Ausmini
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:52 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:45 pm 
Postally Verbose
Postally Verbose

Reposting this one after the Ausmini crash .

I started off with these that were bought off ebay as a resto project , they came with transfers and the previous owner had intended restoring them himself but never got to it .

They were rough and abused but almost completely intact and not needing many new bits .

Stripped them down to their basic bits ,

And then gave them a bath in paint stripper . I had tried soaking them in thinners as per instructions from people at the IMMCC but it didn't do much to the various layers of paint , apparently it works well with the original paint but who knows what these were painted with .

Next they were painted with an auto touchup paint ("power plus" spray and brush system , PJ5132 Hot Chilli Red) which was very close to the original red and the "Paris white" by the same company which turned out a little starker than the original .

Then the transfers went on and were compared with the originals . The new transfers are slightly different to the original in size and font but are close enough for what I'm planning on doing .

Then some detail work with a tiny brush and silver and orange paints and we're now set for some new parts .

Now just got to get organised and order the replacement parts to put them back together , I'm just waiting till I know what I need ofr the next couple as well before ordering :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:31 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Ian,

I have a couple of these that are in need of resto. What is your source for the transfers and other 'parts'?

Thanks

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:37 pm 
Postally Verbose
Postally Verbose

I normally use recovertoy ( http://www.recovertoy.com/index.php ) , they're pretty good and a lot of the other dealers etc buy from them and put their own profit on top .... Just make sure you pay by an electronic means as they lost a non electronic payment of mine once before and it took a while to sort it out but apart from that I can't fault them .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:52 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

sports850 wrote:
I normally use recovertoy ( http://www.recovertoy.com/index.php ) , they're pretty good and a lot of the other dealers etc buy from them and put their own profit on top .... Just make sure you pay by an electronic means as they lost a non electronic payment of mine once before and it took a while to sort it out but apart from that I can't fault them .

That is Excellent, Thank you!!

Matt