Ausmini
It is currently Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:12 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:04 pm 
848cc
848cc

timmy201 wrote:
One tip regarding timing - if you've got a modern car with an OBD2 port, you can get a dongle and connect to your phone via an app. On mine I can check the timing vs RPM & load. It gives you a good idea of where to start

Mine goes up over 50 degrees of timing under part throttle coasting

Thanks Timmy - what I will need to do in this case as timing is advance is listen for knock. I'm yet to find out if this engine is one where the timing will be torque limited or knock limited. As advancing timing for a steady RPM normally sees a bell curve shaped torque increase where knock will occur somewhere along that line. Usually knock starts to occur before the max torque occurs but there are circumstances where the torque will start to decline as timing continues to advance prior to knock occurring.

Audio knock detection equipment makes this process a bit easier - so am hoping to reach out to some resident dynos soon to see if they can give me some time on the dyno. Either way, until then I've more or less mimicked the SC ignition map but have not exceeded 25". This lead to a noticeable increase in power over the 15" I had it capped at on the last drive.

Today I took to the back industrial streets to road tune the fuel map. I managed to bed down the 1500-4000rpm vs TPS areas of the fuel map and all went very well. I'm amazed at the smooth power this engine produces and the low down torque and sound from the individual pod filters is absolutely unreal. I'm very excited to see this engine come along as the tune is improved!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:28 am 
848cc
848cc

Questions for any twin cam experts out there - do these engines experience knock before maximum torque when tuning ignition? Or does the torque start decreasing before knock?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:26 am 
848cc
848cc

jpodge wrote:
Questions for any twin cam experts out there - do these engines experience knock before maximum torque when tuning ignition? Or does the torque start decreasing before knock?

Can't help you Joe I have NFI.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9