Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:26 pm 
848cc
848cc

As i said to Ryan though. I am not an expert, most of this is just from examining the cars i have so don't take my word for it i may be wrong. Just go and ask your local RC store. They should be able to help you out with everything and even perhaps discounts. Be careful. You walk in there and end up blowing your budget way out of proportion. You see all of the shiny bits and you just have to have them. I went in to get a clutch bell carrier for my baja, a $40 part, ended up spending about $230...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:43 pm 
Yay For Hay!

AustinMiniMan98 wrote:
You walk in there and end up blowing your budget way out of proportion. You see all of the shiny bits and you just have to have them. I went in to get a clutch bell carrier for my baja, a $40 part, ended up spending about $230...

why do you think I'm asking on a mini forum :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:07 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Lets try this approach:

Simon: how fast do you want the car to go, and how much do you want to spend building it?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:21 pm 
848cc
848cc

Haha indeed. I was originally going to ask that harley, certainly wiser to do so but i was just sticking within the price range of what simon had posted.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:44 pm 
Yay For Hay!

Harley wrote:
Lets try this approach:

Simon: how fast do you want the car to go, and how much do you want to spend building it?

hey!! don't go getting all logical on me Aaron, that's just not fair at all!!!

it's the same old triangle of performance, low cost and reliability - we all want the cheapest thing we can get, have it go like stink and last forever...

- if you want to go fast for a low cost, it won't be reliable
- if you want to go fast and be reliable, it won't be low cost
- if you want to be reliable and low cost, it won't perform well

so really, I want reliable and low cost and use as much of my existing stuff as possible. It'd be nice to keep the "main chunk" of expense under $100, like those ESC combos I was picking out. If there were other small expenses after that it'd be OK.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:03 pm 
Tomboss Breweros

My mate Sam has been in the rc hobby industry for years, I'll see what he can come up with, he told me previously that an M03 could easily outrun a stock tg10 with a cheap conversion.

I say get a 160 size brushless into it, it might need a trailer for the batteries but a tennis ball size motor that punches up to 2.7kw would be ridiculous.

kimini wrote:
:mrgreen: It's the boobs and testosterone that make this place fun-ner :lol: !!

Jimmyinamini wrote:
It's not nice to throw spank on the floor.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:38 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

$100 for the conversion to electric: possible but tricky.
I have a new tg10 and a new tb01 at work so ill have a look at them tomorrow.

The problem is the battery. 3s is a lot of power, and i really dont think the loose fitting driveshaft system in the tg10 will take the power. I've destroyed standard shafts with 540 brushed motors!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:47 pm 
848cc
848cc

Agreed. Unfortunately i much prefer to wait and get the top quality. With something as big as my baja i need to really. Still, my M05 is built relatively cheaply. Granted i went for ludicrous power, too much for such a small chassis really. But as i said. What you'll get from people who are into RC is their opinions, what motors and whatnot they prefer. Everybody had different preferences so talk to someone unbiased such as someone in an rc shop. Otherwise talking to people at tracks and forums(which usually evolve around racing)they are just going to give you advice about top of the line kits like Castle Creations, Tekin, brands like that. You can spend several hundred $ on a motor alone.

Yeah like i said Harley, try 2s first. Sorry to keep talking about it but my baja, people convert those to electric and run 8s! I think one guy in my club is trying to build a setup that is capable of 16s...i mean 4s can standing backflip a car. 6s can wheely one of my 15kg bajas off the line. What the hell is 16s going to be like? 100mph in under 5 seconds providing he gets it off the line. He's invested nigh on 8 grand into that baja so far...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:05 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

I was just given a 1/5 baja- i see i can get a brushless conversion kit for it for $300 these days....which might be on the cards.
I had a traxxas brushless revo and that was scary at times: 100 kph on 6s, i sold it cause there wasn't a lot of safe places to run it.
I have a stock vxl rustler and thats bad enough: on 3s it just back flips and is as good as uncontrollable. Even cruising along constantly at 75% throttle going too quickly too 100% makes it wheely!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:11 am 
Yay For Hay!

fair enough... I was thinking 60-70kph would be plenty. The petrol motor didn't go faster than that, and had pretty poor acceleration

So the battery I have is probably too high voltage, and wouldn't last long enough (2200mah) to get decent run-time out of it. It's also low in the C rating

So if I was going to use this combo: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _120A.html

Would this be a smarter option for the battery? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _Pack.html

it's mostly a moot point, as I'm more-or-less out of work so it'll be a while before I can afford this stuff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:40 am 
1360cc
1360cc

Spot on for battery - I run those they are great.

I'd be thinking this is more appropriate for the motor:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... V_80A.html

The one you linked is a 1/8 truck motor - that would DESTROY your drive train.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:56 am 
Yay For Hay!

Harley wrote:
Spot on for battery - I run those they are great.

I'd be thinking this is more appropriate for the motor:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... V_80A.html

The one you linked is a 1/8 truck motor - that would DESTROY your drive train.

awesome - thanks very much - I could almost afford that right now, or at least when some invoices get paid :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:28 am 
Yay For Hay!

just putting this link in here so I remember where it is... might get one of these

http://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-58570-tt02 ... h=420_1167

cheaper

http://banzaihobby.com/Tamiya-58570

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:51 am 
1360cc
1360cc

The Hobbyking x-car ESC's are re-branded or copies of the Hobbywing V2.1 speedies. So much bang for buck. I run one in my touring car, and use the Hobbywing link software and firmware! Although now not exactly legal, as Victoria has changed to national rules and therefor 21.5T and 13.5T are now blinky (non timing esc, needs to be on an approved list, called blinky because most speedies blink when in non timing mode). The Hobbywing branded ones are on the list, however. Doesn't effect you though!

Couple it with a Turnigy TrackStar motor. I run one of them in my TC. It's as good, if not better than anything else that's legal (which again, doesn't worry you). The trackstar motors are approved, HOORAY! Probably go a 13.5 for fast bashing. Run the 60A x-car speedy in blinky mode. Plenty fast. Keep the gearing short or you will cook the motor (buy a little IR temp gun thing).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:55 pm 
848cc
848cc

Poeee's right. However I don't follow nor do I compete in the track racing, especially small scale. The off road tracks yes, but not on road. The 1/5 racing trucks are a hell of a spectacle though! I believe hobbyking is the Australian version but I'm not sure. I know my ESC is hobbywing but with all the rest he said, I wouldn't imagine you would overheat the motor too quickly if you are non-competitive. The onroad tracks absolutely shred the standard tires though. They are so grippy they just eat through them. If you decide to run LiPo, the temp gauge would be an ideal addition as with LiPos, you can get hard packs with much longer run times. Pretty much double what is achievable with the soft case NiMh packs. Also, that V2.1 comes with a cooling fan installed on it so there are no worries about the ESC overheating either.