Ausmini
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:07 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:48 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

simonw wrote:
Ill check what i have Timmy .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Simon
simon k wrote:
I had some C washers made that are .200" thick - I then surface ground one to suit the crank after I'd filed it square

I have some spares if needed

Hmm. The new C clip I bought is now a perfect tight fit in the crank. I think if I can't find the right size thrust washer locally I'll get a new backing ring - that way I can use one of the thrust washers I have already

Did you grind the thick washer back to size to match the crank - would it end up being thicker than a standard one?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:20 pm 
Yay For Hay!

timmy201 wrote:
Hmm. The new C clip I bought is now a perfect tight fit in the crank. I think if I can't find the right size thrust washer locally I'll get a new backing ring - that way I can use one of the thrust washers I have already

Did you grind the thick washer back to size to match the crank - would it end up being thicker than a standard one?

gotcha.. I wasn't sure if the C washer you'd bought was thick enough for the crank. My crank had wear in the groove so even a new C washer flopped around. I forget how much thicker than a standard one it ended up, but it was a fair bit, like between .020 and .040"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:13 pm 
998cc
998cc

simonw wrote:
Ill check what i have Timmy .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
sorry mate nothing that big :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Previous - 1978 Leyland LS 1275 Gold
- 1969 Mini K

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:24 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I had 2 flywheels set aside and I was hoping to use one for this engine. I sent them up to drmini for him to have a look at - the 2 piece one got the go ahead for some further attention..

I got this back today! It's been lightened, balanced and had the diaphragm height set. My friend James recently upgraded to an orange clutch diaphragm so his old blue dot will be put to good use :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:57 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Some of the last parts have turned up, a new AP clutch plate and some RHP diff bearings. I'll get the diff into the gearbox casing soon which will complete the gearbox

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:09 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

The new diff bearings got installed and I checked the pre load on the bearings. I need to get a couple of extra shims as it’s a bit loose at the moment.

On Sunday I was able to get a hand from Justin to get the end float right on the idler gear. Rather strangely I needed the two thinnest thrust washers in his stock to get it right.

Once I can double check all my work and torque settings I can bolt the gearbox and engine together finally!

I also installed the offset woodruff key and checked the cam timing. It’s all good now so I can install the timing cover.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:17 am 
998cc
998cc

Great progress timmy !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Previous - 1978 Leyland LS 1275 Gold
- 1969 Mini K

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12