Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:52 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:06 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Just had our MINI Countryman in for its second service at 23500km
Wow! $1500.....
Oil change was $200 with 4.5l of Castrol oil at $85. Plus labour and filter @$19 WTF
Air filters, new spark plugs, new front disc pads.. Etc, etc
I think this may be our last BMW?

Been an expensive week as one of the run flats had a nail in it and couldn't be repaired, so $415 for a new tyre.

1978 ex 1275 LS ("Wizard" Eaton Supercharged) :)
2015 HSV GenF GTS(occasional drive & tow car)
2019 MINI F55 Cooper S

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:37 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

I would seriously be asking why the air filter, spark plugs and pads needed changing. Did they ask permission before doing all the extra stuff? Did you at least get to see the items they replaced to see why they threw 20k klm brake pads in the bin?

I know i bagged MINI's in that other thread but seriously, it's only done 20k klms. Have a look in your owners manual, there might be a service schedule in there which says when BMW say to change the plugs and filters under normal conditions. I bet it's not this early.

Sounds to me like the dealer just decided to take all of your money because they think they can. As for the oil change, the oil is pretty expensive but that filter is normal price.

My thoughts are you should make a big stink with the dealership over the service, and then in future take your car to an independent workshop so you can still enjoy your car until it falls apart in a few more years.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:29 am 
848cc
848cc

I use high quality Fuchs oil German engineered stuff and that is way better then Castrol and about $55

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:18 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

I had a BMW dealer do two oil change services on my MINI - both times they called me 2 hours after the car was dropped off because it needed 'extra' work.

The first one was they recommended new brake rotors and pads all round - conveniently they had the parts in stock and could do it for me for only $1500 extra.
I declined, then took the car to a real workshop where they decided only the rears needed doing and the job was done for $150.

The second time they called to recommend a new wiper blade on the rear - but since it's not removable from the arm I'd have to buy the whole assembly for $125.
Again I declined, and bought an $8 wiper refill on the way home and did it myself.

I stopped using BMW after that - and ultimately it was the terrible service and outrageous cost of fixing things anytime the car went wrong that led me to selling it for a more reliable Fiat.

Here's a tip when you're buying a new car - it's what I do:
Go and see the service manager and get a price from them for a standard service, the intervals, and a set of brake rotors and pads.
If you're not comfortable with that - consider a different car!