Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:33 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:05 pm 
Die Die Die!!

So some more minor progres, Subframe is well under way with the top RHS tacked and the LHS very close to being welded, also swapped the standard fuel pump for a walbro although I didn’t get any pics of that.

Tomorrow I’ll finish the other top arm and hopefully make some engine mount brackets and get them tacked also

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:41 pm 
Die Die Die!!

More small progress -

Have most of the LHS top arm sorted ready to tack in, managed to cut and sort the tie bar mounts ready to tack in on friday too, hopefully they won’t clash when I put the lower arms in.. time will tell

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:13 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Wouldnt hurt to grab the lower arm and tie bar off your car if you can and check as you're going..... that said, as long as you do the left one first the right one doesnt usually give dramas as thr shape of the gearbox perfectly clears the tie bar.

Your pic there is the right side and if you do the left one to match you'll run into a problem i can see.

I got the steering rack out of my car today too so I'll get you a pic of the mod I did to the bearing cap later.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:08 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Steering rack mod pic:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:16 pm 
Die Die Die!!

That’s cool.. I think I cut too much of my rack off, I’ll have to see how it goes..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:37 pm 
Die Die Die!!

Harley wrote:
Wouldnt hurt to grab the lower arm and tie bar off your car if you can and check as you're going..... that said, as long as you do the left one first the right one doesnt usually give dramas as thr shape of the gearbox perfectly clears the tie bar.

Your pic there is the right side and if you do the left one to match you'll run into a problem i can see.

I got the steering rack out of my car today too so I'll get you a pic of the mod I did to the bearing cap later.

You were right it did clash with my sump, however I think I should be able to just move it outward slightly and it will work just the same

I finished the drivers side engine mount today and the lhs top arm of the subframe..

Then I realized it wasn’t completely bolted tight.. I may need to make some modifications as when I bolt it down right that may change things :(

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:08 am 
1360cc
1360cc

Just make sure if you move the left side tie bar mount outwards you dont forget to go back and do the same with the other side to make it match.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:58 pm 
Die Die Die!!

More progress today,

Made the passenger side engine mount, tacked that altogether and for the first time the engine was being held by the subframe !! :)

Got the rear lower arm brackets made and tacked in, and I have started on the lower arms of the subframe and the front lower arm brackets.

Should have this back on 4 wheels (temporarily) within 1 more working day

Next will be finishing the lower arms of the subframe and the mounts for the tie rod bars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:15 pm 
Die Die Die!!

Lots of good progress today,

I finished making the lower subframe arms, and mounted the hubs to check some clearances which should be ok.. I probably should have checked them with some donuts inside..

Also made the bottom bar for the subframe and brackets

I will have a friend weld it up in the next couple of weeks, I still need to make end caps and gussets up for it

Removing it from the car was easy but removing it out of the subframe was a little tricky.. it’s a very tight fit

Next I will drop the rear subframe and remove the fuel tank,

Cut a hole for the rover mini fuel lines and weld in the late model tank bracket for the fuel tank strap to fit the MPI fuel tank with the walbro I fitted

Don’t expect much progress in the next 3 weeks though as work has become crazy busy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:44 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

You're making quick progress allright.
Have you got a solid subframe mount kit? If not you'll need that before you make the front bar......those old rubber teardrop things are crap for allignment even as temporary things.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:55 pm 
Die Die Die!!

Harley wrote:
You're making quick progress allright.
Have you got a solid subframe mount kit? If not you'll need that before you make the front bar......those old rubber teardrop things are crap for allignment even as temporary things.

I don’t.. however my car is really early so it’s solid mounted subframe anyway..

The front bar shouldn’t be affected by the tear drop mounts though ?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:01 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

In the photos looks like it has rubber mounted subframe front and back. If it's definitely solid though thats fine - you don't want rubber mounted frames with the honda engines!

Front bar shouldn't be affected, but depending how you attach it if the teardrop mounts arent concentric then things could need adjustment when they're changed over to solid mounts later.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:06 pm 
Die Die Die!!

Harley wrote:
In the photos looks like it has rubber mounted subframe front and back. If it's definitely solid though thats fine - you don't want rubber mounted frames with the honda engines!

Front bar shouldn't be affected, but depending how you attach it if the teardrop mounts arent concentric then things could need adjustment when they're changed over to solid mounts later.

The front of my subframe is frame to body, I looked at putting in teardrop mounts however there didn’t seem to be enough room.. I think the body mounts might be prouder as well as subframe differences, so I left them out,

The rear of the subframe originally bolts to the floor in my original subframe, I used a rover subframe for the conversion so I put rover rear subframe rubber mounts in, and poly subframe tower spacers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:26 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Okay, just went back through all your photos, didnt realise your car originally had an early solid mount frame.
In that case you should be fine, maybe just weld a reinforcing plate into the kick panel inside the car like rovers had if you get a chance?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:27 pm 
Die Die Die!!

Harley wrote:
Okay, just went back through all your photos, didnt realise your car originally had an early solid mount frame.
In that case you should be fine, maybe just weld a reinforcing plate into the kick panel inside the car like rovers had if you get a chance?

Mine actually has one already.. but I may put another 3mm plate in there to beef it up a little..

Cheers for the advise :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next