Ausmini
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:18 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:56 pm 
Offline
Causing or creating vexation
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:32 pm
Posts: 19816
Phat Kat wrote:
Bubbacluby wrote:
kirby wrote:
1018cc wrote:
Quote:
- How to assemble the front subframe and fittings (arms, CVs, etc) (24/9/2010) [Moriarty]
- How to change bottom suspension arms? (24/9/2010) [mattsmadmini]
- How to change drum to disc (24/9/2010) [mini is my ride]
- How to fix the window winder (i think this has been done) (24/9/2010) [mini is my ride]
- How to set the lock mechanism up for a clubman (24/9/2010) [mini is my ride]
-How to setup camshaft timing - timing your cam in (25/9/2010) [jester99]
-How to mount your engine on an engine stand (25/9/2010) [jester99]
-How to remove & replace your steering rack (25/9/2010) [jester99]
-How to upgrade to pot joints (25/9/2010) [jester99]
-How to setup your clutch & flywheel (25/9/2010) [jester99]
-a full parts list for each car, cooper, vans, clubbies, k's including part numbers so its easier to place orders (25/9/2010) [Drexxle]
-how to do rings and bearings (25/9/2010) [Gadgets mini]
-how to fit an oil cooler to a non-cooper-s body (25/9/2010) [mickmini]
-How to re-pressurize the hydro system (29/9/10) [jme]
-How to set/check end float on the primary gear and drop gear - with suggested measurements please (1/10/10) [Minimad]
-How to do a basic service/grease and oil change (including checking wheel bearings, play in tie rods, ball joints etc etc) and safety check.


-How to rebuild a mini steering rack.



I would like a how to on lead wiping....



Let me recover from the engine how to and I'll see what I can do for you :)


My brother showed me a video on lead loading from an old expert, watch and enjoy...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ_85fp1avs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:24 pm 
Offline
1098cc
1098cc
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:28 pm
Posts: 1553
Morris 1100 wrote:
Phat Kat wrote:
Bubbacluby wrote:
kirby wrote:
1018cc wrote:
Quote:
- How to assemble the front subframe and fittings (arms, CVs, etc) (24/9/2010) [Moriarty]
- How to change bottom suspension arms? (24/9/2010) [mattsmadmini]
- How to change drum to disc (24/9/2010) [mini is my ride]
- How to fix the window winder (i think this has been done) (24/9/2010) [mini is my ride]
- How to set the lock mechanism up for a clubman (24/9/2010) [mini is my ride]
-How to setup camshaft timing - timing your cam in (25/9/2010) [jester99]
-How to mount your engine on an engine stand (25/9/2010) [jester99]
-How to remove & replace your steering rack (25/9/2010) [jester99]
-How to upgrade to pot joints (25/9/2010) [jester99]
-How to setup your clutch & flywheel (25/9/2010) [jester99]
-a full parts list for each car, cooper, vans, clubbies, k's including part numbers so its easier to place orders (25/9/2010) [Drexxle]
-how to do rings and bearings (25/9/2010) [Gadgets mini]
-how to fit an oil cooler to a non-cooper-s body (25/9/2010) [mickmini]
-How to re-pressurize the hydro system (29/9/10) [jme]
-How to set/check end float on the primary gear and drop gear - with suggested measurements please (1/10/10) [Minimad]
-How to do a basic service/grease and oil change (including checking wheel bearings, play in tie rods, ball joints etc etc) and safety check.


-How to rebuild a mini steering rack.



I would like a how to on lead wiping....



Let me recover from the engine how to and I'll see what I can do for you :)


My brother showed me a video on lead loading from an old expert, watch and enjoy...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ_85fp1avs


Great link,

All I can add to that is that I use a bit of hide for wipeing the tinning and lead around,,, in australia we call them "bats" not paddles,,, and with the filing 2 little things....

Do the first few passes using the very edge of the file, its more agressive so it will take the high dags off quicker, and always file teh panel diagonally to make sure your blending it in with the contour propperly.

Appart from that, just avoid sanding it (lead poisoning anyone?)...

Oh and the lead to tin ratio,, anything between 80:20 to even as rich as 50:50 I have used fine (I bought it by accident) ... I'm with the old guy though, 75:25 is nice... The other thing too with heating it... it has a range of "plasticity"... if you over heat it, it stops being plastic (just like they said) but before it gets to that stage, the lead and tin actually start sepperating (and you'll see it when it happens)..

Awesome link.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:29 pm 
Offline
Causing or creating vexation
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:32 pm
Posts: 19816
Phat Kat wrote:
Morris 1100 wrote:
My brother showed me a video on lead loading from an old expert, watch and enjoy...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ_85fp1avs


Great link,

All I can add to that is that I use a bit of hide for wipeing the tinning and lead around,,, in australia we call them "bats" not paddles,,, and with the filing 2 little things....

Do the first few passes using the very edge of the file, its more agressive so it will take the high dags off quicker, and always file teh panel diagonally to make sure your blending it in with the contour propperly.

Appart from that, just avoid sanding it (lead poisoning anyone?)...

