Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:09 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:13 pm 
Give Ash some flowers Nick .

I had to replace the two little fuel pipes on my twins the other day because they were split and leaking fuel. In order to do this I had to remove my carbies so I thought I'd do a how to for n00bs. This is really quite easy.

I haven't done anything different to what it says in any workshop manual but some people learn better with pictures.

1) Start off by removing the air filters - I did for mine so that I could get a ratchet in through there, just to create a bit more room for me to work.

2) Remove the balance pipe between the carbs, remove the choke cable & accelerator cable.

3) Unnattach the fuel pipe where it connects onto the carbs. I also pulled off the pipe that joins the float bowls, it allowed me to get my hand in a little closer to remove the washers / nuts.

4) Remove the throttle return springs. You could probably leave them attached but considering how long they take to take off / put back on I would take them off to give yourself a bit more room.

5) Take off anything else that you have attached to the carbs that I don't have attached on my car.

6) Start undoing all the bolts. If you have a separate inlet / exhaust manifold you pretty much have to undo all the bolts (people with a single unit you HAVE to undo all of the nuts) except for the ones on the very ends. I undid them all (which is recommended) so that you can replace the gasket when you put it all back together.

7) Once all the nuts / washers have been removed you should be able to remove your carbies with a bit of a jiggle (they tend to get set inplace and can be a bit hard to get off). It only took me about 30sec to work mine off.

8) If you wish to take the exhaust off now you will find you will have to undo the exhaust at the two rear mounts near the muffler and also (in my case i.e. LCB's) the little bracket that attaches to the back of the gearbox.

9) Slide the extractors off and stick on your new gasket (make sure that the area is thoroughly clean of the old gasket though). You don't have to do anything to the gasket (no gasket goo) just bung it on dry.

10) Make sure you put the carbs & nuts & washers together in a good spot. I kept all the nuts in order. There really isn't a need to do this EXCEPT for the four very outside nuts.

11) This is why I had to pull my car apart. If you think it would be easier to just pull the carbs off after the heat shield think again, I did it this way so that I didn't do anything to my linkages. You could pull just the carb off on a car with a single carbs - but enquire first if you can just buy that gasket without buying a whole rebuild kit.

12) Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Just make sure you haven't got any leaks around your gasket (which you probably won't if you've used a new one.

Just as a side note. I usually always replace the gasket - I got two lengths of fuel hose & a manifold gasket for $5 from my local mini guy. Why would you bother trying to reuse a gasket? When you go to restart your mini after you are done, don't be surprised if you have to spend a little extra time on the starter. I did because my float bowls were empty and had no fuel in them. They needed about 10 seconds on the starter before it started for me.

Have fun guys.

Last edited by 1018cc on Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]