Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:46 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hey guys,
So my '02 Cooper (aspirated) just started overheating today while I was idling at the lights! The fan would kick in while the temp gauge would still be reading normal temperature levels, then after 1min or so of the fan coming on, the temperature gauge would spike up to about 3/4 of the way up the gauge. It stayed there for about 20secs, then came back down to be pretty much bang on the centre again. It did this every time I was idling for more than about 1min. If I started moving while the gauge was creeping up or at its highest point, the gauge would immediately drop back down to normal... This was all on a 21 degree day with a cool breeze & a/c was off... I've just checked the car out as best as I can based on some forum searches, fan looks as new (and is on the correct way!), radiator & hoses look great besides a few fresh bugs in the radiator (both were replaced by the previous owner around 18months ago), but coolant level is sitting *slightly* under the 'min' line. Would that tiny bit less coolant be enough to make it overheat like that, or should I be looking out for something else before I go to the auto shop tonight?

Cheers in advance for your help!

Ethan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:03 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Sounds a bit like it has air in the cooling system but that would be a bit odd unless someone has just worked on it.

I think those cars have a bleed valve on a radiator hose or somewhere on the motor you could try.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:38 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hmm ok... I can't imagine that being the case since it hasn't been to the workshop in about 5000kms.. And even that was just for the drive belt... Only other stuff has been topping up the fluids...
Realised I had some compatible coolant at home, so topped it up & will see how she goes tomorrow with idling... Would air in the system only be a problem that would surface with low coolant levels, perhaps?

Cheers
Ethan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:45 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I can't imagine that it's a coolant level issue as you haven't mentioned any issues with
the coolant of late , if it's got coolant in the bottle it shoud be fine.

I'd be more inclined to think that it is a sender or gauge issue .

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:02 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Usually if the guage fluctuates relatively quickly, its normally the guage / sender/wiring etc, as its not normally possible for temp of engine can't change that fast. One of those temp guns are good for checking different parts. I.e engine compared to radiator.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:43 am 
848cc
848cc

Check your low speed fan is working, there is a resistor directly behind the radiator that is exposed to the elements that often fails, this controls the low speed fan, the high speed fan will still operate at temps above 105. To check if your low speed fan is working, turn the AC on, this will trigger the low speed fan as well as the power steering pump fan. If it is the resistor that is crook there is an easy mod, otherwise you have to remove the front bar to remove the radiator.