Ausmini
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:22 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:05 am 
848cc
848cc

Hi everyone,
I don't know if this is the right place to talk about this project, but feel free to move it if you need to.

For those of you who don't know me, let me introduce myself quickly. I've been working on minis since I was twelve thirteen years old, and I've learnt a lot with these cars (carburetion, ignition, mechanical design, etc.).

Now, as an industrial engineering student, I wanted a project that was a bit more substantial and complete than what I'd been able to do up until now.

As some of you know, I have been working for a while time on the modelling of 8 port cylinder heads.

(as Trog was able to do with his cylinder head, thanks for sharing!)

The obejctive would be to revive the group two cylinder head.

So the first step was to read the documentation for this competition.
(source mk1 forum)

and finally, the regulations only require a few elements to be able to respond to this group's cylinder heads, which is good news!

After a year's research, I was able to start the work of modelling, understanding and analysing, which will enable this model to be competitive.

This work required a lot of time, a number of simulations, and also the development of a number of 3D printed prototypes.

The first of many steps was to determine the location of the important components of the cylinder head, i.e. the studs, the rocker arm passages, the coolant passages and the oil passages.

Once the elements had been designed, I printed them out to check the accuracy of the design.

Next step, the shape of the intake and exhaust ducts and the combustion chamber had to be determined.
Although as an engineering student I have access to interesting resources, but this part was extremely time-consuming.

The following images are not from the latest simalutions or designs (to protect my work I hope you'll understand). .
But they are useful for illustrating the post.
As you can see, I carried out a number of CFD simulations in order to optimise the flow of the cylinder head.
This was useful, because it's 'quite complicated' :) to predict how a fluid will react depending on its velocity and the shape of the duct through which it flows.

The influence of the shape of the intake manifold on the flow is important, and simulations make it easier to interpret the results.
(non-contractual photo)

finally, after a few (many) hours, I managed to get a complete design

I've printed the whole thing out to check it.
but as it's a big piece, i had to do it in four parts, you can see the joins and the lack of detail, effectively it's a lightened version because concerning the time it's the equivalent of more than 4 days of printing 24/24.

threaded rods are only used to hold 3d printed parts in place :lol: .

I won't be posting any photos of the chambers, final ducts or intake manifold for the time being. However, I hope you'll be interested in the project, and I'll be happy to talk about it.

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:55 am 
1098cc
1098cc

What a wonderful job you have done, congrats.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:07 pm 
998cc
998cc

Greet project, looks like a lot of work to date, and a long way to go for the final cast iron product. Keep us posted!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:25 pm 
SooperDooperMiniCooper ExpertEngineering

Wonderful work! Certainly, has to be enough for a 4th year Ind. Eng. design Thesis at as minimum!

Can your modelling indicate performance at part-throttle or transient load response as well? I'm really interested in the modelling, it's a brave new world in design.

All garage work involves equal measures of enthusiasm, ingenuity and a fair degree of irresponsibility.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:44 pm 
848cc
848cc

thank guys

In fact, we can simulate a complete engine cycle. But this requires a lot of resources, with moving parts (lift, duration, speed, etc.) and the fuel mixture. So it's simpler to run several CFD simulations with boundary conditions.

CFD analysis of flow in a cylinder head is I think one of the most difficult, because there are so many time-dependent variables (not like a simple plumbing valve, for example).
But they do enable us to understand the displacement behavior of a fluid (I don't know if I can say it like that).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:10 am 
848cc
848cc

Good evening everyone,

With the aim of improving our mini engines I had a few questions.
I'm going to do a dynamic CFD analysis of the cylinder head, but before I start I had a few questions.
I'm not going to do it 10 times because the calculation times are quite long.

In order to be as accurate and close to reality as possible, I want to get closer to a " realistic " configuration.

1# I have doubts about the CR to apply, a CR that is not just theoretical (ideal), I was thinking of 10.3 is a good aim ?

2# Similarly for the aac what should I simulate, to keep things simple I have in mind a range of aac Sw10 or Sw23.
However, I don't have the Sw23 timing and I'm not sure about the Sw10 timing.

3# Same for the rotation speed,

the table is with Sw10 timing

If some have already done this kind of simulation, advice is welcome.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:42 pm 
848cc
848cc

Wow what a nice project

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:41 pm 
998cc
998cc

That’s incredible work Baptiste! I can’t help answer your questions, but hopefully you can find the answers through this or another forum.

Keep up the great work!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:19 pm 
848cc
848cc

baptiste wrote:
Good evening everyone,
If some have already done this kind of simulation, advice is welcome.

I haven't... this guy might have:
https://aseriesmodifications.wordpress.com/