Ausmini
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:47 am 
1360cc
1360cc

I'm considering turning my daily hack R53 mini into something that could handle the odd track day or hill climb event.

Can anyone make suggestions as to what I'll need / should do to the car to make it suitable?

I'm thinking:
1. Install new racing seats (adr approved with airbags as the stock ones arent real good)
2. Fire extinguisher mounted in front of passenger seat
3. remove subwoofer / amplifier in boot
4. change 15% pulley for a 10 or a 12%
5. install oil catch can
6. tie / catch wire on bonnet
7. tow hooks front and rear

Basically I want to know all the stuff before I commit to doing it with this car so I can work out if its practical.

The car is a fairly stock r53 S, it has an uprated supercharger and the mentioned pulley, aftermarket filter and JCW front brakes (slotted / performance pads).

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:27 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Why turn down the power (i.e. s/c pulley size)?

Extinguisher, battery & tow stickers and tow points are mandatory for almost any event, but you already have a double bonnet catch and catch cans aren't usually required for PCV emissions cars.

"To increase performance, add lightness." Colin Chapman

Look at a swapping in a simple lightweight (non adjustable) no airbags seat & 5 or 6 point harness for track days. Much cheaper, lighter, and the harness really helps in the corners (and in the event of an incident).
Lighter/smaller wheels with soft compound semi slicks.

Without stripping the interior etc it can still be changed back to road spec in 20 minutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:42 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

The pulley in the car now is 15% smaller than stock, which is highest recommended for road use, but for a track I'd pullit back a bit as the engine would be working harder, faster, hotter than it would on the road. Its just a precautionary thing.

I don't have a car trailer so the thing would be driven to events, and removing the airbag seats on the road is unroadworthy. If the car has stickers on it its a flag to a cop car.

Still, it is far cheaper by a mile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:08 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Magnetic backed stickers are apparently a "no no" but I've never seen them knocked back at scruitineering for hillclimbs/track days. Alteratively a roll of blue tape for battery and red tape for tow points is enough to apply triangles before scrutiny.

I was suggesting changing the seat out at the track. Should be back to stock in the pits in 15-20 minutes ready for your trip home (much quicker with practice).

One of the guys I race with has a Honda as his daily. He drives to the track with his tools & race rims in the back, swaps wheels, removes all door/roof/interior trim, rear seats, etc then races it stripped down and returns it to stock in about 15 minutes. Not suggesting you go that far, but every bit helps. Also depending on your type of racing, removal of trim/rear seats can put you into the Open class.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:16 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Also maybe instead of changing the pulley size again maybe invest in a Snow (or similar) water/methanol injection system to cool the charge, keeping the same boost but giving more reliability?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:38 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Quote:
but you already have a double bonnet catch

Depends on the scrutineer and what their thoughts are. I know i had to get a cable made up for a secondary bonnet catch as the scrutineer didnt think the bonnet latch was up to the job. This was on my wrx doing dirt sprints.

And Harley, the best way to find what your car must comply with, is to find the event regulations, which should list wether you need stickers, bonnet catch etc. Or even turn up at the event you want to participate in, and find a scrutineer to talk to and go over your car letting you know what you need.

Post subject: Track requirements
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:35 pm 
848cc
848cc

If you keep your car road registered different rules apply.
No need for a catch tank or a blue triangle. Tow hooks are optional (I just fit the front one). 4 point harness on a standard seat is a great improvement. Try before you buy a new seat. A non ADR seat will give you problems on the road.
Start with a bonnet strap and a fire extinguisher. Put the car on the track. If you are a couple of seconds slower than others in your class then you will pick this up with driving technique. If you are 10 seconds slower then maybe spend come money on the car. If you are 15 seconds slower then just drive for fun. Prize values are 1st place $10, second place $6 and 3rd place $3.50.
write this on a post-it note and place on the drivers sun visor. Read it every time you line up on the starting grid.
got to cams.com.au for more details.
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:50 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Frank are you going to phillip island next weekend?
I meant to chat to you yesterday when I was in Tobys but had to nick off early.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:34 pm 
848cc
848cc

Harley wrote:
Frank are you going to phillip island next weekend?
I meant to chat to you yesterday when I was in Tobys but had to Nick off early.

Yes, Sat & Sun. Should be hanging around Race Control at the bottom of the tower. Can offer you a deal to get 20 mins track time in October at no cost. :shock: