Ausmini
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Re: 1:32 Scale Mokes
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:06 pm 
848cc
848cc

Ill try and get round to doing it today. If i remember correctly the mainstream scalextric cars are 1\32 scale. Ill have to find out if its true scale and then go from there. That said. Alot would go into making it a scalextric car. If im correct this would be made out of solid plastic so you need to do alot of drilling and carving to get the electronics set up in there. Also like my idea of a 1\24 kit, there would need to be extensive modifications to things like the steering column and underside to make it just like an off-the-shelf example.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:08 pm 
998cc
998cc

simon k wrote:
if someone will give me some dimensions.... I could do it myself but I only have a clubman like this to model it off http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251401588673

I have one of these I could measure http://www.armchairracer.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25923_25947&products_id=253410 but someone wrapped it up :roll:

The Moke should come to 1.91" long by 1.05" wide according to http://www.scalemodelersworld.com/online-scale-converter-tool.html when I convert the measurements on the pdf you posted earlier

CJ

When I get to unwrap the mini I have i can check how big it is for comparison

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:19 am 
Yay For Hay!

AustinMiniMan98 wrote:
Ill try and get round to doing it today. If i remember correctly the mainstream scalextric cars are 1\32 scale. Ill have to find out if its true scale and then go from there. That said. Alot would go into making it a scalextric car. If im correct this would be made out of solid plastic so you need to do alot of drilling and carving to get the electronics set up in there. Also like my idea of a 1\24 kit, there would need to be extensive modifications to things like the steering column and underside to make it just like an off-the-shelf example.

I can design the running gear mounting into the base - but I don't have anything other than that clubman to work from... the motor would be best mounted laterally as it would fit under the moke's load bed. It could use a conversion kit like this or have the mounts for an axle, motor, guide etc. integrated

I'd make a thin steering column with a bulge for the stalk cowling and have a separate steering wheel that could be glued on, and the steering column can be glued into a hole in the floor. I can make more detail on seats, fix up the dash etc. etc.

I've been looking for chassis designs - check this out - very cool. If you look through the way the parts are printed (page 8 ), he's made it with sprue connecting the pieces, and you cut them out, clearance any holes, then build it up. I'm not keen on building suspension into it, but could do

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:48 am 
Yay For Hay!

womble99 wrote:

The Moke should come to 1.91" long by 1.05" wide according to http://www.scalemodelersworld.com/online-scale-converter-tool.html when I convert the measurements on the pdf you posted earlier

that's a handy tool, but your measurement is off 1.91" is too small - no need to convert the measurement, if you take the moke wheelbase of 2.02m and convert that to 1:32 it comes out at 63mm. BUT I think 2.02m is the wheelbase of a UK built little wheeler, so I need an Australian big wheeler wheelbase

womble99 wrote:
When I get to unwrap the mini I have i can check how big it is for comparison

have fun unwrapping :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:26 am 
Yay For Hay!

I can probably make some Sunraysia centres to go in wheels like this to suit it as well -

rear
front

or do you guys want it front wheel drive?? could do that too I guess :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:40 am 
Yay For Hay!

more chassis stuff - http://www.slot.it/INGLESE/KitPart/Techrs.html

edit: though the wheelbase of the chassis is 8mm more than the moke at 1:32 length

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:12 am 
848cc
848cc

Sorry i haven't been on here in a while, i was busy readying up for the house move. It's a while off but i like to be ready and living out of boxes to make it easier. Anyway it looks like you have been busy! i don't think suspension will be necessary. They sell models of the Suzuki Jimny which was very similar to the sierra if not just named differently elsewhere. My dad actually built one of these after he got impatient of not finding a model moke. Anyway i could get one of those and see what modifications i need to make to the parts on that. Scale all the relative parts of the moke down and then forward the information to you so you know where to make the holes and whatnot on the model itself. If i really wanted to-although i haven't looked at it, i bet i could get a couple of the Jimny models, pre-assemble to sub frame components of one and see if i could use the suspension components off that.

