Ausmini
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:12 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Highest Km R53
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:05 am 
848cc
848cc

Hi All,

I thought I would start a topic to see what high km R53's there are around. I have a July 2002 MCS JCW with 183,000. It is still going well a few things that Ihave done to keep it alive are listed below. I have done everything myself to keep costs down.

It is JCW but I think it looks like exhaust and computer. I am not sure what else what installed in my kit, but brakes and inlet look stock and the supercharger has the 63mm pulley, so Ithink it it is also stock.

Work I have done in the past 2 years.

- Overhauled the cooling system trying to chase down an electrical fault. New fan, new header tank, new thermostat. Turned out it was just a wire on the exhaust heat shield.
- New throwout bearing. still has the clutch chatter as a standard feature.
- Fixed all the oil leaks with new o rings and seals around the place including sump.
- AC died, but it was only the clutch. New clutch from ebay and followed ModMini's clutch replacement. problem solved for $50, not $900.
-- Typical inner and outer cv boot repacements.
- Timing Chain tensioner replacement.
- K&N air filter in the standard air box.
- New belt and changed the supercharger oil.

Things that worry me at the moment include

- It does not have the pepper that I feel it should.
- Cabin noise sounds either induction or exhausty. I have driven later 05 mcs and they are more refined in the cabin noise. Not sure if I have an induction leak or exhaust leak.
- Clutch chatter. I wonder if this is the flywheel and if I should replace the flywheel.
- squeaks and rattles from the sunroof.
- I think there is still timing chain noise every now and then. It appears to be getting worse over the last month. I think I will do the guides and new chain.
- There is a squeak when I change gears. A couple of the engine mounts are starting to wear.
- I think the struts have mushroomed a bit over time. The shock tower bolts appear to slighty be expanding.
- When it starts it sometimes does not start on the first go. Then when you turn it over again it is perfect. Not sure what this. maybe fuel?
- I am thinking about doing a pulley upgrade but I have read that the JCW superchargers may not work with the stock upgrades? does anyone know about this?
- Power steering is a little noisy and leaks a little from some of the hoses. Not a big issue but is expensive to fix.
- The power windows are unpredictable, but when I go to fix them they start working again.
- There is a slight hesitation when you press the throttle down hard in short jabs. it sounds like air is being sucked in first then it revs. Not sure if this is normal.

Does anyone else have any of the issues above or have an older R53 that has done a few km's?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Highest Km R53
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:54 am 
1098cc
1098cc

What is R53?????

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:30 am 
1275cc
1275cc

R53 is the model code for the MINI Cooper S first generation. The standard models were code R50, convertibles R52

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:46 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

ok, I also have a 2002 JCW the starting issue is fuel... I had identical issue on 98 octane,
mine is fairly quiet on the highway,
Sunroof can be tightened up.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:02 pm 
848cc
848cc

2005 R53 with 261000km
repaced clutch at 249000
on 3rd set of brakes and 5th set of tyres
replaced engine mount, harmonic balancer before 150000km
had hail damage repairs and am awaiting delivery of a RHS electric window motor
Otherwise goes okay

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:20 pm 
848cc
848cc

mines on 150k
2006 R53 cooper S checkmate

not sure if I've got clutch slip or its just the way the LSD operates.... when cruising at 80km on a freeway and boot , it feels like the clutch slips? it revs up and then settles..

also done the bloody tensioner twice due to low oil levels, (got a leak somewhere) is there a low oil level warning/light??

BTW absolutely love this car

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:46 pm 
848cc
848cc

timmy201 wrote:
R53 is the model code for the MINI Cooper S first generation. The standard models were code R50, convertibles R52

Nice!