Ausmini
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:53 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:29 am 
1275cc
1275cc

I am looking into putting a quick release hub between my momo wheel and boss, for both security + having easy entry to the confined space in the 850 (roll cage side bars - very intrusive)...... was just wondering if anyone has used one, has had any problems, has found it useful, etc etc....

The one that i can get is chrome, and costs $169 new. Know of a better deal??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:57 am 
the King of Bling

I'd Like one also for security but at 165 :? also for a Momo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:36 am 
1360cc
1360cc

Yeah just getting a mono steering wheel will be the big hurdle for me too :wink:

If you get it, let us know how you go...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:00 am 
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK

i think you will find they are illegle for rd use in nsw as for sa who knows

makka

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:33 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Most of the modifications i am doing are illegal anyway, so why not just do another one :wink:

If the car gets defected, i mean - WHEN - the car gets defected, i'd rather have a whole page of problems rather than just 1 or 2. I dont do things by halves 8) :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:58 am 
1360cc
1360cc

lol I like your style! good luck! :lol: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:57 pm 
848cc
848cc

Just had a chat with an engineer (nsw)... asking some questions about brakes, but also quizzed him with legallity of all those little mods we all do, or our minis already have... Bottom line is its all illegal pretty much without engineer inspection and approval.... so dont worry about legality, just dont go unclipping it infront of coppers or mentioning it to your Rego guy... If he notices and has a problem with it, you know what to do....... go home and unfit it, get the car passed, drive home and re fit it.... or if this approach doesn't suit, do every mod you will ever think you want, bite the bullet and go get it engineered and he can inspect everything at once, and make it cheaper, they like input too, so if anyones building something radical, conversations with an engineer from day 1 could save a lot of heartache down the line

Incidentally if your passing rego with a full cage with sidebars, i doubt the wheel would be an issue :D

I had a shpiel about this in the KEI engine conversion forum, my feeling being dont attract to much attention with loud mods and keep the mods you do looking as subtle/factory as possible

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:37 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Gareth_1330 wrote:
dont attract to much attention with loud mods and keep the mods you do looking as subtle/factory as possible

Aw crap. That counts me out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:36 am 
1098cc
1098cc

Hmm, we have a similar regime in NZ, whereby more or less anything needs certification. There's limits for some things like power output - over 20% over original requires certification. And it's expensive, NZ$350 for a fews mods up to NZ$1200 for a scratch built car. Hi Lo's, negative camber brackets, widened steel rims etc all need certifying, and if you can't prove the quality of welds on a rim for example, it will never get certified.

You may get pulled by a cop, or you may not get a WoF. But the crucial thing is an accident. Even if it's not your fault, if your car is subsquently found to have a roll cage, 1380 motor, harnesses, wide steels wheels, small (<320mm I think) steering wheel, lights etc, and none of it has ever seen an engineer, you may be found liable and sued for a huge, bankrupting, amount. Not just a ticket, sued.

It's a pretty slim chance it would happen, but as soon as it did, you'd regret not keeping it legal. There are people who have been in similar situations, and because they disregarded the law, they've no possessions and a black mark. It's like driving without insurance and slamming into a Merc - you'd never be able to pay for it. Insurance companies never forget. They will lodge that claim against you and get their money, it's what they do.

Sorry to be a bit of a downer, but it's just the other side of the coin. You may not get found out, but what if you do and the situation turns nasty? Like a passenger in your car dies? It does happen, people get sued and it can f**k up your life.

Personally, I have one or two small mods which might need certifying, like a steering drop bracket, but will only get it certified when I have enough mods to make it worthwhile.

Obviously, everyone has a personal standard they live to. A loud exhaust might get you a ticket, but doesn't make the vehicle unsafe, A steering column made up from 'wobbler' connections from a socket set probably is... (A mod seen by a local vehicle certifier).

Your call.