Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:29 am 
Die Die Die!!

Hi All,

For as long as I can remember I have wanted a VTEC in a mini, I have had many minis over the years, I dabbled with a sirion converted Moke which was fun, but life saw me having to sell it. I shouldnt have wasted my time as my hunger was never quenched.
I am now in a position to start a build, and so it begins..

The Mini -
68 Austin Mini
850 Manual
Stock standard car with a terrible brushed on paint job

The Honda:
B16A2 Honda Engine
Custom headers
mFactory Helical LSD
mFactory 4.00 final drive
LS 5th Gear conversion
Modified spliced Honda/Mini loom
Hasport poly mounts
Allspeed driveshafts and HD CVs

My plan is to build my own frame to fit the Honda engine into my round nose without extending or modifying the front.

I have discussed my plan with an engineer who has given me all the relevant info to get it passed and registered.

Here are some pics of the shopping so far

Later model interior from a rover

Hasport poly mounts

mFactory final drive and LSD

I have been collecting parts for a few months and trying to get my head around the wiring diagram and how to reduce as much wiring as possible, I plan to keep the mini loom for everything besides the engine, and have the Honda loom for the dash and engine.

I am also planning to try and put AC into the mini pillaging parts from multiple systems, hopefully finding parts that will fit in the limited room I have but I’m aware that this may not eventuate due to space requirements,

I have made some small progress on it,

I have hot washed the engine ready for painting

I have also chopped up the rover front subframe I have ready for starting the subframe build,

The gearbox was dropped off with the final drive, lsd and 5th gear to be cleaned and assembled by NEAT gearboxes here in Adelaide earlier this week

When work and life permits I will start to strip the mini engine out and start the subframe,

It will be a slow project but i will keep you all updated as things happen.

Cheers,
Nick

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:25 am 
1360cc
1360cc

Great project, and looks like you've done your research with the parts that you're selected.
It's quite ambitious keeping air conditioning. Does your "68 Austin" have factory air?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:25 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Looks like a fun project!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:04 pm 
Die Die Die!!

awdmoke wrote:
Great project, and looks like you've done your research with the parts that you're selected.
It's quite ambitious keeping air conditioning. Does your "68 Austin" have factory air?

I’ve tried to do as much homework as I could.. dutchys Honda conversion has been a huge inspiration and help, and he has graciously supplied me a lot of information and put up with me asking a lot of questions

My mini was pre air conditioning as I believe this was only on Japanese rover minis starting from around 1987

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:04 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Sorry for the question, only asking because that clearly is/was a Japanese rover mini.
. one piece Windows
. rear seatbelt mounting points
. interior trim, fixtures
. concealed hinges
. fender mounted mirror holes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:15 pm 
Die Die Die!!

awdmoke wrote:
Sorry for the question, only asking because that clearly is/was a Japanese rover mini.
. one piece Windows
. concealed hinges
. fender mounted mirror holes

Wrong, it is actually an English imported mini.. probably MkIV where’s rovers were MkV - VII

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:28 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Ah, gotcha. You're probably better off with using a small Honda or Jap a/c system anyway as they use the modern refrigerants and poly V belts like your b16 crank pulley.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:12 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Good to see another Honda Mini in the works in this country - they're a bit of rarity.

If I can offer you two tips for the build based on if I was to do another one:

1. Buy an allspeed subframe - mainly for the time saving convenience more than anything else. The subframe is only a small part of the build. It's not difficult to build a frame that holds an engine, it's the countless times you have to go back and adjust it if you put something in a place thats not suitable.

2. Don't get too caught up on the air con. It's also not an engineering requirement, so can be added afterwards. Though I have AC in mine, it will be removed for engineering and the first few months of road use till I'm sure that nothing mechanical needs to be revisited, all to save a de-gas and re-gas each time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:18 pm 
Die Die Die!!

Harley wrote:
Good to see another Honda Mini in the works in this country - they're a bit of rarity.

If I can offer you two tips for the build based on if I was to do another one:

1. Buy an allspeed subframe - mainly for the time saving convenience more than anything else. The subframe is only a small part of the build. It's not difficult to build a frame that holds an engine, it's the countless times you have to go back and adjust it if you put something in a place thats not suitable.

2. Don't get too caught up on the air con. It's also not an engineering requirement, so can be added afterwards. Though I have AC in mine, it will be removed for engineering and the first few months of road use till I'm sure that nothing mechanical needs to be revisited, all to save a de-gas and re-gas each time.

Thanks for the tips Harley,

I am aiming to build a frame as close to dutchys as possible as I know this is working shape and design
And it’s what I showed my engineer as an example when chatting to him

As for the AC, if I can make it fit I’ll be happy but your right it’s very much a secondary feature, and not make or break. I have found a nice size compressor which I’m keen to try from a Daihatsu sirion but I need to wait and see where I can fit it, and more importantly where I can fit the condensor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:16 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Nice compact unit. Are you reverse mounting the compressor? The Sirion motors run opposite direction to Hondas don't they?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:00 am 
Die Die Die!!

awdmoke wrote:
Nice compact unit. Are you reverse mounting the compressor? The Sirion motors run opposite direction to Hondas don't they?

I’m not sure if they run in reverse?

I was under the impression that they ran the same so I was planning not to reverse the compressor but it might make it easier if I can.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:03 am 
Die Die Die!!

Did a little more yesterday, started removing the engine and wiring.. hit a snag though as I couldn’t undo the bottom subframe bolts on my own (needed someone on the other side)

Also cleaned up my sportspack steering rack that I got from England, this has the limiters built in for larger wheels so they don’t scrub,

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:16 am 
1360cc
1360cc

_666_ wrote:
Did a little more yesterday, started removing the engine and wiring.. hit a snag though as I couldn’t undo the bottom subframe bolts on my own (needed someone on the other side)

Shed envy is a baitch :cry: :shock:

Mr Tack weld might help?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:04 pm 
998cc
998cc

9YaTaH wrote:

Shed envy is a baitch :cry:

Completely agree. I have it too.

1967 mini Cooper S

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:19 pm 
Die Die Die!!

Haha, it’s actually my workplace as I don’t have a shed, my boss was nice enough to let me work on my car there