Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:14 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:52 pm 
998cc
998cc

Here you go.

Took some finding, but here's a pic from page 61 of Tricky's build thread that seems to show what you need. Looks like you;ll need to mode the alloy mount (grind off the fin bits so it sits flat) or find a steel one.

Cheers
Madmorrie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:59 am 
1098cc
1098cc

madmorrie wrote:
Here you go.

Took some finding, but here's a pic from page 61 of Tricky's build thread that seems to show what you need. Looks like you;ll need to mode the alloy mount (grind off the fin bits so it sits flat) or find a steel one.

Cheers
Madmorrie

Thanks Madmorrie, you're a legend.

I was wondering if that's how it fit, as that was the only way I could see the bolt holes lining up. But the bracket fouls the engine (which is why I dismissed that idea) it might need to be ground down a little.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:40 am 
1098cc
1098cc

So I've made some progress, and the engine is in. Required a few modifications for clearances, but not much: https://youtu.be/VqekO_9Z_pw

Now I'm looking at radiators and front-mount intercoolers. I'd prefer to get an off-the-shelf item, but for the intercooler in particular that's looking difficult. I'm planning on using an aftermarket Datsun 1200 radiator, which sounds like it won't be enough, but it has a much higher volume than the original starlet GT radiator, and very similar to the half size aftermarket radiators used for larger turbos in the same car (radiator isn't as long, but extra cores).

I was thinking about using a Discovery 200TDI intercooler, as it fits nicely under the bonnet catch. It is however a little too long. Another option is an MR2 intercooler, but that is 100mm thick and will hit the turbo outlet. Even the Discovery intercooler might require the grille to be modified for space. So I might end up going down the custom route.

If anyone else has had a custom made intercooler I'd be interested to know where, and how much it cost.

Another snag is the oil filter. Most filter relocation kits attach to the bolt-on oil filter mount, but even my mount doesn't have the clearance. I'm not sure if I can just fit one to mount like tricky has (seen in his post here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=22654&p=896317#p896317) or if that is a custom made job. If I can fit a regular mount there, I can feed the turbo with a t-piece from the oil pressure sender hole.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:50 pm 
998cc
998cc

Irish Yobbo wrote:
If anyone else has had a custom made intercooler I'd be interested to know where, and how much it cost.

Another snag is the oil filter. Most filter relocation kits attach to the bolt-on oil filter mount, but even my mount doesn't have the clearance. I'm not sure if I can just fit one to mount like tricky has (seen in his post here: http://www.ausmini.com/forums/viewtopic ... 17#p896317) or if that is a custom made job. If I can fit a regular mount there, I can feed the turbo with a t-piece from the oil pressure sender hole.

I have a custom made intercooler (approx 370W x 190W x 50mm) and after getting quoted stupid money $600-800 locally for a intercooler that small, I ended up getting one custom made in China. It cost me around $150 and I got a custom radiator made at the same time for the same cost. Pressure tested with no leaks too.

The oil filter relocation kit that Tricky had looks the same as mine so it's not custom. The piece that screws onto the factory filter location however - you just need to use some 90deg bends off that piece for the oil lines as it's tight for room down there as you would know

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:22 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

I've sorted the oil filter relocator - a few questions on the Aus Starlet forum sort that out.

I might go down the cutom intercooler route, but my first step I think is to get the radiator and make it fit, then see how much space I really have to work with. The discovery intercooler is still a real option - if I modify the engine bay just behind the grill and widen it by 1cm each side, that should make things fit. I though there might be clearance issues with the grill, but I realised that my grill was actually quite bent; the tabs at the bottom were too far out which caused the body of the grill to come further in.