Ausmini
It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:32 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:45 pm 
Offline
848cc
848cc

Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:03 pm
Posts: 7
Hi members

Currently restoring a 70 Mk2 S and one of the hydro units hoses has broken off at unit end. I have seen some online references to tapping out and putting thread into unit then fitting new hose.

Has anyone tried this? Worth the effort? I have most workshop gear to do the job but will need to het hoses made.

3 have hoses seemingly with no damage but need to test.

Regards
Richard


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:35 am 
Offline
religious status
religious status
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:19 pm
Posts: 39236
Location: near Baulkham Hills, NSW
Attachment:
IMG_20201002_094008_01.jpg
Attachment:
IMG_20201225_055033.jpg
I have repaired many this way, using Pirtek MPH 06 hose. I used to keep the hydro barb at the pipe connection, however they are less secure than a brass 3/8 BSP tail. I drill the 5/8 UNF hydro flare nut to 13mm to fit the tail.
I used to get Pirtek to crimp the hoses, but now use 2 Oetiker circle clamps each end.
I tap the bag 1/8 BSP x 3/8" deep, and fit a SS nipple and 1/8 x 3/8 reducing bush, Loctite 262 the fittings. Hose has a 3/8 dia x 3/8 BSP brass nut and tail. I have also used 3/8 dia x 1/4 BSP nut and tail.

Old bags that have dried out over the years are less successful, some crack through the rubber cone at the top. Bags should be stored with glycol antifreeze in them.


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
DrMini- 1970 wasaMatic 1360, Mk1S crank, 86.6HP (ATW) =~125 @ crank @7000+, 45 Dellorto, RE282 sprint cam, 1.5 rockers, 11.0:1 C/R. Going harder with Peak ignition system fitted. :mrgreen:


Last edited by drmini in aust on Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:05 am 
Offline
848cc
848cc

Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:09 pm
Posts: 28
Location: Sth of Ipswich in the Scenic Rim
What would be suitable to coat the outside rubber surface? It is probably something we should be doing to our bags on the car as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:56 am 
Offline
religious status
religious status
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:19 pm
Posts: 39236
Location: near Baulkham Hills, NSW
Fritzie wrote:
What would be suitable to coat the outside rubber surface? It is probably something we should be doing to our bags on the car as well.


Other rubber goods are often stored long term in a bag with talcum powder in it, I bought a serpentine drive belt packed this way.
On car though, it's really just the dust boot that hardens and can crack eventually. But this takes many years. New boots are still available.

_________________
DrMini- 1970 wasaMatic 1360, Mk1S crank, 86.6HP (ATW) =~125 @ crank @7000+, 45 Dellorto, RE282 sprint cam, 1.5 rockers, 11.0:1 C/R. Going harder with Peak ignition system fitted. :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:41 am 
Offline
848cc
848cc

Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:03 pm
Posts: 7
Thanks. Detailed instructions perfect. I was hoping to keep the units going so I am in business!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 10 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  

© 2016 Ausmini. All garage work involves equal measures of enthusiasm, ingenuity and a fair degree of irresponsibility.