Ausmini
It is currently Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:49 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:28 pm 
848cc
848cc

Got the head on today and there's no doubt that it felt very weird to be putting gasket goo on little cut out pieces of BK450 head gasket to fit over the old pushrod holes as well as the steam vent holes. Gasket goo on a head gasket was the equivalent feeling of watching someone put milk in with the teabag before the hot water. I used Permatex Ultra Copper gasket goo.

I have seen/heard of people using head gasket spray (I think duplex does a product for this) that is supposedly used to seal head gaskets better, but the permatex goop should do it.

The breather/filler is next on the list of to do's. One line is going to go from the head to the filler, and another line will go to a catch tank. Should be straight forward and a little easier/simpler than the last oil thing I made up.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:09 pm 
848cc
848cc

Time for an update of the progress over the last few weeks;

Oil filler widget has been made up. An oil return line from the head and a brass fitting to take a line to a breather/catch tank.

Pretty happy with how that turned out.

Next up is sorting out the mounting of the top passenger side engine mount. I lowered the engine into the car for the first time and marked up of the cam pulley plate where the bracket will mount up too. No engine crane - no worries.

I also picked up a fancy MED Engineering damper and trigger wheel. Currently waiting on my Champion neighbour who is turning up a custom spacer that I will need to make it all work and clear the other pulleys. Times like this I wish I had a lathe!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:26 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Very good progress! How much more work do you have to do before the engine is in for good?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:45 pm 
848cc
848cc

timmy201 wrote:
Very good progress! How much more work do you have to do before the engine is in for good?

Thanks Timmy. Not too much to go. I will make up a coolant return line from the cylinder head as the current one will foul on the alternator, but other than putting new inner CVs on there isn't anything else significant.

Col made up the spacer for me on his lathe and now the trigger wheel clears the timing belt pulleys nicely. I had to move the idler as the bolt was fouling the trigger wheel teeth so it's now sitting higher on the egg plate. I think I remember seeing it like this on Steve's build so it shouldn't cause an issue but it is strange that the idler is now only eld on by the center bolt.....

Extremely happy with the MED pulley - exxy but cool and very high quality.

Top engine mount bracket is mounted after the height of where it is to be mounted after dropping the engine into the bay earlier in the week.

When I get told to isolate progress will be through the roof!! Next update should have the engine in the car for good! (at least until the key gets turned)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:41 am 
998cc
998cc

Looking good! It’s damn handy having a good neighbour like you do! If you can’t have a lathe, just live next to one!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:23 pm 
848cc
848cc

braad wrote:
Looking good! It’s damn handy having a good neighbour like you do! If you can’t have a lathe, just live next to one!

Thanks braad - yep spot on. Like many others that have helped me with this build, I can't thank Col enough!

Coils and injectors are next on the never ending purchase list. Can anyone recommend suitable coils that fit the head (corolla perhaps?) as well as injectors that fit the BMW rail? I've got the stock injectors at the moment, but granted they were made for a 1200cc engine and have seen some older threads with dead links to bigger injectors and coils. Any recommendations? Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:21 am 
848cc
848cc

If you dont mind a pom answering here you go, the std injectors are rated at around 148cc which if you run them at 100% duty cycle ( not recommended) can just about do the job if you run them at 3 bar , but the later fuel rail with the built in pressure regulator is set at 2.5 bar so really wont work, the best bet is to get some high independence injectors at around 250cc if you use the original fuel rail, if you use an earlier fuel rail without the built in pressure regulator ie K1100 etc and use a regulator set at 3 bar then injectors around 200cc will do the job. As for the injectors themselves just look for a car with a 4 cyl engine that makes around 140+ bhp they will do the job, it may be a case of changing the o ring sizes and spacing the fuel rail but not too much hassle

Shooter

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6