Ausmini
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 11:06 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:55 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Yeah I did them up to 40 coz that's what the book said - it didn't feel tight enough to me! But I don't want to overtighten!

Okay tomorrow morning I will re-torque to 50 as you suggest, maybe that will help.

Anto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:07 pm 
religious status
religious status

I didn't make that figure up.

One of my manuals says 50 for the head, IF they are BOLTS, as many 1098s here were.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:50 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I wasn't suggesting that you made the figures up - the particular manual I was looking at was an old one, from the sixties I think. My other manual gives figures for 1098 with bolts. Anyway, I've been test driving today round my suburb and all has been well. I bought a new temperature gauge and the temperature is fine (the reason my temp gauge wasn't giving a reading was because it was broken! Duh!)

However, as soon as I make the ~10km trip to uni, suddenly it has frothed up again, when I took the cap off a lot of pressure had built up and it spat froth out. Everytime I checked before when test driving it was fine, but then again that was when the engine was running - this time I took it off with the engine off. I am lost. I need my car, and I simply won't have the time to take the cylinder head off AGAIN for a few weeks, and it's a pain to be without a car until then. Could it be an unrelated problem, such as the water pump is no good or somehow there is an air leak in the cooling system, that somehow draws air in?

I just don't see how the engine can run fine, the temperature gauge was reading at most 180*F, not sure what that converts to but it's below boiling. No oil/coolant mix anywhere, the compression test returned fine.... can't think of much else to check!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:10 pm 
religious status
religious status

Anto,
I made that comment for the benefit of others- not everyone is aware that bolts were stock on some motors and had a different torque setting.

I had a Fiat with a pinhole leak somewhere- gave tiny bubbles, it persisted for years- but it wouldn't blow water out.

If it's not blowing water out and overheating, may I suggest you try adding some chemi-weld or similar. Won't hurt, and may fix it....

There's one product made from powdered glass, can't think of the name- it's in a blue? plastic bottle at most parts places. I used it to stop a pinhole leak in a Mini rad. Worked great. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:32 pm 
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK

hey pepper also works :)
makka

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:31 pm 
998cc
998cc

serious about teh pepper makka?!?!? HOW?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:04 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I'm told egg whites work as well.......

Kevin, is chemi-weld the same as that rad stop leak stuff, or more sophistamakated? I'm usually against wonder additives that's all!

Anto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:04 pm 
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK

yup it works just normal black pepper i dunno but it blocks holes
makka

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:33 pm 
religious status
religious status

Anto wrote:

Kevin, is chemi-weld the same as that rad stop leak stuff, or more sophistamakated? I'm usually against wonder additives that's all!

Anto.

Yeah it is rad stop leak. This stuff does work. I just can't remember the name... I gave the bottle to kazjim after I used 1/2. :?

Post subject: Cooking Lesson
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:36 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Anto wrote:

Anto.

Pepper works, Chemi Weld like the Doctor said but steer clear of Bars Leaks or stuff that contains Molybdenum....not good for water pumps.... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:49 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Well let's hope it works! I'm thinking the water pump could be up for replacement anyway, however I can't for the life of me find the weep hole to see if it is leaking or not. Will I see you at the lake tomorrow Mick?

Post subject: Lake
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:07 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Anto wrote:
Well let's hope it works! I'm thinking the water pump could be up for replacement anyway, however I can't for the life of me find the weep hole to see if it is leaking or not. Will I see you at the lake tomorrow Mick?

Weep hole?...........I'll look that one up!! :roll: Yep should be done by the lake....see you there.....do you want me to have a few gallons of water handy? :shock: :lol:

BTW isn't 212 degs F/100 degs C the boiling point of water...it worries me how much trivia I'v forgotten :roll:

Post subject: Re: Lake
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:34 am 
religious status
religious status

9YaTaH wrote:
Anto wrote:

Weep hole?...........I'll look that one up!! :roll: Yep should be done by the lake....see you there.....do you want me to have a few gallons of water handy? :shock: :lol:

BTW isn't 212 degs F/100 degs C the boiling point of water...it worries me how much trivia I'v forgotten :roll:

Weep hole is a hole drilled in the bottom of most pumps, between seal and bearing. Not all have it.
Once water gets thru the seal the pump's had the richard anyway. :lol:

Post subject: Re: Lake
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:07 am 
1275cc
1275cc

drmini in aust wrote:
Weep hole is a hole drilled in the bottom of most pumps, between seal and bearing. Not all have it.
Once water gets thru the seal the pump's had the richard anyway. :lol:

Yes I don't think mine has it. The one on my old motor (was a much newer pump than this one) had it and you had a 50/50 chance of ALL the coolant running out the bottom when you parked. Sometimes it didn't leak a bit!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:52 pm 
848cc
848cc

to be more technical: its da hole yer water pisses out of when yer waterpump is f*cked

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next