Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:58 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 36  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:35 am 
848cc
848cc

If you go with LiPo then you will need a LiPo compatible ESC, one with a power cutoff because LiPo batteries need to be taken care of. You should probably get a charger with a temperature cutoff because they can catch fire, also always wise to carry them and keep them in a LiPo fire bag. If they completely run out of charge, you can't recharge them. I haven't heard of NiCad batteries used in a while. NiMh are the usual these days.

The stock motor is good but depending on what class you are running in you can upgrade it. If that is the case then the ESC should also have the capabilities to run brushless motors, there are bigger and more powerful brushed motors aswell which would cancel that out.

The radio you have selected looks pretty good. Perfect for what you want actually. The screen might be a little difficult to get used to but from my experiences FlySky have been very easy to use. Very similar to what i have. I have a 2 channel version without the LCD running my nitro buggy. I don't need more than 2 channels for that so it does fine. Great prices on both the radio and car but as both simon and i have said, you need to buy an ESC separately. If you want to get the best, have a look around for Castle Creations. They can be expensive but believe me, they are worth it.

Cheap option: http://rchobbies.com.au/store/product_i ... s_id=74562

More expensive option. Don't know if it will be compatible with stock brushed motor though: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/sv ... 0011500#t1

Take a look at this site. They are pretty much all you need to know about it: http://www.rc-mini.net/joomla/ the section on the M05 is really useful. These guys travel around australia with the rc mini nats.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:43 am 
848cc
848cc

Frankly i would get the bearings set regardless of whether or not you go racing. They really are quite necessary. The standard bushings really aren't up to standard. Made of plastic...seeing as they make sure that everything that needs to rotate and work smoothly, does so, it's wise to get at least some crappy ball bearings. Really any you get from an rc store, online or on ground, will be decent but that is one of the very musts.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:49 am 
848cc
848cc

Unfortunately off road racing is much bigger in australia than on road racing. While i love my off road, your best bet is ordering from the US instead. I'd recommend horizonhobbies. http://www.horizonhobby.com/

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:52 pm 
Yay For Hay!

nice - this is an entertaining and informative read... http://www.rc-mini.net/joomla/index.php ... Itemid=148

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:56 pm 
848cc
848cc

Well if you like what you see be sure to download the pages. The site will be deleted soon. They haven't touched it in years and they decided they are just sticking to facebook.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:03 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Ok, so I'm slowly getting my head around this. My budget might not stretch to what I want at the moment, so it looks like the upgrades will have to come slowly. I don't mind this though as it means I can learn why I'm actually doing the upgrades and how it changes the car.

So I have found a local shop who have the mini cooper kit for $150. It comes with an ESC and motor. So basically I just need to buy:
Battery and charger
Radio and receiver (I'm going to buy http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Flysky-FS-GT ... 1129326562 )
Servo - the guy from my local shop will supply a cheap $15 one until I'm ready to upgrade.

So now I just need to decide on battery and charger? any recommendations? What are the cheapies on ebay like? Local shop will sell me 2700 battery and charger for $85 but I'm not sure on the brand. Any advice?

www.minisinthegong.com.au

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:02 pm 
848cc
848cc

Best NiMh batteries i have ever come across. I don't have the standard ESC, mine has a cooling fan on it so mine can run for longer but i can get almost 20mins full throttle out of my mini from these. http://nvisionweb.net/electric/en/Batte ... lug-14-AWG
Now unfortunately i can't find it for sale anywhere, my local store doesn't have it listed on their website. These are the ones i have though and they are great. That 2700 shouldn't last more than 10 mins or so, maybe less. Chargers are another one-time-buy sort of thing. You don't have to but a standard wall charger is very slow. Something like this: http://www.powerslideracing.com.au/gt-p ... arger.html Should do you fine. I wouldn't set it higher than 3 amps otherwise you will risk reducing the batteries life and run time. Batteries should be okay though. Whatever you want you can run, just make sure it has a tamiya connector/plug on the end otherwise you won't be able to connect it. Don't skimp out on a charger though. Otherwise it'll take 5 hours to charge that 2700! It takes just under 2 to charge my 4200 from flat with mine and that is running on 2 amps. I could put it all the way up to 8 and probably get it done in 45 minutes but i don't want to risk damaging my batteries.

I'm running the standard tamiya servo anyway as the mini has such light steering, the only reason to upgrade it to make it faster but you really don't need to. Believe me though, if you want to spend a day at the track, 5 hours for 10 mins really takes it's toll. So definitely make sure to upgrade the charger first. Servos this size really shouldn't exceed $70 for the very best and i think i paid $20 for mine and it works fine. Plenty fast and strong enough and i have almost twice the power yours would with the stock "can" motor.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:54 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

An update:

I went and watched the guys racing at the local track last weekend, and loved it. So I went and purchased a kit from the local hobby shop. Amazingly they had a M05 mini cooper on the shelf, and the price was right. The kit came with the standard silver can motor and ESC, but this will do to get me started. I also purchased a cheap hitec servo to get me started. I've just placed an order for a bearing set from M-Chassis. I feel good that Ive been able to support some local businesses and still get comparable prices to OS.

