Ausmini
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:34 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:47 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Typical....I spit the dummy and throw the baby out with the bathwater and the conversion section comes good. Yum yum humble pie, my sincere appologies to anybody I may have offended. I could have probably just ingored the spam afterall.

"Room for a Snail?"

There is....and it will be far easier to fit a turbo than it would be to try and get some real good extractors in there. I have a CT9 off a GT Starlet that will do the trick. The only thing that will protrude past the line of the inside of the grill is the wastegate actuator and they tell me there is a solution to that. Apparently an external wastegate?......or simply a smaller/different configuration turbo.

Only challenge really then becomes room for radiator/s and intercooler. Once I go playing with this stuff and not using 'hand me down' mini or suzuki gear it gets very expensive. I could still use the mini rad but after turbo charging the thing the mini rad will prolly not be up to the task.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:39 am 
998cc
998cc

WS you may want to investigate the external wastegate thing. Generally speaking the RTA guys get hot under the collar with external wastegates. So if you can keep it standard with internal wastegate until after rego then you can do what you like. Also I am using a 4 core Mini rad on the Starlet conversion...???

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:25 am 
998cc
998cc

Where are you both fitting your radiators?

Mine will be in the boot... as I have to fit a small radiator in the front of the engine for the water to air intercooler...

If you fit the radiator in the boot you will have all the extra water in the system from the pipes that flow to the back of the car...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:06 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Baracade, I'm interested in your boot idea.....

Q's:

I've got one davies craig lecy water pump, maybe a second would be required if pumping it to the boot. Are you going to be running any secondary water pump?

Where in the boot do you actually mount the rad? On the actuall boot door? I reckon that would look sweet. Would that create some flexing issues with the rubber hoses having to open the boot?

Piping? Where do you run the piping? Surely you wouldn't run it up the HOT exhaust tunnel and defeat the purpose of cooling it? What size piping would you need to run?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:30 pm 
998cc
998cc

Actually they are going to cut the floor of the boot away & sit the radiator in the floor with a big thermo fan ontop...

As for all the measurements for the pipes I will post again tonight... I have them in a book at home...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:32 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

minstar wrote:
external wastegates.

Externally venting blow of valves (BOV) are illegal not so sure about external wastegate actuators tho, two different things I believe.

My understanding was the BOV recognises boost levels (as close to the throttle body as possible), sends a signal via boost pressure to the wastegate actuator and that in turn opens the wastegate allowing unwanted boost to escape into the exhaust whilst keeping the turbo spooling.

I may have originally confused you buy saying external wastegate rather than externally located wastegate/wastegate actuator.

Check this out for a diagram!!!!!! http://www.gcg.com.au/Technical%20Data/turbo_sys.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:35 pm 
848cc
848cc

Whitestriped63 wrote:
My understanding was the BOV recognises boost levels (as close to the throttle body as possible), sends a signal via boost pressure to the wastegate actuator and that in turn opens the wastegate allowing unwanted boost to escape into the exhaust whilst keeping the turbo spooling.

I may have originally confused you buy saying external wastegate rather than externally located wastegate/wastegate actuator.

Check this out for a diagram!!!!!! http://www.gcg.com.au/Technical%20Data/turbo_sys.jpg

Umm no! A BOV is seperate to a wastegate. The BOV will do what you say above but it is a single and seperate unit. When the throttle shuts the BOV will open to let air out of the tubing between the turbo and throttle body so it isnt forced back through the turbo and out the inlet.

An internal wastegate is located in the rear housing of the turbo. When the boost level is high enough to force open the spring in the actuator the wastegate will open letting boost out and around the rear turbine. This keeps boost at the required level.

An external wastegate is located externally to the turbo. It will usually sit between the turbo and the cylinder head on the manifold. This is referenced to manifold pressure like the internal gate and when the boost level is high enough the spring will compress causing the wastegate to open and let air pass around the turbo doing exactly what the internal gate does.

They do the same thing and the benefits of either are not huge IMO.

You can also run an external gate off the rear housing of the turbo by welding up a port onto the rear cover and running the wastegate off that. You dont see this too often though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:14 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

dansedgli wrote:
Whitestriped63 wrote:
Externally venting blow of valves (BOV) are illegal not so sure about external wastegates/wastegate actuators tho, two different things I believe.

Umm no! A BOV is seperate to a wastegate. The BOV will do what you say above but it is a single and seperate unit.

I'm sure that's what I said.......If that's not how it read it's what I meant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:23 pm 
848cc
848cc

Sorry it was this I was saying no to.

Whitestriped63 wrote:

The wastegate has nothing to do with the BOV.

Great to see the project coming along too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:03 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

dansedgli wrote:
An external wastegate is located externally to the turbo. It will usually sit between the turbo and the cylinder head on the manifold. This is referenced to manifold pressure like the internal gate and when the boost level is high enough the spring will compress causing the wastegate to open and let air pass around the turbo doing exactly what the internal gate does.

I've never owned a turbo car, but I thought the waste gate caused the exhaust gas to bypass the turbine not the boost to bypass the compressor as you are implying?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:37 pm 
848cc
848cc

Zizzle wrote:
dansedgli wrote:

I've never owned a turbo car, but I thought the waste gate caused the exhaust gas to bypass the turbine not the boost to bypass the compressor as you are implying?

That is what I am saying, the exhaust gasses go around the turbine. I should have been more specific and said the exhaust gasses instead of air but I though you would know what I meant :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:39 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Alternator and bracket

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:30 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Offending wastegate actuator..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:39 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

That would show them ricers! A snail hanging out the front of the grill!

I don't know how it would look, but how bout building a custom grill that extends out, allowing room behind it for the turbo. I'm sure if it's done right it should look good.

I've seen a Morris Minor that has had a Coventry Climax engine put in it (was done back in the day, so would of been a MEAN Morry). It had the grill extended to make more room, looked good enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:19 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Hehe yeah its just like that one that we were all paying out a while ago, about having the spaced grille.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next