Ausmini
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:54 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:48 am 
848cc
848cc

Hi Guys
I'm new to the forums here! Just looking at embarking on a Vtec Mini Conversion on my 1999 Rover Mini Cooper.
Has anyone done a Vtec conversion using an off the shelf kit such as the MiniTec one - http://www.minimania.com/part/MT530000/Vtec-B-Series-Engine-Conversion-Kit-For-Mini-Cooper or the AllSpeed one - http://www.allspeedengineering.com/index.php/honda/subframes2012-03-16-09-56-35/vtec-subframe-for-classic-mini-b16-b18-detail?

Still at the planning stage and want to know if anyone had experiences with any of these kits and was able to get it to pass engineering in Aust?

Thanks
Regards
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:29 am 
998cc
998cc

Mighty Car mods just did a MiniTec one (http://superfastminis.com/MTB2EnginePackage.html) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ8RLM8eWRU). I do not know how they went with the eng.

I talked to Ben from Minitec a while ago, and they can build them so they fit in with the 25mm max. track increase over the maximum avaliable for your model if you need them too as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:10 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Find an engineer first. Shop for kits but don't buy.

First thing that springs to mind is a 99 model mini has an SRS Airbag in it and the alterations to the front end strength and (in most cases) steering rack and you would find most engineers woudn't particularly like this.

The state you're in may have a small influence too. As mentioned, MCM did the conversion to their late model car however it's not been seen in any videos since they got it running a good year ago - whether its been engineered yet I'm not sure.

Other than those guys, there aren't a lot of late rovers with VTECs in them.

Dutchymini and I both have rovers with VTECS in them, but they're earlier than the MK7 cars with the SRS, and we didnt buy kits we did the work ourselves. Speaking for myself - my engineer wasn't happy with a kit hence doing my own.

I know of three cars in Vic with the Minitec kit and were straight forward enough to build, but none are road registered - those kits make the cars too wide.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:20 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

According to the RMS rego check the MCM car is registered for another year as of yesterday...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:33 pm 
848cc
848cc

I've looked at conversions before and got quite far down the road with my own before selling it to buy a house. Have a search on Facebook for mick's marauding mini he is documenting his conversion and it is looking really cool and quite legit. This is a photo of as far as I got. Good luck this process is not cheap. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:46 pm 
998cc
998cc

If I went the Vtec path I'd use the Allspeed (or my own) to keep the track standard. Far less rego issues that way.
Plus it would look bog standard but scare the $xx7 out of V8 at the lights (at the drags of course) 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:33 am 
848cc
848cc

Exactly what Harley said, get an engineer first to tell you what they're willing to sign off on. We've all seen a conversion done then when they go to the engineer it turns to crap as nothing meets their requirements and you end up disappointed and angry.
I too made my own subframe and have been happy with it. Given that no mini is built the same there will always be modifications required to make an off the shelf kit fit. All speed kits are built for RHD and will be less likely to interfere with the steering rack.
Do plenty of research, speak to those that are doing them or have done it and don't ever think that it will be a 5 min job. The kits are only half the job. There is a lot of little mods required that people don't mention that make the build a lengthy process.
If you are in Melbourne then I'm happy to have a chat one day.
Don't get scared off either as it is well worth it once complete.

Cheers & good luck

Previously owned the Red VTEC Mini (B16A)

Project currently on the go:
1961 Morris mini
Engine conversion - WRX EJ255

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:25 pm 
848cc
848cc

If you are in South East Queensland, I might be able to point you in the direction of an engineer.

Cheers Brad

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:39 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks for the advice and information, much appreciated! :) It's my dream to get a Rover Mini converted to Vtec, so not going to give up now! :)
I will speak with an Engineer and see what advice they will give me before I proceed with getting any parts.
Currently thinking of going down the AllSpeed subframe kit if engineer will allow it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:35 pm 
848cc
848cc

apparition wrote:
Thanks for the advice and information, much appreciated! :) It's my dream to get a Rover Mini converted to Vtec, so not going to give up now! :)
I will speak with an Engineer and see what advice they will give me before I proceed with getting any parts.
Currently thinking of going down the AllSpeed subframe kit if engineer will allow it.

