Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:46 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:41 am 
848cc
848cc

peterb wrote:
Doesn't it work on some sort of weird calculations done by engineers? i, e. Amount of modifications to original parts?

Best to start with what state you live in - then jump on the relevant roads and maritime site and do abit of research from there. Then its up to your engineer to tell you what can do and what cannot. The rules stretch beyond the PDFs and ADR rules on the official sites and are also open to interpretation...its like the dam bible.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:46 am 
1098cc
1098cc

From my experience engineers will be ok with most things they regard as an improvement in safety or improvement in the performance of a safety related item. AWD would be regarded by many as an improvement in the handling and traction performance of the vehicle, particular if the engine remains in the front, a drive bias to the front may further put an engineer's mind at ease.

It's what you'd have to do to the car body, suspension and subframe that'd concern the engineer in my opinion. I'd be looking for an AWD box and engine most compatible with a transverse engine and as few modification to the body as possible. I remember barricade's (i think) 4efte build discussing AWD at some point, it might be worth searching for, one problem was where to run the exhaust, I remember suggesting down the sills... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:50 am 
848cc
848cc

Watching the work of Shortiee and .T. with interest...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:09 am 
848cc
848cc

Hi Peoples,

Hope everyone is well.

Its been a while, apologies for the radio silence. Have a new addition to the family & considering its our first child, it has been roller-coaster but couldn't be happier :)

I see there has been a bit of chat about ICV / Engineering. Now to my best of knowledge & many questions asked to mates (who are in the game - Engineer) it goes as the following;

ICV - Individually Constructed Vehicle - This only applies to cars built from the ground up. This may include custom (unregulated) chassis, engine, shell & more. So basically if a make a custom (new) car with a unique one off engine/chassis that is not a standard factory build (approved). Then i will definitely be a ICV and will have to do all these specialty tests like emission etc. (e.g - Kit Car, Hot Rod & Fibreglass vehicle etc)

As this mini will consist off mostly already approved parts, such as mini body & starlet engine & running gear. Only major modification done will be the floor pan. Which can be engineered and is not deemed "custom" enough to be considered a ICV.

As fuzzy-hair-man mentioned the AWD is considered a massive advantage from the Engineers perspective. So what i've been told i would have to do are the following;

- Must be AWD for all the below to apply, RWD/FWD will call for more add-ons.
- High performance slot/vent brakes (at that power, for me that's a must anyways)
- Minimum 6 point rollcage - may need to do 8/9 point depending on final weigh in after reduction.
- Front/Rear subframes (properly done, certified & 100% solid mounting)
- Front/Rear top sway bars - Again certified.

Given its a very light car & a powerful engine, there was concerns of body twist as it launches. Again the AWD & above requirements put a stop to that happening.

Now heaps of the above can also be dramatically lessened by dropping in a Starlet AWD Floor Pan which would have all the appropriate mounts, fuel tank, diff tunnel, gearbox, exhaust spacing etc.

Last edited by Shortiee on Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:17 am 
848cc
848cc

Now back to the topic of an AWD gearbox.

Unfortunately none of the gearboxes mentioned will work with the exception of one, being the AE95 AWD Collora. Now even if this gearbox is modified, apparently it wont even hold up to half of my desired horsepower.

So that's it, my only option is to get a starlet awd gearbox & running gear.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:43 am 
848cc
848cc

Toby

Great pickup mate !!! Very hard to find now.

Complete setup? Everything? gearbox,tailshaft,diff etc ? Auto or manual? WOW lucky man. You interested in selling it....? lmao :P
Good luck with your project mate, sounds amazing.... definitely keeping my eye on this one.

Unfortunately i wont be doing any hand work myself. It's all of to the pros.
"Deep Pockets" lol ..... For me, I apply that saying to everything these days. Nothing comes cheap, not even Life ! lol

What's on the plans for your project? are you doing your own floor pan fabrication ?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:53 am 
848cc
848cc

Shortiee - just responded to your thread on toymods.

New addition - that will massively reduce the amount of spare time you have. We have 3 kids (oldest is 7) & I'm lucky if i get a couple of hours a week to play in the shed (& thats only in the evenings after the kids are asleep)

Very hard setup to find globally now.

I have everything i need - gearbox, centre diff, tailshaft & coupling & rear diff centre & the inner cv joint (very different to any cv joint i've ever seen)

& no it's not for sale.

There was a car for sale in qld that would be a suitable donor for you - no idea if its still available though! I'll have a sniff around.

I'll do all the fabrication work myself (because I can) will be a long term project this one!!

T

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:36 pm 
998cc
998cc

.T. wrote:
Shortiee - just responded to your thread on toymods.

New addition - that will massively reduce the amount of spare time you have. We have 3 kids (oldest is 7)

T

Perfect age to start training the younglings.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:59 pm 
Yay For Hay!

I've just spent a few minutes stalking you two on toymods... Toby it looks like you're in charge of Bolwell, so I reckon you must have a pretty bloody good workshop to play in!

A very long time ago (like 12 years) I was told about a Cultus AWD in Ballarat that was sitting in a chook shed. I couldn't track it down so looked at other options and found "ringmini" with his D series Honda Civic based ute. I tracked down a couple of those, wrecked one and have another one as a complete car.

I have lots of drawings & CAD models and had the go-ahead from an engineer a long time ago (though the relationship fell apart). Rear suspension either a standard-ish subframe with custom radius arms that will take a Cooper S CV joint and rotor, or a front subframe with the steering arms tied off (like a twini).

