Ausmini
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:53 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:07 pm 
998cc
998cc

Stuwey wrote:
I'd be leaning towards that rear box. Some of those twin-tip ones drone like a bastard on a 40hp mini, let alone with a VTEC at the front of it.

This might sound a bit off topic but.
I once had an old two door Range Rover with a P76 4.4 litre V8, Perry extractors and a 2-1/2" exhaust system.
It had a beautiful deep V8 rumble to die for. It wasn't loud but the deep throaty note carried for miles AND it did not drone inside. In fact it was surprisingly quiet.
To dress up the Rangy I decided to fit a fancy chrome 1 into 2 extension on the back.
It looked pretty tough, but bugger me did it drone :twisted:
It's inaugural run was up to Newcastle from Sydney. Before we returned the next morning I stuffed a rag in one pipe and the drone disappeared.
I did get stopped by the constabulary on the way home to query the rag, so I explained.

You could try plugging one of the exhaust tips to see what happens :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:02 pm 
848cc
848cc

Phil 850 wrote:
Stuwey wrote:
I'd be leaning towards that rear box. Some of those twin-tip ones drone like a bastard on a 40hp mini, let alone with a VTEC at the front of it.

I once had an old two door Range Rover with a P76 4.4 litre V8, Perry extractors and a 2-1/2" exhaust system.
It had a beautiful deep V8 rumble to die for. It wasn't loud but the deep throaty note carried for miles AND it did not drone inside. In fact it was surprisingly quiet.
To dress up the Rangy I decided to fit a fancy chrome 1 into 2 extension on the back.
It's inaugural run was up to Newcastle from Sydney. Before we returned the next morning I stuffed a rag in one pipe and the drone disappeared.
I did get stopped by the constabulary on the way home to query the rag, so I explained.

Interesting. I'll give it a go. I still have the single tip so if it works then it's an easy fix.

Previously owned the Red VTEC Mini (B16A)

Project currently on the go:
1961 Morris mini
Engine conversion - WRX EJ255

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:23 am 
848cc
848cc

My drones a little too - I run the factory header/y piece under the sump so a flexy, then to a hotdog or coby, squashed flat to give clearance, then a modern large 3 chamber, offset exit, back box, set in the traditional side manner, exiting under the fuel tank....has a 2 3/4" chrome extension...... All original mini mounts at rear. I have been experimenting with lowering the exit point as well as bringing it backwards, clearer more of the car, so that the exit point is less in negative pressure around the back of the car.... I've spent a fair bit of time, sound proofing the boot as well as the passenger side of the car at the kick board under the rear seat - made a difference.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:05 am 
1360cc
1360cc

This discussion isn't filling me with confidence about the system I made for my car:
Honda downpipes, cat, and a single RSR sports muffler - that's it! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:12 pm 
848cc
848cc

Dutchy1978 wrote:
Phil 850 wrote:
Stuwey wrote:

Interesting. I'll give it a go. I still have the single tip so if it works then it's an easy fix.

Unfortunately it didn't make a difference on mine.

1961 Morris mini

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:13 pm 
848cc
848cc

Harley wrote:
This discussion isn't filling me with confidence about the system I made for my car:
Honda downpipes, cat, and a single RSR sports muffler - that's it! :lol:

You might be ok with the windows down. Ha

1961 Morris mini