Do you think you could modify the underside of the model to accommodate the 4WD system?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:59 am 
Yay For Hay!

AustinMiniMan98 wrote:
Sorry i haven't been on here in a while, i was busy readying up for the house move. It's a while off but i like to be ready and living out of boxes to make it easier. Anyway it looks like you have been busy! i don't think suspension will be necessary. They sell models of the Suzuki Jimny which was very similar to the sierra if not just named differently elsewhere. My dad actually built one of these after he got impatient of not finding a model moke. Anyway i could get one of those and see what modifications i need to make to the parts on that. Scale all the relative parts of the moke down and then forward the information to you so you know where to make the holes and whatnot on the model itself. If i really wanted to-although i haven't looked at it, i bet i could get a couple of the Jimny models, pre-assemble to sub frame components of one and see if i could use the suspension components off that.

Do you think you could modify the underside of the model to accommodate the 4WD system?

sounds like a good plan - I can modify the underside to do just about anything... as long as I have dimensions or a model to work from. Basically I'd take the chassis, make a 3d model of it and subtract it from the moke model with appropriate fixing points

Do you have a link to the Jimny online somewhere?

Is it a slot car, or is it a scale model?

for a slot car, it really doesn't matter a great deal what base model we started with, as long as the wheel base is close to correct. I couldn't find the Jimny online, but this swift would surely come close in wheelbase and track

I'd like to think that there would be demand internationally for at least a few dozen of them, so if the donor parts were cheap and plentiful, it'd make it better for anyone who wanted one

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:21 am 
848cc
848cc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujimi-1-24-Suz ... 3a897cdfb5

This is what i could find. There are others on Tamiyas actual website but the pictures aren't as big. I can't find dimensions so i don't know how you could make the 3D model. I believe there was only about an inch or less in the difference of the wheelbase to the moke. Although I don't know if this does have the engine. It says it is something called a curbside model with no engine detail. i might have to come up with something else in this case.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:50 am 
Yay For Hay!

AustinMiniMan98 wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujimi-1-24-Suzuki-Jimny-Custom-Samurai-1300-SP-1986-/251414765493?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item3a897cdfb5

This is what i could find. There are others on Tamiyas actual website but the pictures aren't as big. I can't find dimensions so i don't know how you could make the 3D model. I believe there was only about an inch or less in the difference of the wheelbase to the moke. Although I don't know if this does have the engine. It says it is something called a curbside model with no engine detail. i might have to come up with something else in this case.

gotcha - well, in your case, I'd 100% recommend scrapping the Suzuki as a donor, and just use the Tamiya mini - correct engine, correct suspension, subframes, etc. etc. etc.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/24048-1-24-S ... 0913259501

and as a bonus, I have a couple of them in boxes to take dimensions from - maybe this will be the push I need to put one together!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:00 am 
848cc
848cc

Indeed. The thing is he wanted to have the suzuki engine and running gear. I might have to just make it a Cooper S engine instead. I have the Rauno Aaltonen #177 rally mini and the body is cracked beyond repair so i might just take parts from that. i have the rugged rally tires and everything aswell.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:16 am 
Yay For Hay!

AustinMiniMan98 wrote:
Indeed. The thing is he wanted to have the suzuki engine and running gear. I might have to just make it a Cooper S engine instead. I have the Rauno Aaltonen #177 rally mini and the body is cracked beyond repair so i might just take parts from that. i have the rugged rally tires and everything aswell.

ahhh, I see - he wanted to build it as a chassis conversion. Makes sense. OK - so you he has the model already, measure the wheel base and track for me

I want the wheel base
the INSIDE track (the distance between each wheel, not including the wheel)
the OUTSIDE track (inside track plus both tyres)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:08 pm 
848cc
848cc

i'm meeting up with him in the start of February so i will have a look then.