Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:38 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:06 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

CLEAR TAIL LIGHT CONVERSION - Submitted by 'big willy'

I thought I would be a little bit ?different? and replace them with Clear tail lights. Now this is not as simple as changing over the lenses, as the UK minis just had to use different size bases.

This meant I would need Mk 4 mini tail light bases for which the clear tail lights just replace the top two sections, and the reverse light stays (being clear itself doesn?t need changing.)

I turned to trusty old eBay UK and found what I was after; Clear tail lights on Mk 4 base. Full unit in ?used? condition. A week later and I received them.

Being from the UK, the screw heads had semi corroded. These were replaced with 6Gx30mm stainless steel screws.

Now it was the fun part of putting them in. I made up my own plug system, which used Narva brand plugs from the local car parts place. This would enable me to change back to my Clubman tail lights easily. I figured out the wiring quite easily, with my Haynes manual in hand. The RHS lens was a piece of cake to fit, but the LHS one being where it is was a bugger.

I needed to get the petrol tank out so I drove to my local mini place and got the bloke to take the tank out while I worked there doing the LHS. Got the LHS done and he put the tank back in.

I used the clubman brackets that hold in the tail light across the two nuts, so don?t throw these out. The lighting is much the same, but UK people say that the paint fades off the red lights in particular quite quickly. I haven?t noticed anything just yet. I might invest in some LED red cluster globes if this does happen though.

Here is the step by step procedure:

1. Remove petrol tank and both Clubman tail lights. Note the wiring.

2. Prepare area around tail lights for Clear set.

3. Wire up tail lights either directly or through plug system.

4. Bolt lights back into position, using clubman mount plate.

5. Check earth on lights, as chassis earths to body

6. Replace petrol tank once everything is right.

7. Check indicators, parkers, brakes before closing boot.

8. Close boot.

9. Stand back and admire your lights.

10. Then take some photos and think how easy that was.

note: this guide was originally on www.justanothermini.com, but this website has long snce been shut down.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]