, it certainly has lost a bit of life, 1275's seem to be as rare as chooks dentures over here and most of the 1100's and 998's that come up for sale are sold in unknown, "as is where is" condition...

The other option i've considered, is a forced induction 1100 or 998, but again, build costs can soar massively and there is a definite disadvantage when it comes to reliability...

Stumped :|

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:12 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Location: Burpengary, Queensland - Home of Tricky Performance Engineering
There are a few B16/B18 Honda VTEC-powered Mini's getting around in NZ. I think Pat Williams has the names of a few. Why not go and talk to them and get some good intel first-hand....????

I think if you were dedicated and had the resources to apply to the project (read: time) then you could get it done in under six-months!!

As I said in another thread on this forum, if it comes down to the 'fun factor' and how much you want a car that is somewhat 'exclusive' and also the bragging rights to say 'I did it myself'. If all these things blow your skirt up, then doing an engine conversion is the way to go.

Simply, if you polled the owners on the forum who actually have done the conversion and drive their cars regularly, then none of them would ever go back to an A-series.
Just my $0.02

Cheers,
Tricky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:14 pm 
848cc
848cc

I definitely don't have time, as such, being a truck driver, and one who works saturdays at that :(

I could do most of the actual installation, its the engineering side I'm not competent with. I got an email back from Allspeed in the UK regarding a complete subframe, they don't do anything for the 4E but the Honda subframe is apparently not far off and could be easily modified, or they can supply a bare subframe that could have mounts and any additional bracing added locally. At just over $2000 for a bare subframe though, it's not cheap...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:58 pm 
848cc
848cc

As one of those driving a conversion at least every few days, the chances of me going back to an A-series is.... Nil. 8)
I also know how much it costs, since I kept a spreadsheet with everything I bought. :shock:
It's. Not. Cheap. & that's with me doing a lot of the work myself, with a Watsons frame.
OK, so I went B18C, which bumped the cost up, but I estimate that it only added about 1/6th to the total bill compared to what it would be if I had gone with a B16
It also took me 8 years of weekends, but not every weekend of course. How much time did you say you had? :?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:51 pm 
848cc
848cc

And that's just it. When you look at it like that, it's just not practical :(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:20 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Location: Burpengary, Queensland - Home of Tricky Performance Engineering
The conversion road is not the right path for everyone I'm afraid!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:15 pm 
848cc
848cc

Unfortunately not :( To be honest I think I wont mind the quirks of an A-series so much once I find myself a decent daily driver, and just put the Mini away for weekends... The next problem is finding a 1275 over here that isn't crack money :shock:

Wish I hadn't sold my last engine...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:31 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Nothing wrong with the A-series.
Wanna go 'fast'? Buy a Toyota Starlet GT!
Wanna go real fast? Buy something fast!