Ausmini
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:08 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: SU Assembly Tips
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:04 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Okay guys here are some tips for those of you that think you're God's gift to the Skinners Union, like me:

1. The lift pin is important. Remember to put it back in when reassembling the carb. When you forget, don't waste time trying to install it with the carb in the car. It isn't possible. I tried. After loosing 3 circlips I have up and took the carb off. And before you get any silly ideas like 'I don't really need the circlip, I can just sit the pin there', take a second thought. Glad I did - I'm guessing if I'd done that the lift pin would be sucked up!

2. Double check the float lid. I thought mine was working fine, but realised that wasn't so after fuel pissed out the lid. And I spent so long polishing it as well.

3. Only the bride of Satan can use gasket goo. The rest of us infidel should avoid it like the plague. All it achieves is a big mess. I hate the stuff, if you hadn't already guessed (although it is okay to use it on the timing chain cover, but nowhere else!)

After doing all this, and still finding that your freshly rebuilt carb STILL won't work, give up and put the HS2 back on. Upon thinking about how much money rebuilding the carb cost, go inside, find that bottle of double malt scotch you were saving for a rainy day and have a drink. You don't need a glass.

None the less, with the toy carb back on, it still goes alright! I really pissed off a VX Clubsport driver coz my car could pull almost 80km/h through that little roundabout - his couldn't. I had to squint to find him in the mirror :)

Post subject: Re: SU Assembly Tips
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:55 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Anto wrote:
3. Only the bride of Satan can use gasket goo. The rest of us infidel should avoid it like the plague. All it achieves is a big mess. I hate the stuff, if you hadn't already guessed (although it is okay to use it on the timing chain cover, but nowhere else!)

AND

None the less, with the toy carb back on, it still goes alright! I really pissed off a VX Clubsport driver coz my car could pull almost 80km/h through that little roundabout - his couldn't. I had to squint to find him in the mirror :)

Anto, there is a gasket goo (whos name escapes me at the moment) that is excellent and even a Uni Student can use it. The goop comes in a little white plakky bottle marked aircraft something or other with a brush and all you do is it get a thin smear on both sides of the gasket before assemby (supercheap stocks it). Impervious to fuel and easy to dissassembleate.

Be careful when out there playing.......won't you :wink:

Post subject: Re: SU Assembly Tips
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:03 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

9YaTaH wrote:
Anto wrote:

AND

Anto, there is a gasket goo (whos name escapes me at the moment) that is excellent and even a Uni Student can use it. The goop comes in a little white plakky bottle marked aircraft something or other with a brush and all you do is it get a thin smear on both sides of the gasket before assemby (supercheap stocks it). Impervious to fuel and easy to dissassembleate.

Be careful when out there playing.......won't you :wink:
yeh i use that stuff, was good for su rebuild , i used it on mine ;) cant remember wat it was called either tho :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:08 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

That is the stuff I was using. I hate it just as much as the other stuff. Main difference is, it's more sticky! I'm not saying it doesn't work, if anything it works too well! It's especially annoying when you keep pulling the carb off the manifold, as you have to clean it up and put a new gasket each time. The last gaskets I bought are nice and 'cushy' and work very well without gasket goo. Or possibly they don't and that's the root of my problem!

Anto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:10 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Loctite brand??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:05 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

J_A_M wrote:
Loctite brand??
mine isnt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:22 pm 
religious status
religious status

It's `Permatex #3 aviation gasket ce-ment...' available from yer local servo and elsewhere. Now owned by Loctite but it's in the same white bottle with red/blue writing.
Good crap, but keep it away from your SU- it doesn't need it. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:06 am 
1360cc
1360cc

It's now called Loctite Number 3 Aviation Gasket Sealant small bottle, brown gooey stuff, smells good too (then again I've grown to like the smell of CV joint grease :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:01 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Strange how us car nuts grow to like all those carsonogenic lubricants.... I'm beginning to like the smell of ATF, is there something wrong with me????

Post subject: Yes there is!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:43 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Anto wrote:
Strange how us car nuts grow to like all those carsonogenic lubricants.... I'm beginning to like the smell of ATF, is there something wrong with me????

and its got nothing to do with anything you have been sniffing!! See ya tommorrow night at the club meeting :shock: