Ausmini
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:47 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:27 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

OK, need advise badly. I've got this itch.....and it just needs to be scratched.

I've been deliberating for some time about what to do. Found all these peeps putting honda/suzi/toyota and god only knows what else into their minis.

I have a good base to start from if I go for the mini. 1275 A+ motor/box with lots of bolt on bits HIF6/manifold/electronic ignition/4 pot ventilated discs/thermo fan/Mk4 Grille with Spotties. Car is completely rebuilt/resprayed/deseamed/debumpered so nothing else to do there. Just need to decide what to do with motor (i have a blower much like SC850's sitting there also).

Ive been kind of having an each way bet for a while buying parts for a bombed mini motor (tho lost a Kent 286 megadyne cam kit/roller rockers/double row timing chain in a break up, she wouldn't give 'em back).

I've acquired a throttle body/inlet manifold/head/ hpc coated exhaust manifold and turbo for a starlet motor.

A series pros
I have DV's bible and know of what can be done to an A series motor 'relatively' easily to make some serious horse power.
Won't require re-inventing the wheel (quoted $5-$7k to fit starlet motor plus engine)

A series cons
What initial cost to have a very quick street mini and will parts continue to be available.

Starlet EP82 (1.3l turbo) pros
Parts, aftermarket parts, longevity, 5sp box, fool injection. Very easy to make (tyres) go very quick, don't know about traction tho.

EP82 cons
Re-inventing the wheel. Traction

Help!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:08 am 
1275cc
1275cc

I aint no doctor, but my advice would be this:

FIRSTLY, find out what power to weight ratio you would like to achieve..

If you want power to match, lets say, a standard S13 Nissan Silvia turbo that produces 170 Flywheel HP and weighs 1120Kgs (that equates to 0.15 HP for every 1 KG), you would need to use the same equation to calculate your power requirement.

So.... if 1 kilo needs 0.15 HP, and your mini weighs about 650kgs, this is the calculation..... 650 x 0.15 = HP needed (which is 97.5 flywheel horsepower in this case). A mini would probably require 5-10% more power than that due to initial traction problems assosciated with being a front wheel drive....

SECONDLY, you'll need to find a small enough engine that can create that sort of power in standard form. I say this because a standard motor will usually last longer than a modified one..

If traction is a problem, fit a 2-stage boost-switch kit (low boost for first and second, high for 3rd and 4th ) or just learn to feather the accelerator.

Considering a standard EP82 motor puts out 133 flywheel HP, that would give your mini 0.2 HP per KG - faster than the silvia...... but dont forget, a turbo motor will weigh more than the a-series you currently have, so your car will weigh more.

More weight = loss of power.
Less weight = gain in power.

The final decision is up to you, i just hope this can help you a bit...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:56 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Ok. Investigations have revealed ample horsepower is available in some way, shape or form from the 'Series A' engine.

Further question - Gearbox. DV reckons the A+ is good for say 100nm of tourqe, but only breifly comments. Anybody having issues with putting healthy amounts of horsepower through the gearbox and, even further, to the ground?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:06 pm 
religious status
religious status

I know a guy who is putting around 140HP from a stroker 1400 turbo, through a Mini-K box. No problems yet.
BTW, a K box is pretty much a MK2 `S' box with slightly wider ratios. Just as strong.

All 4 synchro boxes, rod or remote- are pretty strong, if rebuilt properly with new parts whereever needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:28 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

drmini in aust wrote:
I know a guy who is putting around 140HP from a stroker 1400 turbo, through a Mini-K box. No problems yet.
BTW, a K box is pretty much a MK2 `S' box with slightly wider ratios. Just as strong.

All 4 synchro boxes, rod or remote- are pretty strong, if rebuilt properly with new parts whereever needed.
that grants 850?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:41 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I know this is silly question but assuming I have 1275 A+ already and have carbs /manifold/ ignition/ rad (& fan) what else do I need and what are some cost guestimates.

Below Head - Cost to essentially just strengthen everything, maybe get some low CR pistons?
Head Porting - Only minor porting required if it's going to be turbo'd. Cost?
CAM - Best one for turbo charging.
Gearbox/Diff rebuild - What does this involve and cost.
Oil Cooler - Don't have one yet. Cost? Best type?
Anything else I've forgotten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:14 pm 
religious status
religious status

ausminis4u wrote:
drmini in aust wrote:

that grants 850?

Yep, that's the one. I think it's a +.040" overbore, stroked to around 1400cc. He had 13x6 wheels on it, went back to 10x6s to get some traction... :P

Did 14.? at Eastern Ck with the 13s on.