Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:14 am 
848cc
848cc

9YaTaH wrote:
I think your ginger beer might be setting a precedent here (possibly a "dangerous" precedent)...there are many conversions on the road where a collapsible steering column wasn't a "requirement" :?

Let me change that to IMO then :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:08 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

My micra conversion doesn't have a collapsable steering column, but that was more related to the engine not increasing in size (still a 1275cc just cg13de) if I remember correctly. There have been several people argue successfully I understand that as the engine and subframe comes back it takes the steering rack with it pivoting it forwards and away from the driver. But as above it was a hurdle I didn't have to clear.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:39 am 
848cc
848cc

Attachment:
IMG_4817.JPG

An update for anyone interested

leyland mini collapsible column complete from Alien retro columns. Fairly nice and original looking. Look them up if you need one

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:58 am 
1360cc
1360cc

That looks pretty neat- do you know if they're scratch made or modified originals?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:45 am 
848cc
848cc

Harley wrote:
That looks pretty neat- do you know if they're scratch made or modified originals?

This uses the standard column. You could easily request something universal though .

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:36 am 
848cc
848cc

Warning - Rant ahead!
While I understand that a collapsible column may be safer, I am still angry when it is demanded that I/we have to modify a car in other ways that are unrelated to the modifications we are doing.
The column met the standards of the time, which are used to determine if it is legal.
If there is a more powerful engine in the car, so what? How does that make any difference in an identical impact AT THE SAME SPEED OF THE ORIGINAL TEST.
The old argument of "It's safer, so you have to do it." is a never-ending list until you end up with a brand new car.

I have a more powerful & heavier engine, so I also upgraded the brakes, suspension, & everything connecting them all together. Seats are now modern, on rails instead of a forward-folding hinge. It's all been engineered, inspected & approved. That's where it ends.

The engineers or bureaucrats that demand that an old car be modified so that everything is modern need to justify why they are making the decision, as IMHO they are just on a power-trip.
As a ludicrous & fictitious example - Model-T Fords do not require seatbelts. Put LED lights on a Model-T and suddenly someone says; "Ahh, sorry mate, you have to install seatbelts & disc brakes now. Oh, better add crumple zones, & air-bags. Did I say air-bags? Might as well include steel wheels too, those wooden spokes look a bit flimsy."
Yes, I have a bee in my bonnet over this. It started when my heavily modified car got rejected for having one of those loud red air-horns you get from Super-Crap. Single compressor, single horn. I had to put the tiny asthmatic original horn back on to get it passed. When they pick on stupid stuff like that because it's "Not standard", then turn around 10 secs later & tell you that you have to modify something AWAY from standard, it really sticks in the mind. So what was the standard item they didn't like? The tiny accelerator pedal.
Rant over.

Finally, thanks Bennjamin for the info on the column. :) At some stage in the future I might contact them to get one for my car.
But, but, but.... you just said above.... but.......
Forcing someone to modify a car away from original & LEGAL specs is bad, but allowing someone to do so to make it safer is good. I'd like a shorter column so I can fit a Mountney removable steering wheel, which are locked on with a key, & street legal. If it becomes a little safer by doing so, then that's great.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:25 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

1.8L is a LOT of Sunshine :!: 8)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:04 pm 
848cc
848cc

9YaTaH wrote:

Yes it is. I get checked for skin-cancer every year. 8)
The non-assisted 10" discs pull it up very well though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:32 pm 
848cc
848cc

Slug , for whatever reason the upgrade to a newer motor pulls along the rules that apply to it.
It's weird - I don't have to upgrade my shonky seat belts or forward flying seats !

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:47 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

anyone who can make sense of the 'stupid' rules they put forward is better than me.
How come I could weld a few bits of tube together, whack some fat wheels and a monster v8 in it and rego it and drive it everyday, but if I want to put a modern engine in my mini I have to just about transform the whole car into a new one.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:08 pm 
848cc
848cc

having engineered cars in the past, if you want the car finished and the engineer asks for blue door handles, the car gets blue door handles.
you can argue some things with an engineer and win him over but most times you end up building the car the engineer wants you to build.
i wanted to rear mount a radiator and engineers refused, stating that because the radiator was no longer in the airflow he wouldn't pass it even though i was using an AU falcon radiator to cool a 1.6 Suzuki
ended up being too big a restriction, so now i don't build cars for the road.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:47 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

The engineer has to show or at least quote the rule that applies to the modification in question.

If it was me applying to the engineer, I'd first ask if he has had experience with the modification planned and also spend an hour with them discussing what is required. My brother has just had Toyota powered Morris Minor done. No silly requests or nasty surprises. :-)

Last edited by peterb on Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:51 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Slugman wrote:
9YaTaH wrote:

Yes it is. I get checked for skin-cancer every year. 8)
The non-assisted 10" discs pull it up very well though.

:D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:16 am 
848cc
848cc

Bennjamin wrote:
Slug , for whatever reason the upgrade to a newer motor pulls along the rules that apply to it.
It's weird - I don't have to upgrade my shonky seat belts or forward flying seats !

Really? I was told that the emissions rules were based on the age of the car body, not the motor. That meant I didn't need to put a catalytic converter on if I didn't want to, & I could only be tested against 1977-78 regs. I put one on anyway. :roll: Every time I go over the pits they look closely at my seatbelts, just in case they are frayed or worn.
Inspectors up here would have kittens if they saw the original forward-folding mini seats, held on with a couple of wing-nut bolts. :lol: It cost me a couple of grand to get modern seats put in, but every time I sit in the car, I'm reminded that it was worth it.
Edit - Look what I found! Time for some light reading tonight.
https://infrastructure.gov.au/roads/motor/design/second_edition_adrs.aspx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:07 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Slugman wrote:
Really? I was told that the emissions rules were based on the age of the car body, not the motor. That meant I didn't need to put a catalytic converter on if I didn't want to, & I could only be tested against 1977-78 regs. I put one on anyway. :roll:

You're correct, I got my micra mini conversion emissions tested on a request from my engineer, once I got down there the guys at the RMS NSW rego dept asked why I was there as Spot was a 67 so no regs applied other than noise I think... I let the engineer know, his reply was he preferred they were tested, it's free in NSW and I had to got to Sydney anyway to get it tuned.