If you are NSW - i have found it very straight forward. All speed frame , 7.9" discs on front , 1.8 motor.
The only thing that irked my engineer was the emissions standard ( has to replicate the standard of the engine) and the steering column must be collapsible ( another $1k )
Apart from that , My car should pull thru rego without a hitch.

When that happens , is when I can grab a solid couple of days straight to finish it off hahahha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:59 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi Guys
Had being given the runaround and being screwed around by the compliance workshop to get my 1999 Rover Mini complied, it is nearly ready for rego as compliance is done. Just waiting for it to be shipped back from the compliance workshop (Being the Christmas/New Years, I won't get it in my hands until mid Jan 2018).

Now I have another issue with my project... Has anyone done a Vtec conversion on a 1998-1999 Rover Mini and had it successfully passed engineering? It has the SRS airbag being a 1999 model.

How did the MCM guys manage to get their 1998 Vtec Mini to pass engineering?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! This Vtec Mini dream seems so far away at the moment... so many hurdles to jump over :(

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:37 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

The airbag shouldn't pose any issues. Provided you don't alter the steering column or rack the conversion would be the same as any other rover mini getting the conversion - Provided an engineer will sign off on it you're good. You just need to find somone who will.

The airbag is controlled from a computer in the back of the car with an inertia sensor in it, so it'll always go off at that pre-determined value it decides is enough for a serious crash.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:39 am 
848cc
848cc

Harley wrote:
The airbag shouldn't pose any issues. Provided you don't alter the steering column or rack the conversion would be the same as any other rover mini getting the conversion - Provided an engineer will sign off on it you're good. You just need to find somone who will.

The airbag is controlled from a computer in the back of the car with an inertia sensor in it, so it'll always go off at that pre-determined value it decides is enough for a serious crash.

Thanks for the info Harley, much appreciated!

Just wondering if anyone can advise of an Engineer in Melbourne who has/would be able to sign off on this? Not having too much luck with finding an engineer who wants to take this on with the honda conversion. Would this be something to do with demonstrating ongoing compliance with ADR 69/00?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:23 am 
1360cc
1360cc

You might be on your own finding someone I think - maybe start with Rowan Carter from Cartech - I think he's still operating.
The people that I used for mine and that Dutchy used for his VTEC mini no longer certify cars unfortunately.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:37 pm 
848cc
848cc

Maybe consider a 1970s Clubbie and putting a Watsons kit from the U.K. into it. There's plenty on the road in the U.K., and YouTube has lots of footage of them running round race tracks, up hillclimbs and on the road. In S.A. my engineer has confirmed that as I'm using a Metro subframe I can use the track that it comes with, and if you use the 5.5 x 13" seven spoke wheels from a Rover Metro MPI GTi (+52 ET) they just fit under Sport pack wheel arches. So THAT headache goes away! But don't use A539s if you want to do any track work - mine were useless at a hillclimb I did in Mt Gambier a while ago. I'm also using MGF front bottom arms (changes +ve camber to a smidgeon of -ve), collapsible column and rack (quicker than Metro and works well. Mounts on the subframe and NO bump steer). You also get vented 8.4" discs and without a booster (unnecessary in a Mini, and can be a worry in the wet) it pulls up brilliantly. But I wouldn't go for their DTA ECU - NOBODY in Oz knows how they work and it will cost you a bomb to watch a dyno man learning how it goes. Go Haltech or Wolf 3D or whatever your dyno man is comfortable with. Somebody on here will have a suggestion, and may even be able to give/sell you a map that will run the motor fairly well (without big revs) until you can get to a dyno. Or, you can use a Honda ECU and spend lots of time tricking it up so that it isn't looking for inputs you won't be providing. A wiring harness you can buy for not a lot nowadays, using only the wiring you need for what you're running. And - because the Clubbie is a 1976 model I don't need to meet the high level of emission control that a 1998 Mini will. All I need do is pass an emissions test AT IDLE, and it passes with ease. I have the dyno man's figures on paper to present when necessary. Oh, and I don't need a cat converter either (and it still passes the emissions test!). Or an airbag. And a tick under 100kw ATW. Best of both worlds I reckon.