Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: HYDRO DISPLACERS FYI
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:16 pm 
998cc
998cc

Hello All . I had to get my suspension pumped up as I am doing a complete resto. I spoke to Triggs in Newcastle. They told me to pump the suspension up with air 40psi normal car pump. They have been servicing BMC cars for 50 years. So yesterday I pumped the suspension up to 40psi. Trim height looked good which makes it easy to get on a trailer.I then checked for leaks with a spray bottle containing soapy water NO LEAKS. To day I took the C.S to Triggs the car was taken off the trailer .Then the mechanic who has done hundreds of minis before evacuated the system with the BMC pump and filled the suspension with the correct fluid ,which they make it does include Glycol with the other secret herbs and spices. Trim height was measured and the back was 25mm higher than the front.The car at the moment does not have petrol tanks or battery. The mechanic said it will level out when it is on the road.We also rocked the car from side to side.He also mentioned that you can fit a washer on the ball shaft to level the car out he has done this to some cars which were difficult to get the correct trim height. I fitted hy dis to my mini same numbers both side cleaned them out with metho .Made new hydro lines Difficult JOB to do. The suspension is now fantastic same trim height both sides except the rear is 25mm higher which will fix itself as I stood on the boot floor an it went down 25mm and I almost Forgot, the total cost for the job was $88.00 and took 35 mins to do.I hope this post helps members.
P7676

Post subject: Re: HYDRO DISPLACERS FYI
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:39 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Sounds good. But the proof of the pudding will be when you get it on the road and go over a few bumps and curves...a week of use should tell you where its ride height really is.

PS there are several threads on adjusting trumpet ride height and pumping up hydro, competition and other brews etc etc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:45 pm 
848cc
848cc

Use over the years fore & aft pitch on the front units caused simply from acceleration and braking, will always have greater attributed wear than the rears. Over time, older or used units will therefore show lower ride height under the same (engine) loaded weight conditions.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:33 am 
1275cc
1275cc

p7676 wrote:
Hello All . I had to get my suspension pumped up as I am doing a complete resto. I spoke to Triggs in Newcastle. They told me to pump the suspension up with air 40psi normal car pump. ....... Trim height was measured and the back was 25mm higher than the front.The car at the moment does not have petrol tanks or battery. The mechanic said it will level out when it is on the road.We also rocked the car from side to side............I fitted hy dis to my mini same numbers both side cleaned them out with metho .Made new hydro lines Difficult JOB to do. The suspension is now fantastic same trim height both sides except the rear is 25mm higher which will fix itself as I stood on the boot floor an it went down 25mm and I almost Forgot, the total cost for the job was $88.00 and took 35 mins to do.I hope this post helps members.
P7676

That's very interesting about air being used and 'worked'. Heard the same years ago but never tried it.
Minis are usually higher at the rear when stationary, because they level out a lot when moving. Check out "From the BMC Archive" section on here about Hydro suspension - no set height for rears but lists items in the boot that will affect it.
Agree about making up new pipe lines!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:19 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

When I was younger I tried using air to pump up a morris 1100 and it went up...then blew and came straight back down :( I didn't check pressure though so I suspect I over did it and that caused the system to fail.