Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:51 am 
848cc
848cc

Hi all,
I’m hoping someone can give me some guidance on a selector fork issue. I’m close to starting a rebuild on a 4 synchro, remote, gearbox.
The 1st/2nd selector fork has a clearance to the synchro gear of 0.025”. I understand anything above 0.015” is bad & I should get a new selector fork. However, a lot of internet advice says that the new after-market forks all have more clearance than they should!
So, as they cost somewhere around $200 I’d feel pretty silly buying one only to find the clearance is no better than what I’ve already got.
Can anyone throw some light on this issue for me please?
Cheers
Alby

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:26 pm 
Yay For Hay!

I didn't measure the clearance, but I did put a new selector fork in my mate's gearbox last year. His was so badly worn it wouldn't go into 2nd gear at all. The new one needed to be ground to clear the back of the case - it hit the case before it selected 2nd gear

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:44 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

simon k wrote:
The new one needed to be ground to clear the back of the case - it hit the case before it selected 2nd gear

Is that because it was a three speed synchro fork being put in a four speed synchro box? Pretty sure that's what was done for my recent rebuild - modifying the 3 speed fork by removing some metal.

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:49 pm 
848cc
848cc

Have been researching this for some hours now. Sounds like using the 3 synchro fork with some careful grinding is the way to go.
Anyone got a decent one they care to part with?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:11 pm 
Yay For Hay!

winabbey wrote:
simon k wrote:
The new one needed to be ground to clear the back of the case - it hit the case before it selected 2nd gear

Is that because it was a three speed synchro fork being put in a four speed synchro box? Pretty sure that's what was done for my recent rebuild - modifying the 3 speed fork by removing some metal.

I purchased it as a 4 synchro fork, I didn't know that there was a possibility of fitting a 3 synchro version... knowing that makes me less offended at the one I fitted getting through quality control

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:16 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

John Smidt supplied a three synchro fork and told me about the modification, which was done by my mechanic. I think he basically held the two forks next to each other, scribed and then trimmed the length of the 3 synchro fork.

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:13 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Correct Winabbey.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:29 pm 
848cc
848cc

Just to finish off my original request, I’ve found a NOS 3 synchro selector fork & will trim it to fit as per some of the above posts.
Thanks for some good thoughts,
Alby