Oh and the lead to tin ratio,, anything between 80:20 to even as rich as 50:50 I have used fine (I bought it by accident) ... I'm with the old guy though, 75:25 is nice... The other thing too with heating it... it has a range of "plasticity"... if you over heat it, it stops being plastic (just like they said) but before it gets to that stage, the lead and tin actually start sepperating (and you'll see it when it happens)..

Awesome link.

It is a great video, if you tried to put all that into words it would take a year! :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:34 pm 
Offline
1098cc
1098cc
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:28 pm
Posts: 1553
Morris 1100 wrote:
Phat Kat wrote:
Morris 1100 wrote:
My brother showed me a video on lead loading from an old expert, watch and enjoy...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ_85fp1avs


Great link,

All I can add to that is that I use a bit of hide for wipeing the tinning and lead around,,, in australia we call them "bats" not paddles,,, and with the filing 2 little things....

Do the first few passes using the very edge of the file, its more agressive so it will take the high dags off quicker, and always file teh panel diagonally to make sure your blending it in with the contour propperly.

Appart from that, just avoid sanding it (lead poisoning anyone?)...

Oh and the lead to tin ratio,, anything between 80:20 to even as rich as 50:50 I have used fine (I bought it by accident) ... I'm with the old guy though, 75:25 is nice... The other thing too with heating it... it has a range of "plasticity"... if you over heat it, it stops being plastic (just like they said) but before it gets to that stage, the lead and tin actually start sepperating (and you'll see it when it happens)..

Awesome link.

It is a great video, if you tried to put all that into words it would take a year! :lol:



Sounds like a challange :D

:lol:

Honestly, things like body work are very difficult to discribe in words. Its a very visual skill. And somthing like lead whiping, well pictures speak a thousand words. If anyone asked on here I would just point them to that link. You're right, people would fall asleep before they finished reading a how to on that... so much of it is just experience... you can't teach experience.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:59 pm 
Offline
1275cc
1275cc
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:34 pm
Posts: 3232
Location: Cowra
Phat Kat wrote:
Morris 1100 wrote:
Phat Kat wrote:
Morris 1100 wrote:
My brother showed me a video on lead loading from an old expert, watch and enjoy...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ_85fp1avs


Great link,

All I can add to that is that I use a bit of hide for wipeing the tinning and lead around,,, in australia we call them "bats" not paddles,,, and with the filing 2 little things....

Do the first few passes using the very edge of the file, its more agressive so it will take the high dags off quicker, and always file teh panel diagonally to make sure your blending it in with the contour propperly.

Appart from that, just avoid sanding it (lead poisoning anyone?)...

Oh and the lead to tin ratio,, anything between 80:20 to even as rich as 50:50 I have used fine (I bought it by accident) ... I'm with the old guy though, 75:25 is nice... The other thing too with heating it... it has a range of "plasticity"... if you over heat it, it stops being plastic (just like they said) but before it gets to that stage, the lead and tin actually start sepperating (and you'll see it when it happens)..

Awesome link.

It is a great video, if you tried to put all that into words it would take a year! :lol:



Sounds like a challange :D

:lol:

Honestly, things like body work are very difficult to discribe in words. Its a very visual skill. And somthing like lead whiping, well pictures speak a thousand words. If anyone asked on here I would just point them to that link. You're right, people would fall asleep before they finished reading a how to on that... so much of it is just experience... you can't teach experience.


Thanks Morris1100 and Phat, GTmowog also sent me som instructions on how to do it. So all of this combined i will be a pro in no time at all :D

Brenton

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:35 pm 
Offline
Causing or creating vexation
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:32 pm
Posts: 19816
Bubbacluby wrote:
Thanks Morris1100 and Phat, GTmowog also sent me som instructions on how to do it. So all of this combined i will be a pro in no time at all :D

Brenton

Another tip, don't wear thongs. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:27 pm 
Offline
Mods rock!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:02 pm
Posts: 5080
Morris 1100 wrote:
Bubbacluby wrote:
Thanks Morris1100 and Phat, GTmowog also sent me som instructions on how to do it. So all of this combined i will be a pro in no time at all :D

Brenton

Another tip, don't wear thongs. :D


So that means Gafmo shouldn't lead wipe?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:08 pm 
Offline
Causing or creating vexation
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:32 pm
Posts: 19816
GT mowog wrote:
Morris 1100 wrote:
Bubbacluby wrote:
Thanks Morris1100 and Phat, GTmowog also sent me som instructions on how to do it. So all of this combined i will be a pro in no time at all :D

Brenton

Another tip, don't wear thongs. :D


So that means Gafmo shouldn't lead wipe?

He would try to buff the lead and get lead poisoning. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:43 pm 
Offline
1275cc
1275cc
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:47 pm
Posts: 2436
Location: tasmania
i wear a thong at my age its called a mud rope.....

_________________
busier than a 0ne legged man in a butt kicking competion


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:06 pm 
Offline
1275cc
1275cc
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:38 pm
Posts: 2210
Location: Nelson Bay, NSW.
lil-ute wrote:
i wear a thong at my age its called a mud rope.....


