Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:04 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:58 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thought this might help some others..

Cam gears are next... I was told by someone we all know that these would be a pain after I bought them....he wasn't wrong :shock: Got quality gear and chain...woeful instructions though. took me a while to figure it out..but I did sort it out in the end and Ill tell you how so you dont age like I did :lol:
Install gears (should slide on with only human effort) and check with straight edge for aluignment and shim crank gear accordingly
Install piston No 1 (without rings) in bore and bring to TDC using a dial gauge and timing disc (in next pic)
At TDC, with the crank gear in the 0 degree keyway slot, align the dots like a regular cam gear set timing set up. The dot on the camshaft gear should align with the 0 stamp on the crankshaft gear

With a cam follower in lobe 2, and a pushrod located to your dial gauge, turn motor clockwise and get a degree reading for full lift on the cam (look up you tube or books etc to see a full guide to timing in your cam, Im just illustrating the complexity with this particular Rollmaster gear set)
My reading came in at 110 degrees,(4 degrees retarded) so i know i need to advance the cam by at least 6 degrees to allow for chain stretch. What you do next is return the crank back to TDC, then remove the chain and gear set, re install the gear (or sprocket :P ) on the cam and install the crank gear on the +6 degree keyway slot as pictured
Move the crank and cam sprokets slightly to align the dot and the +6 degree stamping on the crank gear as in the above picture (like you would align dots on a standard duplex set)
While not moving the crank or the cam, remove both sprockets, and reinstall with the chain....and you are done.
Always a good idea to reinstall dial guage and timing disc and check with head and rockers on to load up the chain...but thats it.. I know others have had difficulties with this set so I hope sharing has helped someone else :mrgreen:

64 GRP N Cooper S (ex Fred Burley)

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:04 pm 
Yay For Hay!

oh wow - the new sets have numbers stamped in them!! when I've done them they only have dots and the dodgy instructions - you had it easy!!

took me a few goes to get it right, but it's not too bad once you have your head around it

GR hates them :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:05 pm 
Yay For Hay!

making this a how-to BTW...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]