Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:09 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:17 pm 
religious status
religious status

PM me a layout sketch of the ports- how far apart, and what length it needs to be..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:44 pm 
This space for rent

Mick wrote:
EDIT: I reckon you could swindle SGC into a second as well...he lives nearby and could share post ;)

Absolutely!! 8) My pump arrived on Friday, so I'll get into assembling it when I get back from Brissie after Christmas.

Doc, if it's not too much trouble to make another... ;)

The adventures of an owner builder in the Tallarook Ranges

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:57 pm 
religious status
religious status

No problem, but it won't be until after New Year... :wink:
Merry Xmas! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:53 pm 
religious status
religious status

Fittings done now- you will get em next week.
Bloody Pirtek had no 1/8 NPT nipples (they don't keep em now??) so I made my own. As well as the 1/4 NPT adaptor sockets.
They are threaded into the M16 threaded rod and brazed with nickel bronze.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:48 pm 
SooperDooperMiniCooper ExpertEngineering

Thanks Doc ;)

All garage work involves equal measures of enthusiasm, ingenuity and a fair degree of irresponsibility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:33 pm 
This space for rent

Awesome, thanks Kev! :D

Been itching to try out my pump :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:01 pm 
This space for rent

So I paid a visit to Mick's this afternoon to pick up the Doc's adaptor -- thanks Kev, it's spot on and works a treat 8) Mick very kindly primed and painted them, so they look great too :lol:

Here's the finished rig:

The business end up close:

This is what came out when I dropped both sides to the stops... ick!

I have to say, this setup is just brilliant, there's absolutely no mess, no fuss.. it took all of ten minutes to flush both sides and reset to 300psi. Awesome.. big thanks to Mick for the prototype and Kev for the hardware 8) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:15 pm 
religious status
religious status

Glad I could help!
What pressure are these pumps good for, and can you buy seals etc if ever needed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:26 pm 
This space for rent

drmini in aust wrote:
Glad I could help!
What pressure are these pumps good for, and can you buy seals etc if ever needed?

This is the link to the pump, they quote 25bar (360psi) which is heaps for a Mini. It certainly had no trouble getting mine to 320psi, and the gauge measured a peak of nearly 400 on the downstroke.

They're China's finest, cheap and cheerful.. so it's anyone's guess what seals they use..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:59 pm 

Again, thanks for the fittings Kev! The old frankenstien's monster of an adaptor was released without incident in the state forest to find its own way in the world.

Seals? Replacement parts? :shock: I don't think you would ever get parts from the original company, these would be a premium example of repair by replacement...but with a 50:50 glycol water mix, at least I know they won't rust. :lol: I'd give pirtek or enzed a workout if I had to try and find some however. You never know your luck.

I just went and fitted up my drain back, it works really well at keeping the green stuff where it should be. I fitted a barb to the top of the tank (had to re-thread it 3/8th UNF to fit a nut) and straight onto the male thread of the ball valve for the moment till I get another barb. A lock nut would be a smart idea where the doc's adaptor fits onto the pump head to spread the load should the fitting get bumped.

All garage work involves equal measures of enthusiasm, ingenuity and a fair degree of irresponsibility.

Last edited by Mick on Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:03 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

sgc wrote:
.. so it's anyone's guess what seals they use..

Might be worth pulling one apart while it's still new to examine and size the seals, and research a local supplier with a quality alternative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:13 pm 

winabbey wrote:
sgc wrote:
.. so it's anyone's guess what seals they use..

Might be worth pulling one apart while it's still new to examine and size the seals, and research a local supplier with a quality alternative.

I actually went to pull it apart early on, there's a charge of grease in the inner tube which needs to be cleaned out prior to use. I suppose its put in there at the factory to help prime it initially for the end user.

To take it apart there's a plug pressed or threaded in the bottom end which I couldn't get out with a fair amount of leverage, but I didn't work too hard at it for fear of damaging it.

I cleared out the grease by soaking in kero and pumping it through for a good while until the grease was cleared out. Simon used kero to do the same.

i think if I had a go with heat and a careful use of blunt force, I could take the plunger apart :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:20 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

But Mick, once you, Simon and Doc start production of these for onsale to the Mini community you will need a source of spares, won't you? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:23 pm 

winabbey wrote:
But Mick, once you, Simon and Doc start production of these for onsale to the Mini community you will need a source of spares, won't you? :wink:

Hmm....all we need is a sweat shop and ready access to a supply of slave labour....god bless their tiny tiny little hands and work ethic...

"You work harder! You want lash again!.... You no get brakey brakey....savvy savvy? No soup for you."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:34 pm 
This space for rent

winabbey wrote:
But Mick, once you, Simon and Doc start production of these for onsale to the Mini community

Screw that, I'm in it for the rental income :lol: :lol:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next