Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Rear Wiper Blade
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:53 am 
1275cc
1275cc

G'day all, does anybody know the trick to changing the blade on the rear wiper arm ?
( The car is an 04 Cooper S )

I have the whole arm off the car , is it the case that you have to change the bottom half of the wiper arm with a genuine part , or can you replace just the blade with an aftermarket blade ?

There is no way to take either end off , to slide the old blade out & the new blade in .

The other thing is , i don't want to get too heavy handed with it because it's mainly made of plastic , :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:02 am 
1360cc
1360cc

BMW will sell you a whole arm, but you don't need that at all.
You just need to remove the rubber wiper - i think the ends are crimped holding it in.

Buy a standard refill from an auto store, and separate the rubber wiper from the plastic and metal track. The rubber wiper should then fit into the plastis arm on the car.
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:15 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Harley wrote:
BMW will sell you a whole arm, but you don't need that at all.
You just need to remove the rubber wiper - i think the ends are crimped holding it in.

Buy a standard refill from an auto store, and separate the rubber wiper from the plastic and metal track. The rubber wiper should then fit into the plastis arm on the car.
:D

Have you actually done this yourself?

My local bmw service manager is a good friend of mine and said they couldnt be changed. This was in 03, maybe the 04 got a different arm with the 04 changes?

2002 JCW Cooper
2003 JCW Cooper S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:36 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

In the bottom section , ( the piece that holds the blade ) the ends are rolled over moulded plastic , so you can't actually slide a replacement blade in & out like you would on most normal style replacement blades.

I've been looking at it , and what i might do is file the outside end piece back flush , then that way you would be able to slide the old blade out , and then the new, ( aftermarket ) blade back in . The worst i can do is stuff it and have to buy the genuine part .

It looks like a BMW ploy to get you to spend more money for replacement paerts .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:39 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Babes wrote:
Have you actually done this yourself?
My local bmw service manager is a good friend of mine and said they couldnt be changed. This was in 03, maybe the 04 got a different arm with the 04 changes?

Was your friend trying to sell you a new assembly? :lol:

I had an 03 Cooper S, and changed the rear blades on a regular basis because I worked in an area with no roads - the dust would wear them out quickly.

The same blade refill for the front, when dismantled, will fit the back.

Yes, the ends are moulded plastic to stop it sliding out, but the wiper blade is rubber - just bend it round. No need to file anything off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:54 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Thanks for your help guys .
I ended up putting an Aunger , replacement blade in it , the groove where the hard plastic part runs through the small lugs is a fraction too small , we'll see how it goes .
The best part about it is you get 2 replacements out of the one blade , :D

I