Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Re: Engine swap ideas
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:23 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

69k1100 wrote:
True but an engine that doesn't modify the original monocoque might appear easier to revert back for originality. Not sure how the engineer views this.

I've heard CG13CE engines with the smaller 1.0l gearbox are fairly easy to fit, you don't need to cut wings and the radiator can be retained. However, many seem to go down the route of using the whole 1.3 package, which requires some bulkhead mods.

You don't need to cut the wings with the 1.3 gearbox and the ratios will be better, mines running on the usual mini rad and a Spal electric fan with no problems. The bulkhead mods are only required if you use the micra inlet manifold which is not very good anyway so making our getting one made its a better idea, especially as engineers don't seem to like firewall modifications much.
Other suggestions are a Suzuki alternator and a set of extractors, mine were hurricanes made for the micra but had to be shortened and modified to fit tighter to the block and because of my subframe design.

Post subject: Re: Engine swap ideas
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:05 pm 
848cc
848cc

The R1 option doesn't seem to involve bulkhead mods, and you retain the Mini front subframe and suspension, etc. There will be lots of work to be done - nothing will simply "drop in" and work straight away. And if you want to get it licensed, multiply the work by around 3 times, to say nothing of all the on costs. There is no "best" option - mine was for a VTEC 1600 in a Clubbie using the Watsons kit from the UK - no bulkhead mods but shedloads of everything else needing to be done. Others swear by the Yamaha R1 motor, yet other folk argue for other motors. And some projects need fabrication skills that you may not have. I'd recommend that if you can find someone on this forum not far from you who is happy to show you their project, go have a look - and maybe a drive - and work it out from there.