Ausmini
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:44 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Converted
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 2:42 pm 
848cc
848cc

Sorry bit long.

I have an old Leyland 74, just to get around till I go overseas. I have already sold my baby a 2000 MY00 WRX which was mildly modified (around 135kw @tw + lots of suspension) And I'm on the Committee for the WRX club of SA. I'm involved in the motorsport side of things and drove my WRX at mallala a bit.

Anyhow enough background.

So I was helping on a driver training day that we run and at the end of the day was offered laps of the track. I didn't have my WRX any more but 2 club members offered me a drive in their cars.

Turned BOTH down to take my girlfriends new BMW mini round the track (Just a cooper NOT S) and I was BLOWN away.

The handling into the corners and the brakes...GOD I could brake sooo late and had heaps more (didn't want to scatch her car) It had stock everything. With some grippy tyres and less reservations about coming off and it would be great.

I'm worried I may go out and buy a Cooper S, actually going to the UK and think a works Cooper S is the go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul.

Post subject: But...
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 4:33 pm 
848cc
848cc

You haven't taken a REAL mini around a track yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 4:51 pm 
848cc
848cc

Damn Purist. :lol:

I bet when I take the clubby out you'll still be saying that. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:13 am 
848cc
848cc

I'll second leyland74

I too come from a similar background (owned and raced a MY01 WRX, recently changed to a R33 GTR) and believe me, my Mini (once again not S) provides helluva lot more fun than it suppose to. Sure the others are much faster in straight line speed but in terms of corner, it is fairly fast for a front wheel drive..and I am still using the factory rubbers 175/65/15!

Can't wait till I upgrade the rubber to something more decent and see how that goes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:27 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I have taken my Cooper on the track at QLD raceway, and I've had ball. even thought I am the slowest on on the track ( usually go on against Cooper S's)

But I' love to take my 1967 Mk1 Cooper S on the track, running Hydrlastic suspension with adjustable front shocks