Ausmini
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:53 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:16 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

ROCKER CLEARANCE ADJUSTMENT - Submitted by 'gafmo'

Checking the rocker clearance is easy and can be done by anyone! All you need is a 7/16th open-ended spanner, a large screw driver, feeler gauges and 5 meters of flat ground. The garage floor is perfect.

It is important to have clearance between the rocker and valve stem. If the gap is set to wide, the power will be reduced. This is due to the valves opening later and closing earlier restricting the amount of fuel and air that can enter and leave. If the gap is to small, then the valves may not close properly allowing the valve stem to heat up and expand causing the valve to stick open.

(0)
Grab yourself a beer, coffee, tea, coke or what ever. This should only take you an hour if you have never done it before .

(1)
Clearance should be done while the engine is cold. Remove the spark plugs insuring you know where the leads go. A roll of masking tape and a pen is handy. Take the rocker cover off and place to one side.
poeee tip: I mark my spark plug leads with cable ties. I put one cable tie on the first lead, 2 on the 2nd and so on. They wont fade or fall off like masking tape, and are extremely neat so can be left on for future use!

(2)
Each valve needs to be checked when it?s in the full closed position. This is done when the corresponding Valve is fully open. Use the ?number 9? method.

If you add the valve number of the two together it should equal 9. The first valve on the radiator side is number 1, and the last on the clutch end is number 8 (this doesn?t matter though!).

Valve #8 and adjust #1 = 9
Valve #7 and adjust #2 = 9
Valve #6 and adjust #3
Valve #5 and adjust #4
Valve #4 and adjust #5
Valve #3 and adjust #6
Valve #2 and adjust #7
Valve #1 and adjust #8

Here you can see number 4 (valve rocker fully down) and I'm adjusting number 5 (which is closed).

Use a set of feeler gauges to check the gap. You should just be able to move them in and out without biting.

(3)
To adjust the gap, you need to slacken off the locking nut with the 7/16th spanner and a fitting screw driver. Once it has released, you can close the gap by turning the screw adjustment clockwise or open by anti-clockwise with the screwdriver. Once the feeler gauge just slips in re tighten the locking nut but ensuring the screwdriver does not move. Please re check after it is tight and re-adjust if the gap has changed.

(4)
To move onto the next one you have two methods. First put the car in 4th gear. You can then either jack up the front of the car and rotate a wheel, or it?s time to push the car backward for forward. I like to physically move the car as you can see the tappets directly in front of you and get it spot on.

Why did I say to take out the spark plugs? Don't forget you have compression when the pistons are going up and down. There is no compression when there are no plugs, so it?s much easier to push.

(5)
There may be occasions where there are 2 valves open at the same time.

Here we have 8 & 6 open. Just make sure they are both fully compressed as they may not be totaly open when the other is.

(6)
Once you have gone through them all, recheck and adjust accordingly. You will find some maybe open or closed a little more than the others.

(7)
Once you are happy with all 8 gaps, put the rocker cover back on and have a sip of the drink you forgot about. Put the spark plus back in, I hope you rembered to mark them! While you?re at it check the condition of the plugs and check the gap while the feelers are out.

(8)
Start her up and go for a spin.

Note: I wish I had the gap for everyone?s engine, but until I find a good page containing gaps for all camshafts, I will not advise what the gap you should have. I can tell you that standard 850-998-1098 should be around .12-.15thou. Re13 cams .16thou with standard rockers and .19thou with 1:1.5 rockers.

Have Fun!

(Gafmo) Jim

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]