Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:23 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 36  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:00 pm 
848cc
848cc

Yeah that happened to me aswell. Really annoying that the only thing holding them together is air...you compress and twist, really disappointing quality from tamiya. I flipped mine and it disintegrated in mid air! Awesome video footage though, luckily i saw where mine landed but because mine are standard screws and my spacers on the shock posts weren't very good my screw threads were near bare so it is really hard for me to undo them and tighten them again. The sooner i get titanium screws the better!

Are these the parts that you couldn't find?: http://www.tamiyashop.com.au/shop/tamiy ... 13393.html

They have some aluminium ones too if you feel like upgrading, in case peter hasn't got them: http://www.tamiyashop.com.au/shop/tamiy ... 03573.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:05 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

they are the parts. The local RC shop had them in stock and they were fairly cheap.

I will eventually upgrade to proper aluminium shocks. The other weak spot that i have found is the steering.

www.minisinthegong.com.au

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:06 pm 
848cc
848cc

Not strong enough or what?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:08 pm 
848cc
848cc

Be sure to bookmark tamiyas sight. If you can't find it on ebay or the RC shop near you, providing you know what you are looking for, that site will have it. You can even buy a full alloy conversion. They used to do some gold and silver special editions, now they have the entire chassis in red or blue aluminium. Looks awesome but adds weight. Can be useful but you'd probably be better off just getting alloy A-arms or something to add weight to the steering...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:51 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Yeah, the standard springs are not strong enough and just fall apart. Same with the steering. Both are relatively cheap to upgrade.

here are some pics of the car. its not finished, but getting close. Paint came out well, except on the roof for some reason. There are a few things i'll do differently on the next body.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:44 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

there's a fair bit of differences between the M03/M05/Mfour.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:28 pm 
848cc
848cc

M03 and M05 aren't too different, My rc mini club actually advises against tamiya.com.au so a bad bit of advice there. They suggest RCmart: http://www.rcmart.com/for-tamiya-m05-c- ... =1&sort=1a or Stella Models: http://www.stellamodels.com.hk/m-05-c-7 ... =1&sort=2a

They're still both based in hong kong but i believe both still have either stock or uprated suspension parts.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:59 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Yep, rcmart is what I was told by people at my local club. The prices look good but you have to wait for things to come. eBay prices seem to match, but there isn't as big a range.

I will run it at the next meet in a weeks time and then decide what shocks and motor I will buy.

Ryan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:49 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Well I thought I'd better update this thread.

I had my first races on the weekend. Our local club is really good and the guys were all very helpful and generous with time, knowledge and spares. I ran into a bit of trouble with the cheap hitech servos. I ended up stripping the gears in one on Thursday arvo during some practice and then again during the warm up for my first race. Luckily one of the guys lent me a spare (metal geared) servo and they help up the race start for me as they wanted to get me into it. I didn't do too badly.

The biggest let down was my motor, but I also need to upgrade the shocks, battery, steering etc so I have ordered the following:
- hobbywing 13T motor and 35A ESC combo with program card.
- Turnigy nano-tech 4200mah 2S2P 40~80C Hardcase Lipo Pack
- Deans connectors
- Two servos to tryout. Ones a futaba and the other a tower pro with metal gears
- Kimbrough servo saver
- Aluminium steering linkage/bell crank
- Tamiya TRF works damper set w springs etc
- Tyres - I'm trying the pit shimizu racing slicks as well as ride slicks in a variety of combinations

Hopefully this helps a little.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:34 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

I get my kits from here. Usually very good prices and very fast postage.

http://banzaihobby.com/radio-control/ta ... 8_446_452&

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:23 pm 
848cc
848cc

Yeah wow, big upgrade list. I take it that esc is a Lipo compatible esc? I think the servo saver is quite crucial in hard cornering. I have one on my baja as that is loaded up to 40kg and it isn't enough. I think hitec are actually quite good. I think the mistake you made was definitely the plastic gears. I always go metal gears. My hobao has Savox servos. Maybe you should try those. A level up from hitec. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:10 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Hi AustinMIniMan, yes the esc is lipo compatible. You can also run lipos with the stock esc. The new motor/esc combo makes this car into a little rocket.

A bit of an update:
I have installed all the parts now. and I have also added new front knuckles as the plastic ones had a tendency to bend. I'm also finished with the upgrades, but I would still like to add a gear diff and probable upgrade the gears while I'm at it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:24 am 
848cc
848cc

Wouldn't mind some pics! Sounds like a good track machine now. All ESCs are lipo compatible, it's just those that are advertised as such have the extra software to keep it safe. A normal ESC that isn't classed as lipo compatible will keep running until the battery is dead and lower quality ones will keep running even if it overheats. One that is classed as compatible will have the technology to detect low voltage, low energy levels and it will have power cutoffs built in to prevent damaging the batteries.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:04 am 
1098cc
1098cc

All tamiya cars these days should come with esc but if your going to get a high turn motor get a esc for that motor i have seen these things put on a smoke show when hooked up to wrong motors

Ive been around these things since the late 90s and im finding that hobby shops around here dont deal in tamiya no more

they rather sell the pre made crap now rather than putting kids brains to some use when you used to build a tamiya from scratch

With the right motor and esc and right gear setup you can get these things doing 80+ kph

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:35 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Tamiya in Australia is handled by Toy Traders (if they're still called that), since the mid to late 90's they went to cr*p. Absolutely no spares back up and out of date stock. i.e. 1997 cars out in 1999. Shame really, seems they don't care.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 36  Next