Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:19 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:58 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

I brought a new toy to reset an airbag light in the outlaws two Volvo's! It will also read codes and reset lights on the Bini plus most other European cars fitted with the OBD2 or EOBD system. If anyone in Perth needs to use it my call out fee is beer :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:14 pm 
998cc
998cc

I will keep that in mind Marty , Beer international currency .

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:20 pm 
SooperDooperMiniCooper ExpertEngineering

I was without one of these readers some time back, and had to pay a Kmart mechanic 80 dollars to plug a unit in and tell me what number came out.

It was a secondary oxygen sensor in the end, and changing it myself still save me squillions, but I straight away ordered an OBD reader that evening :)

All garage work involves equal measures of enthusiasm, ingenuity and a fair degree of irresponsibility.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:31 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Similar story Mick, the sister-in-laws Volvo had the airbag light come on after she knock the plug out under the passenger seat. I plugged it back in but the light remained, Volvo wanted $200 to reset, I asked a local auto electrician he wanted $110. A few days later the Mother-in-law did the exact same thing in her Volvo so I brought the reader for $100! Reset them both in under five minutes!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:40 pm 
848cc
848cc

Looks like a good little unit Marty. I had a similar one for my Dad's SAAB and my Range Rover. It worked really well but I found after awhile, it was hard to get the software updates and then they just stopped doing updates all together. It had a few dramas with the Range Rover, but that car had some 27 odd ECU's, so it only really gave out base information.

Recently I've been using one of these:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Auto-Mini-V2 ... 53f7a96bbc

And then I just connect it to my phone with a full version of this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rque&hl=en

It's pretty sweet and gives you full access to the OBD. You can set up little "Dashboards" and have it give realtime data such as temps, rpm, boost etc. It will also scan for fault codes and allow you to clear them. For all up about $15, it invaluable. I just keep the Bluetooth dongle in my tooolbag so I can plug it into whatever car there is, Bluetooth to my phone which is always with me, and see what's going on.

Since my wife has taken a fancy to our Mitsubishi Challenger, I've been relegated to driving her Hyundai Getz a lot of the time. I've got a plan of buying a cheap android tablet and hard mounting it in the car and having it display a lot of data that isn't available on the analogue dash. For example, there is no temp gauge or oil gauge on the dash, but it has sensors for them and can be displayed as gauges using this system.

I'm not trying to cut into your beer business Marty :)

Cheers,
Keels