Ausmini
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:26 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:01 pm 
religious status
religious status

I decided to make this tool so I could remove the outrigger bearing outer ring from the flywheel housing without destroying it by welding etc.
NOTE: Dimensions shown suit the A series 4 synchro flywheel housing, with the LATEST size RHP bearing outer ring, (34mm bore).
Earlier bearings (now NLA) were smaller ID (33.37mm bore).

---------
---------
Note the bearing ring is shown there after extraction.
---------
Note the O-ring is just to keep collets together after use.

Sorry no can do a CAD drawing, but here are the machining details:

Material- 1045 or better.
Turn collets in 1 piece, body diameter 34.0mm x 13mm long.
Shoulder turn 36mm diameter x 2.2mm long.
Drill & tap right through, M12 x 1.75
Split in two, with a 5mm gap. I used a 5mm slot drill in the mill.
Mill 2 lugs 7mm wide on the flange. Cut away the rest of the flange, I used the bench grinder.
Put a 2.5mm x 45deg chamfer all round, between the 2 lugs. I used the bench grinder. (it's only for clearance)

To use, drop the collets into the bearing, check they are level with each other and the 2 lugs are in the slots, and screw the stud right in. Then drop a Mini drive yoke over it, fit washer and tighten nut. You could make up an outer body instead, but this works fine.

I warm the alloy housing to ~200C with a hot air gun to reduce drag, but these rings are not fitted real tight.

[edit] typo
[edit 2]-
This tool MUST be hardened, I bent the 2 lugs off mine this week. The bearing ring was very tight due to previous case butchery at the circlip.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:10 pm 
SooperDooperMiniCooper ExpertEngineering

Again, thanks to Kevin for this much easier method of removing the outrigger. My second most disliked job next to the idler gear needle roller...

Mick

All garage work involves equal measures of enthusiasm, ingenuity and a fair degree of irresponsibility.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]