Ausmini
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:18 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:29 am 
High heel ninja

Why go to the trouble & expence of putting a VTEC in a mini, i reckon my stroker motored clubman would give a VTECed clubman a real go, and it still the basic A series engine, i think the conversion is a death trap on wheels.

Doogie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:56 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

2 S's & a clubman wrote:
Why go to the trouble & expence of putting a VTEC in a mini, i reckon my stroker motored clubman would give a VTECed clubman a real go, and it still the basic A series engine, i think the conversion is a death trap on wheels.

Doogie

hmmmm i think that it would be very very hard to ADR the coversion if it were a "death trap"......... unless u make the choice to drive around unregistered. At around 170 -190 HP coming out of the 1.8 VTEC it would want to be a bloody monster stroker motor to compete...........

This page will give u an idea about the work that goes into the conversion http://www.plmini.com/vtech.htm

My 2 Cents

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:36 pm 
998cc
998cc

im pretty sure a round nose cV is about .02 to .05 less than the clubby.
Think the round nore is around 0.51
Whereas modern cars these days are around 0.30

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:08 pm 
848cc
848cc

id like to see anyone beat me off the lights!!!

IN A VTEC TURBO!!! :shock:

any starlet mini info please email to adsmini@hotmail.com

STARLET MINI SITE IN PROGRESS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:57 pm 
848cc
848cc

Trouble is, especially with front wheel drive cars, its hard to put power to the road...

With a desire to keep most of the other things other than the motor/box, drive shafts and brakes fairly standard you can't really run the width of tyre you need to put 200 odd horsies to the road. Even 13 inch wheels (which make the car slower via drag anyway...), especially the wide ones, put an enormous amount of extra load on wheelbearings, shocks, balljoints etc You wounldn't want to go any bigger/wider than what most of us run on our mini's anyway

If i stick a non a series in my mini i want to be able to still run 10 inch wheels (i want a sleeper), but also the ride is better for the driver, and for the car. My yokohama a008's are great on my 6 inch revolutions, but theres times when i would like a lot more traction with 110hp, let alone 200+

Also if one sticks an LSD in a car with that kind of power, it gets really dangerous on a slippery road.... (so warwick informed me today.... He runs a sports sedan with a twin cam 4AGE motor on a mini K box!!! class rules stipulate the car must have a mini box.... he also informed me the car has hit 256km/h!! doing 9400rpm, with still 600rpm more before maxing it out...)

I want the Ubermini too :twisted: but what im realising mroe and more is without a lot of careful planning and engineering one will end up with something that can be outperformed by hot 1275's like mine and the Dr's..... or won be reliable..... or will be downright dangerous!

G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:51 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Gareth...... well said. Starting from around $10,000 for a Swift engine conversion (If you are mechanically minded) to god knows what price for a VTEC conversion the process can get quickly out of hand money wise!!!!. And like u said if not done properly you will get picked off by a well sorted 1275..........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:02 pm 
religious status
religious status

I'm not real crazy about hybrid Minis, but-
At least the Swift GTI fits in there without a whole heap of body hacking. I saw Charlie Borg's VTEC Mini at the track, these VTEC motors are freakin' HUGE! All the suspension on it looked custom built too.
And, it spent most of the day in the garage... dunno what its problem was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:27 pm 
848cc
848cc

Cheers SG

BTW Kev, Warwick told me the V-TEC broke a driveshaft at that British day, thats why it pitted in... case in point really....

Other thing im worried about is room to work on the engine... might be able to get a swift motor into a round nose, but the pics i have seen look bloody tight, is there any routine sort of stuff, ie once every couple of years, that would require pulling out the engine? or something equally awkward.... Ideally i suppose one wouldl want a flipfront, for the room, but fiberglass ones are illegal in NSW, and i would rather not butcher my mini... erm..dont say anything kev :roll:

Yet another bloody thing to be considered when choosing a suitable donor powerplant....

G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:33 pm 
High heel ninja

To Adsmini, i think my Galant VR4 could "take you at the lights quite easily" even with the Cooper S on the trailer behind it.

Doogie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:51 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

He means he would beat people if he had a VTEC in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:15 pm 
848cc
848cc

well i think that is very disturbing!!!

can a WELL SORTED 1275 really keep up with a VTEC

can i bore my 1100 out to a 1275???

i wanna go faster!!! :roll:

any starlet mini info please email to adsmini@hotmail.com

STARLET MINI SITE IN PROGRESS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:49 pm 
religious status
religious status

adsmini wrote:
well i think that is very disturbing!!!

can a WELL SORTED 1275 really keep up with a VTEC

can i bore my 1100 out to a 1275???

i wanna go faster!!! :roll:

Ist question- probably not, but all that extra VTEC power is probably only useful between corners! :lol:

2ns question, NO- it won't go 1275. You can bore it to 68.0mm for Imp pistons (1215?cc) or maybe (if REAL lucky) 1251cc with +.-40" Imp pistons.
I've bored 3 of 'em over the years to 68.0mm, these days it's not really worth the hassle- just go get a 1275 motor- Metro or whatever. Stronger & more reliable. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:17 pm 
848cc
848cc

Quote:
Gareth_1330

Other thing im worried about is room to work on the engine... might be able to get a swift motor into a round nose, but the pics i have seen look bloody tight, is there any routine sort of stuff, ie once every couple of years, that would require pulling out the engine? or something equally awkward

1st thing with a modern transplant if you look after it you don’t really have to work on it.
2nd if you design it the right way you can pull a motor out in a few hours. and the only time you need to is for when you have to change a clutch. get a good clutch and you wont have to touch it.
3rd if you are really worried about it design a flip front. you can get to any thing with a flip front. but like i said put a good clutch in it look after it reasonably and it will just keep on running. i thrash mine daily and it hasn’t had a problem. i pulled it out once for when i did a respray, it was easy.

Personally I think there is no need for these Vtechs. A twincam 1.3 be it a swift GTi or a starlet GT. They are more then enough on a mini. stock N/A GTi is fast. Wont more speed slap on a turbo on it or get a starlet GT turbo.. With the 1.3 motor you can get enough power to wheel spin 3rd gear at 4000rpm when boost comes in. what is the point going to a 1.6 Vtech? Not only does it look out of place and needs huge expensive mods but will only go as far as a 1.3 ever will[/quote]