Ausmini
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:53 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Garrett T2
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:41 pm 
848cc
848cc

I have been given a T2 with watercooling (has a tiny jacket around it in the middle between the exhaust and inlet sides) by a mate off an ET pulsar he is wrecking. I was just wondering if it would be too big for a mini engine either small or large bore. It will fit in the same place as james has installed his on the 998. Also, does anyone know what its worth?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:46 pm 
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK

same as the one in the blue clubman of rob diamantie's
on a 1275
makka

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:53 pm 
848cc
848cc

Ill have a stab at one bit of this, it shoulldn't be too big for a mini, although maybe more suitable for 1275, as i understand with turbocharging bigger turbo's mean more lag, but they have to be pretty oversized before it is to much... Some of these turbo hoons are binning turbo's from even 4 cylinders bigger than we could ever make use of within the limitations of, say a mini gearbox, and replacing them with monsterous turbo's.. An Et

Pulsar is still a pretty small 4 cylinder, puffer shoulldn't be too big... Hey see if you can get the dizzy too.... James was asking me about them, something do do with the possibility of fuel economy because of some little jigger on the dizzy he reckoned.

C'mon Kazjim share your forced induction wisdom :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:33 pm 
848cc
848cc

Are the ET dizzy's adaptable to a mini aswell? i was tempted to take it off when i was taking the turbo off but i was running low on time. Ive also scored an oxygen sensor which could be useful for tuning if i fit it to my manifold (brand new bosch one). It also looks as though the t2 has an integral wastegate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:02 am 
848cc
848cc

The non turbo ET dizzy's are the ones we use on the mini's, the motor is an e15 and the model of pulsar n12.... If the turbo ET is based on the same block it would be fair to assume the dizzy will be just as good as a non turbo electronic one (which is better than a shitty lucas), with a few extra bells and whistles for your turbo, im annoyed i cant quite recall the entire conversation i had with james, and arent more down with forced induction... I figured id master normal induction first... but it seems that might be more than a lifetimes work, so it might be time to tinker with something forced soon heh. There was something james suspected would be on the dizzy that he figured would greatly improve fuel economy, something to do with advance and the way turbo's are timed i believe...

G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:36 am 
1275cc
1275cc

If I remember correctly the Pulsar ET Turbo had a advance RETARD on full boost to avoid detination.

Could be useful on a Turbo Mini. :)

1966 Austin Mini
1965 Morris Mini Traveller
1973 LR Series 3 88
2007 LR Freelander 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:58 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Definetely sounds like you should score that dizzy Chris. I'm looking at a Mini magazine article now about Mini turbos, most of them run T3s a la Metro turbo, but two are running T2s. I haven't researched too much into turbos, but I thought if you run less boost anyway the turbo size wouldn't matter. Or is it like Webers, where a 45DCOE and a 40DCOE have different flow characteristics even with the same chokes?

Anyway you'll want a look at this mag coz it's got a cut-away diagram of a turbo in it. You've got to find out what condition your turbo is before you can do anything with it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:57 pm 
848cc
848cc

T2 should be good. with turbo size also means efficiency, you could have a T2 running 6psi and a T3 running 6psi but the bigger turbo will have more efficiency. it will run cooler and create more power at the same psi as a smaller turbo does.. so it will work less to produce the same power as a smaller turbo would. but you can only go so big. or you will get magger lag. now days with turbo tech you can get twin ball bearing turbo and allsorts. but you pay for it. you could end up paying up to 3000 just for a turbo. but you will also get the power the efficiency and no lag, or very little.

but yea T2 should be fine. i bought a T2 for my clubby and was going to do a turbo conversion on it. but never got round to it. but maybe ill get into it again one day when i have some spear time.

You wonted to know how much its worth. Well I bought my T2 for $250 of a mate. There worth somewhere around there depends on the condition.