My delay is that I'm limited by space and a wife-imposed 2 car cap... I have my S and a traveller, and don't want to part with either of them. I got hold of a Rover front-cut a while ago and planned to do the conversion in to that just to get something happening. I thought maybe I'd get some work done on it in 2016, but haven't - maybe 2017 will be more successful

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:52 am 
848cc
848cc

not impressed - stupid photobucket crashed & took my whole reply with it. now idea how.... crap software!

all 3 kids very interested in cars - obsessed with minis & i don't know why (all our other cars are toyota except tr7, which is basically a toyota with triumph shell now anyway)
thinking about buying a r53 as a cheap runabout......

Simon,
I dont run bolwell - just the car part, which is a small skunkworks part really. The workshop is smaller than you might imagine. although I have got some more toys coming in the new year whick should allow me to do just about anything i need to!

civic 4x4 very rare (then again so is a starlet 4x4!) good basis though

my rear subframe will be based on the mini rear, with the laser 4x4 subframe bits with a rav4 diff - hybrid of bits really!

but i got it cheap, so i can't complain!
i was playing with the ford (mazda) diff the other day & i think with some minor mods I could get the toyota internals into it - its very close dimensionally (not worth the stuffing around though)

hey your rover frontcut - it wouldn't happen to have a 3-dial walnut dash in it thats surplus to your requirements would it? wife really wants one for the mini (its her car)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:39 pm 
Yay For Hay!

.T. wrote:
Simon,
I dont run bolwell - just the car part, which is a small skunkworks part really. The workshop is smaller than you might imagine. although I have got some more toys coming in the new year whick should allow me to do just about anything i need to!

sounds brilliant! I guess you don't need a lot of space for small volume manufacture, but you definitely need good people and machinery.

Will I be able to email solidworks files your CAD machines directly???!! :D

.T. wrote:
civic 4x4 very rare (then again so is a starlet 4x4!) good basis though

true - my guess is that a couple of hundred were sold in Australia in '88-'89 before the CRV came out. They had single cam carb motors, but I have a pair of twin cam injected motors to go with them. I paid good money for the first wagon, and then for the engine to go with it, then found another wagon and a whole CRX for almost nothing... the 2nd wagon does have 480,000km on it though :shock:

There is a bloke in SA putting CRV gear into a mini van, so a B series motor. He's using an MX5 rear cradle. He has a thread in the members gallery somewhere

.T. wrote:
my rear subframe will be based on the mini rear, with the laser 4x4 subframe bits with a rav4 diff - hybrid of bits really!

but i got it cheap, so i can't complain!
i was playing with the ford (mazda) diff the other day & i think with some minor mods I could get the toyota internals into it - its very close dimensionally (not worth the stuffing around though)

nice - those bars will be easy to shorten or reproduce for mounting in the mini subframe - I wouldn't mind a close-up of one side - I dug into your photobucket but the original is small too... I wonder if a mini front upright could be mounted in a similar way

.T. wrote:
hey your rover frontcut - it wouldn't happen to have a 3-dial walnut dash in it thats surplus to your requirements would it? wife really wants one for the mini (its her car)

sorry, no, I only got the panels

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:48 am 
848cc
848cc

Simon,

Dont have and cnc machinery here! can not justify the equipment expense - however I can give you our machinist's details - they are pretty good & won't rip you off. can do cad work too so if it needs modifying they can do the work for you.

still got the crx? (one of my bucket list cars....)

seen the mx5/ mini rear subframes - i think i could do better, & got the tx3 rear end for almost nothing (could have gotten the whole car) & it's more "tune-able" too being welded bits! is about 150mm too wide though, but thats not a major deal

I can take more pics for you if you like. links are used on mazda 323's etc too from the look of it, so parts will be easy to get hold of

drat. no big deal, not as if i'm in a hurry to get a dash anyway!

T

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:25 pm 
Yay For Hay!

.T. wrote:
still got the crx? (one of my bucket list cars....)

nah, the CRX had been crashed (just enough to squash the radiator) and was in a wreckers. I asked for the motor, they said take the whole car - $300 I think.... I cut it up & scrapped it, kept the engine as a front cut for a while then took it out & ditched the nose

.T. wrote:

seen the mx5/ mini rear subframes - i think i could do better, & got the tx3 rear end for almost nothing (could have gotten the whole car) & it's more "tune-able" too being welded bits! is about 150mm too wide though, but thats not a major deal

I can take more pics for you if you like. links are used on mazda 323's etc too from the look of it, so parts will be easy to get hold of

I would like to see more details of it, my most likely rear-end setup is a front subframe mounted in the back, but always looking for different options

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:34 pm 
848cc
848cc

some more ford/mazda irs pics

its fairly common to upgrade the gearbox & diff in highly modified 4x4 Mazda's & tx3's to gt4 items - the gt4 diff is a bigger & heavier duty version of the rav4 unit I'm going to use. below pic is mazda rear subframe with gt4 diff mounted

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:27 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Just if you guys haven't seen these videos yet.

1.5L starlet turbo 400bhp https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJB8rP_bwrs

AWD stock civic with low boost https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ARaCKd8-0c

AWD civic, E85, semi/built, 342bhp 26psi https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ARaCKd8-0c

I'll be honest, I haven't read all the posts but why are you sticking with the starlet/Toyota engine when you have the complete Civic assembly. IMO I'd use the civic setup from front to rear instead of chopping and changing between all the other parts (Toyota, Mazda, Honda etc) to build a AWD turbo setup when the civic has the potential while using the stock parts :?:
Just asking???