Ausmini
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:48 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Prince of Darkness
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:15 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I have a Headlight Gremlin - actually self inflicted.

Today I installed a "New Era" dual headlight relay into the 71 clubman, and now have the nice clicking sound a relay should make but no lights. It is the dual type with in-built 30A fuses.

I cut the two respective wires in the loom that the manual said were the ones - blue with red trace for low beam, blue with white trace for High. And connected them to the switch side of the relay (S1, S2) as they came into the engine bay area (actually cut it down near the clutch housing as that is where the relay is mounted).

The other end of these wires went onto the lights side of the relay (L1, L2).

12V power came off a spare terminal on the solenoid thingy (which I tested had 12V with a multimeter) and was connected to the "B" tab on the relay. That only leaves an earth wire on the "S" tab on the lights side which was earthed on the screw which I used to mount the relay.

As I said, when I switch the light rocker switch on, it doesn't click the relay until the headlight position is reached. Changing from low to High and vice-versa produces the characteristic clicking sound of the relay(s) and the multimeter has 12V at the correct positions on the switch side of the relay but nothing on the light sides. And no headlights at any position. Parkers work, and fuses OK.

The lights themselves are Cibie Z beam Halogen replacements which have been in and working for 3-4 years prior to today's activities.

Have I missed something obvious, or could the relay be faulty? The fact it is clicking at the right moments leads me to think I've got it right, but darkness prevails. Any ideas?

KB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:15 pm 
998cc
998cc

Hey try checking that you do have 12v form the solenoid to the relay.

It sounds to me that you do not have any voltage leaving the relay .

May Be a faulty relay too.

What Is It

A Bloody Mini

1970 Mini K, 1380cc, 1.75 HIF SU, 30 70 Cam, 2" Zorts
1969 Mini K, Stock Standard and Orginal. (Slow as Hell)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:18 pm 
religious status
religious status

Sounds like you have a dud relay. A New Era of Darkness... :lol:

I'm gonna fit one soon, but I want a Hella or similar, they cost more $$ but tend to keep working.. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:02 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Yep - it did have 12V from the solenoid (tested at both the solenoid and the "B" tab on the relay). And no, it doesn't have 12V leaving the relay.

I thought since it was clicking and the fuses were Ok, that the relay itself should be OK (was bought new from Supercheap $34.99 ready to install a week or so before - hope I still have the receipt!).

Looks like I'll disconnect it and return for another exchange item to try.

New Era used to be the gun one to use in the 80's when we all ran around in Datsun 1600's in the forests, so I figured it would be OK.

Thanks for the input. I'll let you know how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:36 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Successful night in the garage tonight!

Went to Supercheap lunchtime today and swapped over the New Era for another identical unit off the shelf - they didn't even quibble about not having the receipt anymore, the bubbly girl behind the counter was most obliging.

After dinner, braved the cold and rain to run to the garage and set about installing the replacement relay. Worked first time after re-installation so WAS a faulty relay new from the shop. Now I have lights, correctly clicking and switching over as they should. Woo Hoo :D

Since that took so little time also got around to a few little jobs outstanding on one of the non-mini's (Renaults) that also share the garage.
KB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:11 pm 
religious status
religious status

Well I was at Supercheap today and also picked up a New Era headlamp relay, after I found they are `Made in Japan' (not PRoT or PRoC)...!

I like how it has 2x 30A fuses plugged in- I can run a 12V feed to it straight from the battery stud on the solenoid.. :P

I'll let you know how it goes, after I get some decent (marine, tinned copper) cable and lugs for it. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:22 pm 
Causing or creating vexation

Is it the plastic one or the older metal cover one?

The metal ones were very good, if you had a switch failure you just poped the cover off and jammed the contacts to turn the lights back on! The rally cars loved them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:33 pm 
religious status
religious status

Nope, this one is moulded plastic and doesn't come off, without a BFH... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:53 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

$35 relay must be special Jaycar have 30amp relays for $6
http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SY4068&CATID=&keywords=relay&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

My greatest fear in life is that when I die my wife will sell my Mini and tools for the price I told her I paid for them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:11 am 
1360cc
1360cc

What does this said "New Era" headlamp do thingy actually do??

:? I would be very interested to find out.
Hopefully another gadget to add on and make it a bit more modern, ive just finished my interior light delay kit... close the door and the light stays on for 10 secs then fades out.

Talk about class, mate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:32 am 
religious status
religious status

It's a dual (high & low beam) relay. You wire it into the lamp wiring so the lamp load doesn't need to go thru the high/low beam switch on the column like normal. So the switch only carries the coil current for the relay, it will last longer... 8)

Wombat- yes there are cheaper relays. Could have bought cheaper ones at Supercheap, but I just distrust some of this Chinese/Taiwanese stuff...
I also bought some $2 lamps there for the boat trailer, pulled them apart- they are REAL crap- steel contacts inside, a clamp screw missing... :x
You do get what you pay for. I might go find some more Hellas- the originals are 29 years old now! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:29 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Doc,

Hope it wasn't the same supercheap I bought mine from (Mt Druitt) as they put the faulty unit I exchanged back on Shelf!! - I told them it was faulty. Went back a few days later and there it was. They only had two on shelf before I got the first one, and the box had been opened on the one left on shelf after I swapped.

I like the unit too, for the same reasons. Mine hooked up easy as, once I got one which worked. I'm gunna go to another Supercheap and get another for the renault.

KB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:47 pm 
religious status
religious status

Got mine from Blacktown. Hope it's OK.

Heh- I'll go check it now... :P

<edit> "Is Don, is Good.." 8)