Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:08 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:48 am 
998cc
998cc

hello all. ive been thinking off fitting a booster to my mini but am getting mixed comments regarding this topic.
At present im running Mg metro turbo vented discs with ap racing 4 spot callipers with green stuff pads and the rear is running spacer drums with all new linnings.
I was hoping to fit a booster of a 1996 model mini as I like the look a lot better than the standard 1275 item.The 1996 type has the fluid refill container in the front witch i like.
My brakes work great and they pull up the car no worrys but you have to put some effort into it and give it a good stomp to get them to realy lock on and as the peddel is quite small and im running a custum console the clutch peddel and brake peddel are very close together and sometime if you get courght of guard you can stomp on the gas at the same time too.Maybe Ive just got big feet???? but it was suggested to me buy a freind to fit a booster that way you wont have to put so much effort into pressing down the peddel. My question dose anyone know if this can be done???I allready know how much one is as a kit $350 give or take a bit..witch is fine...and do you think it will give me better brake response???? do you think its a good idear???

any comments good or bad send send send.....will look forward to you replys.

from minifreak1.... brien@iprimus.com.au

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:39 pm 
religious status
religious status

I think you will find the 1996 type is a combined master cylinder and booster, it has all different linkage from the pedal up. Also if you want to pull the motor out, there's more work to do....

Easiest way, IMO is find/buy/fit a `PBR' VH44-J booster. You can still buy new, or get a S/H one rekitted. If you want it to look pretty, get it chromed... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:40 pm 
848cc
848cc

a quote from repco for a PBR VH44 booster was around the $470 mark. (i didnt specify -J so im not sure if that impacts on the price much). Might be better off finding a second hand one and getting it reconditioned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:21 pm 
998cc
998cc

hey Spathi. I have boosted drums on mine.

Boosters are bloody great. Everyone says it reduces pedal effort(TRUE).

But If ya put the same effort in that ya were before, it'll work a hell of a lot better. I guarantee you'll like it much more. No need to stomp on the pedal at all.

When the mechanic took my car for a drive, he nearly put himself through the windscreen at the first corner.

And yeah I've got Krusty sized feet too. Always wonder why the car is revving her tits out when I pull up LOL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:13 pm 
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK

with some modification (brakets and such) i've been told a charade booster will fit like the late mode rover mini's had a look at a 99 modle tonight
makka

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:04 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Do note though that fitting a booster will not help in regards to munching down brake and accelerator. In my experience although the booster relieves pedal effort, I believe the pedal will in fact go down further (just get into a boosted car, hold the brake pedal down and start the motor and you'll see what I mean).

In my opinion it is true that boosters are only really a benefit for driving round car parks etc. I run unboosted and the brakes are just as good (if not better) braking from high speeds, but braking at low speeds (30mph for example) can be quite hard. I almost rammed my Mini up the arse of an Integra the other day so i can testify to this :)

As to better brake response, at low speeds it will stop much easier as I said, but you will to an extent lose the feedback through the pedal so it is harder to stop them from locking.

Remember that in emergency braking, the booster will make absolutely no difference, as you will no doubt be pushing the brakes through the floor no matter what!

If your brakes work at the moment, is it really worth the money and effort?

Anto.