Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:43 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Mod Chip for cooper
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:03 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hey any one out there can you point me in the direction of purchasing a chip for the cooper
I have purchased a 2003 model and its rather slow I have been told that you can boost them slightly with a chip By the way I still have my one and only 74 mini My wife drives the new one and she is use to driving a mx6 so you may understand that the cooper needs a little umph :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:21 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

hmmm
we're not too familiar with mods n stuff for the new minis
there are a couple of us who have the new minis,
maybe you could wait till they come online
why a need for more umph... i thought the new ones were powerful!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:47 pm 
848cc
848cc

Well i think that they do lack power when i compare it to my sons ford focus similar
rating :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:06 am 
848cc
848cc

I used to have a Cooper, put 50,000Km on it and never found it lacking in power. :?

You need to keep the engine spinning at around 4500 to 6000rpm to get performance out of the Cooper. If it doesn't put a grin on your face at that point then give it up and buy a commodore. :lol:

As for mods not much fot the Cooper, one problem is that the gearbox is unreliable and only rated to 145bhp so too much tuning can be expensive.

Check out the Performance & Tuning forum on www.mini2.com plenty of advice on there.

Have a look at www.minisport.com they have 130bhp & 145bhp kits for the Cooper.

MTH Tuning has a software package that has been popular,

Hope that helps :)
see http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68508

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:17 pm 
848cc
848cc

honestly and without being rude u'd be wasting your time and money.. if you went from an mx-6 with 120 odd kw to a mini, the same weight wtith 85kw i dont know what u were expecting haha.. the cooper S seems like the car you should have bought.. for all the money u could spend on a Cooper and exhaust and chips and CAI and only get a little more power outa it.. it seems the S is the obvious choice to me

however be that as it may... mcsmik has some good tips there if u're determined to whip the dead horse :)

actually mite also say i drove an 05 cooper on the weekend the new getrag 5 speed manual box is so much nicer than the old one.. if u tried to drive an older cooper hard i always felt like i was rushing the box a little.. it didnt seem so keen haha...the new model does seem to have a little more poke.. revised ratios? im not sure... tho i cant get used to the fairy clutch .its so barina like its scary... but the new interior lighting from the dash and in the door handles etc .. makes it all pretty nifty.. tho no more clock on the roof kinda sucks haha

anyways gone way off topic now.. so i shall stop :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:00 pm 
848cc
848cc

Quote:
mcsmk: MTH Tuning has a software package that has been popular

HIOP-MTH makes the best chips on the market so far. not only for the Mini series but also for all other series. of what i know they have had a 100% success so far in isntalling their programms. and the best of all is for the mini S. man the power gain is insane. you end up with like 205bhp or more with just the chip and a 15% pulley. thats like a 60bhp gain. well acoording to me they are the best i know. up to know ive only had positive experiences with them not only with the mini but also with my BMW 3.30. and the company is from germany and you know what they say about german quality. sorry but im so excited about my new mini S. :D after i chip tuned it it flys.

just wanted to let you guys know whats available and i can only adivse you, if you get your BMW chip tuned, then do it with HIOP-MTH because i went around and other tuning companies dont even come close. im sure theres some but i asked around and all the advice i got was alright but when some one told me about the HIOP-MTH chips and i had a look at them well the above speaks for itselfe. and the best of all it is possible to chip tune it within 24 hours if there is someone round with an OBD I or OBD II cable. :lol:

well have fun tuning

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:16 am 
848cc
848cc

all gains claimed in flywheel HP are highly dubious for a start.. dont get too carried a way claiming a new chip is the second comming.. i believe they claimed a "195hp" chip with no other modification a friedn got it and saw a whopping 0kw gain at the wheels just a few weeks ago so thats utter crap for a start..

now onto the the pulley / more boost and ECU combo.. with temps down and an ECU that doesnt run too rich.. "205 hp" as the claim is fairly average.. the hartge conversion did this almost 2 years ago although in reality the wheel hp in dyno's i've seen head to head same day and same conditions most pulley/ modified ecu map combinations are roughly the same.. the stock ECU runs far to rich with a smaller pulley all the map is doing is leaning it out a tad to get more power.. heres no magic secret to it.. its fairly strait forward...its just how effective that is on the car in quesiton.. i have seen 2 AmD pulley and ECU cars pull about 5kw different at the wheels same day same time and all that was different was the mapping for some what reason i dont knoe.. once new map was sent out and reflashed it was roughly the same.

the on road gain of this supposed 5kw at the wheel advantage was mimimal if anything with both cars running mid 14 second passes at WSID

anyways i can only speak from experience and what i've seen on dynos with my own eyes.. i dont read about something and tell every1 how great it is

for the record i have an AmD pulley and ecu.. i am in no way a brand junkie and think mine is the best..i was interested in this MTH software when it came out.. (long after i had the AmD) but from what i've seen it does nothing my current ECU map does not... as i said from what i've seen on the dyno the map, no matter brand or type only stops the car running rich..and when i mean rich i mean bottoming out at 10:1 which is not the best situation.. its not end of the world BAD.. but not gonna give u the best power output :)

thats all it does there no magic thing the MTH does that other chips do not

in the end they're all roughly the same.. which ever u choose .. enjoy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:39 pm 
848cc
848cc

Sooper

i donno which car you drive or which ones you've seen but mine goes like a cut cat. maybe we're talking about something different or just have different opinions, but didnt only see it with my own eyes but also felt it.

ohh one thing i can guarantee, there is a difference in chips. yes essentially they are the same what they do, but not the bhp gain and how they are applied etc.

well i guess now tobie can't make up his mind anymore cause one is for and one against but i guess thats alright since i made positive experince and you didn't.
a difference in opinion...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:27 pm 
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK

sooper is anal retentive :)
hey sooper seen ya the other week passed ya i was in my 4wd
makka