So far the cost:
- M-05 Cooper Kit - $150
- Ball Bearing Set - $9
- Bearing oil $6
- Servo $14

Total cost $179

Still to purchase
- Glue
- Paint
- Battery (no idea yet)
- Charger (imaxB6AC - thoughts?)
- Radio/reciever (maybe a flysky - but they seem to have faults)

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:58 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

A lot of hobby shops do a deal on 'all you need' basics, car, battery, trans/rec/servo kit,charger etc. I know you're buying a mini but I've put these 3 links on from where I get my stuff from, just as an example.

http://banzaihobby.com/radio-control/ta ... ld-willy-2

http://banzaihobby.com/radio-control/ta ... ld-willy-2

etchttp://banzaihobby.com/bundle-save/w ... zai-bundle

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:57 pm 
848cc
848cc

Looks like a good charger. I have never had faults with flysky radios personally. Great starter radios. That charger however, you will need to get a tamiya plug adapter. Most batteries will have those as standard and the same goes for the esc. You can just ask the RC shop and see what they reccomend. Hitec are actually really good quality servos, it's just unless you get something completely unnecessary like metal cased titanium geared servos, they are naturally a cheap part of the car for 1/10. For my 1/5 it isn't quite the case. For an appropriate one for my 1/5 it costs almost as much as your mini kit alone. You got a good price on that though. I was lucky enough to get mine for $135 as the shop i got it from had bought a large bundle of them and were able to sell them a lot less. might have been christmas sale aswell, not sure.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:45 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Yeah I thought the price was ok, as the cheapest I could find online was $108 plus $36 postage and I'd have to wait at least 2weeks for it to arrive. For the extra $6 it was definitely worth picking it up from the shop, and I love to support the local little guys.

The affordability of these m chassis cars is what makes them so appealing, however you could easily spend lots on them.

What Flysky are you using?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:44 pm 
848cc
848cc

I was running out of budget so i got a FlySky GT2b. Looks cool and that protector really helps with dust and muck. Not that you'll need to worry about that though! Hasn't failed once and very responsive. Only problem i found is that if you fully lock it to the left or right, then just let go and let the wheel turn back under it's own force, the wheel turns so rapidly, when it comes back to centre it sends a sort of jitter like the spring inside is vibrating. it makes the wheels do a quick series of left,right,left at minute angles. you don't notice it when driving but when the front wheels are under no pressure ie. suspended in the air, you can see it. Really is nothing to turn you off. It doesn't happen with my other radio but then, i paid 4 times as much for that one.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:15 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Update:

Odered the following:
-Flysky GT3C Silver (more functions plus I like that it comes with a rechargeable battery which cuts ongoing costs down.
-IMAX B6 AC charger (capable of charging LiPo and NiMh. Balancing, peak detection and discharge features)

So far the cost:
- M-05 Cooper Kit - $150
- Ball Bearing Set - $9
- Bearing oil $6
- Servo $14
- Charger $56
- Radio/receiver/battery $54

Total cost $289. That only leaves $11 in the budget for:
Battery - I'm still undecided between NiMH and LiPo.
Paint
glue

Looks like I will be going over budget by quite a bit on this.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:30 pm 
848cc
848cc

Good choices. Has the charger got the tamiya plug adaptors? Anyway i'd say stick with NiMH, I'm pretty sure the racing class is restricted to the NiMH batteries only. LiPo offers loads more power but it runs alot hotter, are a lot riskier and A LOT more expensive. I'd always recommend NiMH for people new to the hobby grade rc scene. They are more readily available and if yours break or lose charge, you can go and buy a cheap temporary one from places like toys 'r' us and Mr. Toys Toy World, not just rc shops. LiPo is not for the faint-hearted. Very good and very fun but are also very serious. Unless you stick to 2S LiPo batteries it will comes as a big shock to someone who hasn't got much experience with them.

I race off road because i love the dirt, drifting and rooster tails. Also the ruggedness and the crowd. We take the piss out of each others cars, touching bumpers and rubbing wheels, spinning each other out but never really losing any ground. They are also slow to turn. On-road is much quicker to respond.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:16 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I've been talking to a few guys from the local club on another forum and they all seem to be using LiPo for racing. The price doesn't seem to be too much more at all. Maybe $20 more?

What do you mean by not for the feint hearted and very serious? Besides charging method and not running them flat is there much to know?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 36  Next