Not a vision I needed placed in my brain :shock:

Dicko

_________________
Mini. You don't have to prove a thing.
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:53 pm 
Offline
1098cc
1098cc

Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:25 pm
Posts: 1323
Location: wooToomba
Everyone before me wrote wrote:
- How to assemble the front subframe and fittings (arms, CVs, etc) (24/9/2010) [Moriarty]
- How to change bottom suspension arms? (24/9/2010) [mattsmadmini]
- How to change drum to disc (24/9/2010) [mini is my ride]
- How to fix the window winder (i think this has been done) (24/9/2010) [mini is my ride]
- How to set the lock mechanism up for a clubman (24/9/2010) [mini is my ride]
-How to setup camshaft timing - timing your cam in (25/9/2010) [jester99]
-How to mount your engine on an engine stand (25/9/2010) [jester99]
-How to remove & replace your steering rack (25/9/2010) [jester99]
-How to upgrade to pot joints (25/9/2010) [jester99]
-How to setup your clutch & flywheel (25/9/2010) [jester99]
-a full parts list for each car, cooper, vans, clubbies, k's including part numbers so its easier to place orders (25/9/2010) [Drexxle]
-how to do rings and bearings (25/9/2010) [Gadgets mini]
-how to fit an oil cooler to a non-cooper-s body (25/9/2010) [mickmini]
-How to re-pressurize the hydro system (29/9/10) [jme]
-How to set/check end float on the primary gear and drop gear - with suggested measurements please (1/10/10) [Minimad]
-How to do a basic service/grease and oil change (including checking wheel bearings, play in tie rods, ball joints etc etc) and safety check.
-How to rebuild a mini steering rack.
I would like a how to on lead wiping....

- Basic 'How to maintain your brakes/clutch'. There are a few good ones out there, but nothing that's completely comprehensive.

I'll give a little background here. I want to bleed my clutch. I knew I had some old hose lying around (air hose out of a fish tank), but found it was too small to stick on the nipple when bleeding. So something that included tool sizes, hose sizes... That'd be great. As it stands, there's enough debate on how to bleed brakes/clutch - some say to hold the pedal down, some say to hold it down for as little a period of time as possible. Some say that cheap bleeding kits work, some don't. The Mini Man has his basic clutch-bleeding guide here. I think the info's mostly out there, but a nice, clear, comprehensive how to might be very handy. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:27 am 
Offline
Give Ash some flowers Nick .
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:22 pm
Posts: 10160
Location: Toowoomba Region, QLD
Everyone before me wrote:
- How to assemble the front subframe and fittings (arms, CVs, etc) (24/9/2010) [Moriarty]
- How to change bottom suspension arms? (24/9/2010) [mattsmadmini]
- How to change drum to disc (24/9/2010) [mini is my ride]
- How to fix the window winder (i think this has been done) (24/9/2010) [mini is my ride]
- How to set the lock mechanism up for a clubman (24/9/2010) [mini is my ride]
-How to setup camshaft timing - timing your cam in (25/9/2010) [jester99]
-How to mount your engine on an engine stand (25/9/2010) [jester99]
-How to remove & replace your steering rack (25/9/2010) [jester99]
-How to upgrade to pot joints (25/9/2010) [jester99]
-How to setup your clutch & flywheel (25/9/2010) [jester99]
-a full parts list for each car, cooper, vans, clubbies, k's including part numbers so its easier to place orders (25/9/2010) [Drexxle]
-how to do rings and bearings (25/9/2010) [Gadgets mini]
-how to fit an oil cooler to a non-cooper-s body (25/9/2010) [mickmini]
-How to re-pressurize the hydro system (29/9/10) [jme]
-How to set/check end float on the primary gear and drop gear - with suggested measurements please (1/10/10) [Minimad]
-How to do a basic service/grease and oil change (including checking wheel bearings, play in tie rods, ball joints etc etc) and safety check.
-How to rebuild a mini steering rack.
I would like a how to on lead wiping....
- Basic 'How to maintain your brakes/clutch' (12/2/11) [Tadhg]


Tadhg, if your clutch is irritating you give me a call / send a PM. I have some time free today and can show you how to do it. I use a 1 man brake bleeder kit and it works fine. I also have brake fluid lying around here as well for top ups (DOT 4 I think :? ).

_________________
"In two years time your car will be like a lady's clothes, out of date, my car will still be in fashion when I am dead" - Sir Alec speaking to Pininfarina


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:34 pm 
Offline
998cc
998cc
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 2:16 pm
Posts: 678
Location: Sydney
Rebuilding door hinges..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:23 pm 
Offline
848cc
848cc
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:50 pm
Posts: 359
Location: Wollongong NSW
putting the bonnet on properley lined up so it's flush and it opens easy from the front

is it that hard or just me?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:51 pm 
Offline
1360cc
1360cc
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:07 pm
Posts: 10480
Location: SE Melbourne
It's fairly easy normally. The cars I've had alignment problems with have had something damaged, usually the slam panel is a bit out or the lock plunger has rounded off and it doesnt stay shut properly.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC + 10 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  

© 2016 Ausmini. All garage work involves equal measures of enthusiasm, ingenuity and a fair degree of irresponsibility.